You know you've been playing with old cars a long time when...

Restorer32

....when you look in a book from 1968 that shows yourself as a 7 or 8 year old (photo taken about 1959...book by Wherry: Automobiles of the World) watching old cars at Greenfield Village. I am on the far right standing next to my brother. We are wearing suspenders which I may have to start wearing again....

1.jpg

3 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Agreed, it's difficult for me to apply any of the terms like classic, vintage, antique, etc. to any car from the 80's or 90's with plastic bumpers

Errr, my '70 has a non-ferrous bumper.

8 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

Or have a very good paint job done at a restoration shop for under $5,000.

My 1931 Chevrolet was, in 1966, 15 coats of "hand rubbed" lacquer, complete paint job cost $200.  Spray on 3 coats, sand off 2 coats, repeat 5 times.  I know, because I had a friend at the time who did the painting, and I did the sanding along with him.  No paint booth, that was an advantage of lacquer, it dried so quickly nothing stuck to it.  Oh, and I was 15 years old, restoring my first car at my father's expense.  We ended up with a total of $550 in the car, including engine work, upholstery, paint...no chrome, that was an extravagance reserved for other people, so the best used chrome was put on car....note that front bumper is painted, and back then, no one cared....by the way, in the frame picture, those are new old stock fenders, you could find stuff like that in the 60's, when the car was only 30 years old....

scan0005.jpg

scan0002.jpg

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

You watched the door open on the side of the Passport truck and there it was, the World Record setting Most Expensive Car Sold at Auction at $65,000!

Yes, that reminds me of my late good friend in Baton Rough, B.B. Crump.  He had a great collection of car, about 50 and mostly Full Classics, Stutz, Cord L-29, and so forth, and wanted a Duesenberg in the best way.

He went to an auction, this would have been mid-1980's, and he bought a beautiful convertible sedan, 1933 or 1934, and paid $190,000 for it, which was at the time a world record auction price for a Duesenberg.  It was beautiful, only Duesenberg I've ever driven.  Ended up in the Lassiter collection, not sure where it is now, dark maroon.....

Bill Lassiter, that was a guy with a lot of personal class and a great collection of cars. He used to hang out with a friend that had Hershey spots next to me years ago, that was were I first met him. His exBill Harrah Model K Ford is a few towns over from me now, I think of him whenever I see the Model K. It is good to mention old friends we've had in the hobby, keeps their memory alive. Bob 

• Like 1

You know you've been playing around with old cars for a long time when...

You clearly remember your parents and their friends in the antique car club spending most of their time during a chapter business meeting, discussing the stunning event which just happened, which might mean the end of the old car hobby... It turned out that one of our chapter members had just sold his restored 1931 Chrysler rumble seat roadster for $15,000...more than double what my parents had paid for their home only 2 or 3 years before. Would this mean that none of them would soon be able to afford old cars any more?!?!?! 

• Like 1

You can recall your family having to park their 1929 Model A roadster out in the general admission lot, because it wasn't old enough to qualify as an antique car in the official AACA regional car show event, even though it was over 30 years old. This in spite of your parents both being official judges at the event.

Arbitrary cutoff year was 1928 then. This was fairly ironic, since it is hard for most folks to tell most correct original (or restored) 1929 Model A Fords from most 1928 Model A's. (I recall good friends there urging Dad to paint his steering wheel red, and call it a 28...but his personal ethics wouldn't allow him to do that!)

Cheers!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2018 at 9:14 PM, lump said:

You can recall your family having to park their 1929 Model A roadster out in the general admission lot, because it wasn't old enough to qualify as an antique car in the official AACA regional car show event, even though it was over 30 years old. This in spite of your parents both being official judges at the event.

Arbitrary cutoff year was 1928 then. This was fairly ironic, since it is hard for most folks to tell most correct original (or restored) 1929 Model A Fords from most 1928 Model A's. (I recall good friends there urging Dad to paint his steering wheel red, and call it a 28...but his personal ethics wouldn't allow him to do that!)

Cheers!

You mean painting it with "Red Oxide Primer".

• Like 1