You know you've been playing with old cars a long time when...

Restorer32

Back when you could actually sell junk tubes for money Dad would sent a trailer load to Akron once a year.  I remember them being worth .05/lb delivered to Goodrich in Akron.  My job was to cut out the brass valve stems. When we had a barrel full we would burn the rubber off them and sell the brass for scrap.

[You know you've been playing with old cars a long time when...]

The mechanic who I use has been in the trade since he was a kid and worked at his Uncle's gas station / shop. Uncle Frank retired and sold the business to his nephew with all the contents. When I brought the Special over to have the brakes bleed and set up he mentioned he had an adaptor they used to screw into the master cylinder allowing a pressurised tank of brake fluid to assist for a one man bleeding operation.

With a bit of scrounging around he produced it and with a quick touch on a wire wheel to clean the threads, away he went bleeding the system.

He remembered using it on the local paper delivery Dodge Trucks since Uncle Frank had the maintenance contract back then.

Also went there recently to see if he had the fat long stem valves for my rims and came up with five new in a shelf.

Not many business around here can do this for you today.

• Like 2

My hardware collection is smaller but very similar. I used to keep all the leftover fasteners from cars I stripped and I never throw out any good nut, bolt, screw or washer, not to mention cage nuts, body shims, etc. Most are in about 6 old two-pound coffee cans plus two or three of those plastic pull-out drawer units. I also inherited all my Dad's old fasteners (and tools). For the longest time the only organization of this mess was a separate can for metric stuff but about four years ago I finally separated all the coffee can contents and labeled them so I no longer have to dump out three cans full and sift through to find what I need....

• Like 2

I realized I had to many left over car parts around the barn when my two grandsons age 10 & 11 last spring. When asked if it was ok and if I would  help them put together a car from the extra parts I had around. True story and by son just stood there and smiled.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

pic 001.jpg

pic 002.jpg

The OP was talking about indications that you have been in this hobby for a long time.  Your example, while funny, isn't true.  Your illustration is what can happen overnight.

Comment made in keeping with your humor, which I appreciate.

Edited by kgreen (see edit history)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

pic 001.jpg

pic 002.jpg

Very true!!! Even being in this Antique car forum is costing me money. Last week I bought a 1912 Ford T touring that a fellow blogger posted in the topic (OK You Old Timers! What were Project Cars like in 1975?  and I did thank him and the wife wants to talk to him also.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Your misc nut and bolt bin looks like this...and this...and this.

nuts and bolts 2.jpg

nuts and bolts 3.jpg

nuts and bolts.jpg

This is the stuff my nightmares are filled with. Bins and bins of new parts also. Mostly gone now thanks to @JACK M‘s help finding scrappers and the shop sale.

Looks like I get to clear out my Oregon home next, that I have lived in since 1995. Much less accumulation in the garage, although my ex did leave quite a collection of nuts and bolts and assorted stuff from his construction business. ?‍♀️  

I gave up on lightweight plastic containers like the split one in your post. I now use 20 Litre oil buckets. At work we used a dozen or more a month and most just ended up in the trash. So I wash one out every now and then and take it home. They last for at least 10 years or more before splitting. And the lids snap back on to keep the dust out

Greg in Canada

You know you've been playing with old cars a long time when the car/truck/ute you bought new to bring home parts for your latest project is itself now a 40 year old collector car.It qualified for historic vehicle plates while I was still working at the place I bought it.I knew then that it was time to retire ! Photo shows my brand new '78 GMC Caballero.

Slides from carousels 3 002.JPG

• Like 2

The garage my Dad owns was his dads before him (started late 20, early 30s) and about 20 yrs ago my Dad gave me a box full of nuts & bolts all for Model T's from when my Grandfather ran the Garage. It sure has come in handy as I have 5 Model T's now, and I still have lots of nuts and bolts and other misc parts left over. You can go in the old stock room and there are all kids of hidden gyms from the 40s, 50s and 60s. We came across a brass windshield frame for an 10/11 Model T about 10 yrs ago, Dad who had ran the  body shop since the early 70s never even knew it was there. It was something he figures my grandfather stashed away in the 30s.

Jeff  

• Like 1

When you were the youngest guy in the local club when you joined 45 years ago, and you still are!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

...photos of AACA tours you attended as a child show "modern transportation cars" in the background...the newest of which have been eligible for display at Hershey for about 35 years now! That's my dad, sitting on the milk crate. I was probably standing next to my Mom while she took the photo. 

scan0058.jpg

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, trimacar said:

Here's how I find the part I need..........turn up the volume and see if you recognize the sound...

February 2018 020.MOV

AH! In my home growing up, it was the dreaded dishpan. Dad would need a nut, or bolt, or something and we'd be sent to the "dreaded dishpan" to search just like your movie illustrates! The experience has had me more than once make a trip to the hardware store only to find what I needed in my own junk box later -- just didn't want to search!

The old cars that you now have weren't old when you got them, just everyday drivers.  And all of their contemporaries seem to have vanished, making yours a rarity in your area.

Common service practices that you learned back in the day are now incredible, nearly fictional, stories when told to younger service techs.  Think relining brake shoes, polarizing generators, rebushing distributors, rebuilding fuel pumps, reaming kingpins, rodding out radiators, adjusting voltage regulators, etc.

I hate to say it but the hobby has totally changed around. At one time when I got into this hobby back in the 70s it was young guys driving antique cars. Now today it is antique guys driving younger cars.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

That's right!  When we started touring, there were plenty of pre WWII cars, now many guys bring the newest car allowed.    In the beginning the cars were all older than the drivers.  Now, almost all the drivers are older than their cars. 

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

....now many guys bring the newest car allowed. 

Agreed, it's difficult for me to apply any of the terms like classic, vintage, antique, etc. to any car from the 80's or 90's with plastic bumpers.

I hold fast to the idea that if it is new enough for me to have bought since I was old enough to drive, it probably shouldn't qualify. :lol:

I realize how long it's been when I talk about the "common" cars around town when I was young that folks these days have no idea what I mean.  And, the folks that ask me who made my Studebaker and Austin... Oh well, I don't recognize the jelly beans that most folks drive today, so I guess we're even.

I think the realization that I'm a modern day dinosaur comes for me regularly when I go into my local parts store and ask the young girl at the counter for valve cover gaskets/ fuel pump/ valve seals/ intake set/ or any number of other (formerly) common items for a small block Chevrolet, and she gets that "deer in the headlights" look while nervously glancing back and forth from me to her computer screen and says "A small what?" :(

...so many left over bolts, parts, carcasses of derelict stuff left over from rescuing the "good Stuff"   that I had to have an auction to down size. 

......Ahhhh, the days of putting a coil, points, condenser and charging the magnet on a Magneto.

.....Carburetors were made of brass and many had cork floats.

.....Most of my fondest friends, those I learned from, and customers are no longer with us. Dandy Dave!   

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Just now, Dandy Dave said:

...so many left over bolts,

Dandy Dave!   

Dave, we call those optional parts, because there are always leftover parts after any repair.

3 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Agreed, it's difficult for me to apply any of the terms like classic, vintage, antique, etc. to any car from the 80's or 90's with plastic bumpers.

I hold fast to the idea that if it is new enough for me to have bought since I was old enough to drive, it probably shouldn't qualify. :lol:

I have a hard time calling a car antique that has any more electrification than a magneto.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1