A.C. Ignition Company Catalogue ( or LM gears)

gervaisgt

I am searching for the A.C. Ignition Company ( Detroit Michigan 1915 to maybe 30's or 40's ?) Catalogue or photocopy of the Ignition and Driver Gears Section.

That company had their own NORS parts numbers and they where selling the: Genuine LM Gears.

Or do you have any info on the LM trademark gear company.

This A.C. Ignition Company must been real big since that every dist gears that L M produced back then have an A C catalogue parts number!

OR, is there an actual spotter guide of some sort that could help me identifying very old distributor gears?

Unfortunately to my knowledge United Motors Service Manuals only deal with Delco-Remy with their own original part numbers !!

I already have some of those United catalogs and the pictures are so small that it is nearly impossible to properly compare with the gears I have on hands.

This " Genuine L.M. (trademark) Gears" LM gears co duplicated igniter gears for both Follower and Driver gears for: Autolite,Connecticut, Delco, Atwater-Kent, Northeast, Remy, Bosch, Westinghouse and some obscur others !!

Thank you.

I guess that you are asking about some gears?

If you are asking about ignition parts/ sparkplugs, then you might need to look at AC Spark Plug catalogues of the time.  The AC stands for Albert Champion who Billy Durant brought into the General Motors fold in the early years.  Albert Champion eventually left AC Spark Plug Company in 1909 and started up the Champion Spark Plug  Company.  Look here for the history.  https://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wiki/index.php/AC_Spark_Plug_Division

That A.C.Ignition company was a sort of very large auto parts warehouse back in the day with their own parts numbers.

If it would had been AC Spark Plug there might had been some indication in the small parts catalog I have.

The only one A.C. Catalog I have now on hand is No: 6 and only 1 gear number match.

So my conclusion might be to try to find a " Genuine LM Gears" catalog.

I've post some pictures of the gears with beside them their actual casting numbers  + the LM logo also punched to each of them.

Thank you so much guys for your help.

IMG_8921.JPG

IMG_8922.JPG

IMG_8923.JPG

IMG_8924.JPG

IMG_8926.JPG

IMG_8927.JPG

IMG_8929.JPG

IMG_8930.JPG

IMG_8931.JPG

IMG_8932.JPG

IMG_8933.JPG

IMG_8934.JPG

• Like 4

Thanks Larry, I've just found out that this LM Gears company open its door in 1914 and they where

bought by Anderson.cook that are still today producing automotive gears for the industries.

I've sent them an email with my obscur request and for the moment I still feel like sending a message in a bottle !!!

Any other leads toward those listings would be welcome and apreciated.

• 5 years later...
On 3/5/2018 at 2:04 PM, Larry Schramm said:

You might try the Detroit Public Library, Automotive History Collection.  There was a building issue last year and are working to reopen the collection. 

Look here.  https://detroitpubliclibrary.org/research/national-automotive-history-collection

Thanks Larry, but after five years searching, I still haven't found anything about LM Gears parts catalog, and I definitely don't want those gears ending as artwork pieces.