Lisa P

1951 Pontiac Chieftain Basket Case-Almost

Thanks to Mr. John Harvey, a friend of mine, I have acquired a '51 Chieftain 4 door sedan that is almost completely disassembled.  I have the shop manual, the body and frame manual issued 1961, and a Chiltons but cannot find a good photograph or diagram of the throttle rod/linkage that is mounted with brackets bolted to the firewall.  My problem is that when the linkage is installed in the brackets, it appears the brackets are either too far apart or the linkage is too short.  With a little push to either side, the linkage falls out of the brackets.  What might I be missing?  Is it possible that the linkage was bent thus making it shorter?  If anyone has a good photo of this setup, I would be thrilled to see it. Thanks in advance for your time! 

I might be of some help with a few pictures.  But before I do can you post some pictures of what exactly the issue you are up against?

Chris

Thanks Chris!  This is the bracket in question.  Perhaps when the linkage is all connected, it doesn't move from side to side as much?  I also have other questions regarding the Pontiac if you're willing to help...

20180228_090046.jpg

How about, where in the world does the oil pressure gauge plumb into?  And, the photo of the motor is just to let you all know what I'm working with :)  I have worked with old cars before, including a 1955 Willys truck, 1950 Desoto, 1959 Desoto, 1948 Kaiser, 1931 Franklin and a 1956 Imperial.  This is the only "basket case" car that I have dealt with but I love a good challenge.  Thanks again in advance for your time, I do appreciate it!

20180228_123301.jpg

Edited by Lisa P
Answered my own question. (see edit history)

Lisa,

I can't get back to you until Sunday night with any information.  But I can say on the 1940 Pontiac that rod extends out from the right fastener about 8 inches to accommodate a coiled throttle spring that's attached to that rod and builds tension off the firewall as the throttle is applied.  I'll look and see if that's that case on '51 on Sunday.

Chris

Edited by deac (see edit history)

Well Lisa,

I had a '51 Pontiac wagon and a '50 Pontiac 2 door coupe to look at.  The '51 wagon did not have the set up on the fire wall like yours; it has a linkage set up that mounts over the head of the engine between the 7th and 8th spark plug.  The '50 has a set up much the same as yours.  These idiosyncrasies are normal in these years for Pontiac so don't think your Pontiac had installed incorrect parts or someone used last years parts on your car.  This could very well be factory installed.  If the rod is just too short maybe you could straighten out the rod and/or loosen the bolts on the fire wall mounted clamps and see if you can adjust/move the clamps.  Worse comes to worse get another rod bent and weld the the bracket for the spring to it.  It's an old car and sometimes you have to be creative! 

Your picture shows what I believe to be the drivers side of the throttle linkage/rod and is correct!  The passenger side of the rod should look the same only there should be a bracket with a spring for the throttle spring attached to it inbound of that clamp bolted to the fire wall .  So therefore I have attached 2 pictures for you.

Chris

drivers side.jpg

passenger side.jpg

Chris, thanks so much for the photos!  I think I have found the answer in that small spring between the end of the throttle linkage/rod and the bracket that holds it to the firewall.  If I had a spring like this on each end, it could hold the linkage centered between the two brackets that are bolted to the firewall.  Or as you suggested, I could take the linkage out to see if it is bent in any way.  It appears that I need to look for a throttle return spring in my totes full of parts as well.  I am relieved that so far my set up looks correct.  Thanks again for your time, I really appreciate it!  Oh, and your car looks very clean!

I thought that spring could be your answer!  The car I got those pictures from is a restored '50 coupe.  It's won awards at shows.  I am working on a '40 Pontiac Torpedo coupe it has close to the same type of linkage only the bracket is outbound of that fire wall mounted clamp.  This car is much harder to find parts for because it's a very rare Pontiac and produced for one year.

my '40 Pontiac 1.jpg

Chris, that is one gorgeous '40 Torpedo!  I have never seen one out and about, but sadly you just don't see many older cars driven these days.  The 1950 that you took the photo of sounds nice as well, these are really very nice cars.  I am pretty happy to have finally found one for myself!