harmonic balancer

harry yarnell

I am quite sure that only the 88s and early 89s are a slip on design.  Do a Google search to make sure though.

In fact, I did a quick search at NAPA's site and found the 88 and 91s have different Dorman parts numbers.  When I installed a new one on my 88 I rented a puller but was surprised that I did not need it as the old one slipped off easily.

To my knowledge only the 1991 is a press fit balancer. RockAuto.com seems to agree as they list the same part numbers for 1988-1990 balancer. There are a number of reasons the balancer won't slide off easily. Corrosion and bad crankshaft key/keyway are two that come to mind,

Actually I lied.

The car is a '93 Riviera. Hey, it's the same as a Reatta. Not.

The HB is pressed on. The three threaded puller holes are hidden behind slots.

I got it off. Interesting, the CPS isn't adjustable as in earlier 3800's. It's one solid assy; You just just bolt it on and reinstall the HB.

7 minutes ago, harry yarnell said:

Actually I lied.

The car is a '93 Riviera. Hey, it's the same as a Reatta. Not.

The HB is pressed on. The three threaded puller holes are hidden behind slots.

I got it off. Interesting, the CPS isn't adjustable as in earlier 3800's. It's one solid assy; You just just bolt it on and reinstall the HB.

No problem. We'll lie to you the next time we answer your questions. :)

Looks like all C (88-90) engines use the same balancer since it s the same crank, 25533717, "L" engine had a 24501594 so that must have been where it changed (nothing guaranteed from memory).

10 hours ago, AZVET said:

I am quite sure that only the 88s and early 89s are a slip on design.

My '89 is a slip fit and I am glad it is. I have changed plenty of CPS's. Good that they changed to a non-adjustable CPS. Too late for us. I use a couple thicknesses of tape on each side of the slotted ring in order to align the CPS before tightening the clamp. Are there any better ideas?

There was an official Kent Moore tool for adjusting the cps if you can find it. I have one, will need to dig it out and post the number later. Not difficult to turn up on eBay, that's where I bought mine. It does double duty to check the vanes on the back of the harmonic balancer  are straight , as well. 

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)