1941 Buick - not mine

BUICK RACER

Nice car, no title is an issue but....

Ad text:

Up for sale is an incredibly nice survivor....that was in the same family for over 40 years.

This cars start, runs, and can be driven around the parking lot.
NO TITLE, No Brakes, but the emergency hand brake will stop the car.

New battery, new spark plugs, cap, rotor, condenser, points, and coil.
Recently wheel bearings, tires, wiring, radiator hoses.

This is NOT a rust bucket, its very solid all around, pics show the very few minor spots showing from age.
Doors shut perfectly, glass is in great shape, missing only 1 small piece of trim on the Passenger front fender.

Inline "Fireball" 8 Cylinder Engine
248CI Engine - 125 HP / 215 Ft/lbs Torque
3 "on the tree" Manual Transmission
Pedal Start Ignition
Dual Carburetor 
Optional Oil Filter 

Reasonable offers considered, Trades welcome.
248-500-Nine8Six6

00y0y_fK9M9G5s6MK_600x450.jpg

In IN you can take your bill of sale to the court and petition for a title.  If no one else lays claim to it then 90 days and less than $100 later you have a court order for a title you can take to the BMV.

I imagine other states have something similar?  Kind of a hassle but fairly straightforward.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lancemb said:

In IN you can take your bill of sale to the court and petition for a title.  If no one else lays claim to it then 90 days and less than $100 later you have a court order for a title you can take to the BMV.

I imagine other states have something similar?  Kind of a hassle but fairly straightforward.

Yes we do in NC, but if someone lays claim?....

15 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Yes we do in NC, but if someone lays claim?....

You have to read the situation.  But only people named would be seller and the state.  So unless the state has record of it belonging to someone else it won't be contested.

One possibility in a case like this is to make the sale price lower with a contingency based on successful acquisition of the title.

• Like 1

North Carolina is now probably one of the worst states to deal with to register an antique car purchased without a title. Despite that, in NC you can still obtain a bonded title if there is no title.

As long as you have a bill of sale listing the correct original serial number tag attached to the car with the correct original rivets it is much easier to obtain a title. If you have any issue with the tag or rivets, you might want to stay away from a car without a title if you  in NC. The local license plate office can give you a "value" on the car from their database. You have to buy a bond, typically from your insurance company, for 1 and a half times that value. For my 1938 Buick Restoration project I had to deal with this issue since there was no title and the frame number tag was with the car but not attached with the original rivets. It cost me an extra $150 for the 1938 Buick bond for the title due to the missing original rivets, in spite of many old registration papers with the engine number and frame number matching the engine and frame numbers of the car. 

If a car can be titled? (Ownership) why doesn't the present owner get the proper paperwork and sell his car with all correct and legal documents?  Car is worth more and the current owner should have the easiest time with the DVM?  Regards, Gary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, it may be that the seller is located in a state where a new title is difficult to obtain and hoping to find an optimistic buyer or -- failing that -- a buyer located in a relatively easy-title state.  By the way, I have a friend here in easy-title Nevada who buys untitled cars all the time, gets them titled, and flips them accordingly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cxgvd said:

If a car can be titled? (Ownership) why doesn't the present owner get the proper paperwork and sell his car with all correct and legal documents?  Car is worth more and the current owner should have the easiest time with the DVM?  Regards, Gary

I have $5 that says the seller either A. bought it that way and has recently realized that getting a title is NOT easy, or B. is one of those rebels who hates paying taxes and doesn't want to put it in his own name, which is as good as no title. Now he's fishing for a fresh sucker more foolish than himself.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Matt, I'm not sure what you mean in indicating that a title not in the seller's name is "as good as no title at all."  That is generally  called, if I'm not mistaken, an "open" title, and -- at least out here in the Wild West -- I've seen many vehicles sold and subsequently re-titled/registered to the buyer on that questionable basis.  My understanding of this practice is that sellers of using open titles are avoiding having to register as dealers with DMV, thereby avoiding a host of requirements with which I'm sure you're more familiar than I.

Further, in many states, "casual" (i.e., private party) sales are exempt from sales tax -- meaning that sub rosa sellers staying under the radar with open titles have a bottom-line price advantage over dealers.  That, I suspect, is why many buyers go along with such shenanigans.

I wonder what part of the wild west you are in?

In WA(USA) it is exactly as Matt says. Also nobody is exempt from sales tax in WA. If for some reason you are not liable for sales tax, then you are liable for "use tax" at the same rate as sales tax.

These title threads are silly. They happen all the time. Some folks go on and on about how easy it is, leaving those of us in places like WA either scratching our heads or laughing hysterically. WA has got a little easier in recent years, but still, a title not in the sellers name or with the wrong numbers does you no good, none at all.

It would be much more useful, in title threads, for a poster to stick to his/her own state while explaining how things work, and to specify which state (or province or country). Maybe some loopholes would pop up. Just a thought. :D

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

What I should have said is that if the title was already filled out with the previous buyer's name, it's no good to the next guy. If it's blank, well, I guess you can make it work, although it's going to raise more than a few eyebrows at the DMV if it's many years later.

We can't, by law, send out an "open" title like you suggest under any circumstances. Leaving the buyer and price fields blank is illegal and I can't imagine states other than Ohio thinking it's a good idea, either. I get asked on a daily basis to help people cheat on their taxes and I'm not going to risk my license to help a guy skip taxes that I'm paying myself (yes, all my cars are registered to me personally, not my dealership and yes, I paid the taxes on the full price). I also know that even if I put the buyer's name and the purchase price on the title, he's fairly likely to just throw it in a file and put some eBay YOM plates on the car and never register it so he can skip his taxes--after all, how often do cops run the plates on an old car? It's a low risk crime. When it comes time to sell, the seller figures it's the next guy's problem (and that guy sometimes calls me asking me to fix it, which makes for all kinds of misery for my wife AKA title clerk). That's what I meant by "as good as no title at all" because it already has someone else's name on it as the buyer; it's no good to the guy HE sells the car to because it's already filled in with someone else as the buyer.

Yes, an open title is something you can probably work with. However, it doesn't sound like in this case there's an open title or any title at all. And it's still illegal to do open titles, regardless of the reasons. Just because a lot of guys get away with it doesn't make it OK and we're seeing in our business that the DMVs are now linked pretty tightly in their computers and things like this get flagged rather than just pushed through by a clerk who isn't running a real-time check on the VIN. Thank the Department of Homeland Security for this little upgrade. I was in there the other day with a guy trying to convince the clerk that he just bought a 2014 Ford F150 for $250 from his "uncle." Really?!?

No title is bad. A title already made out to someone else is useless. An old blank title will get you scrutinized but you'll probably be OK. The question is: do you feel lucky?

Used car dealers title skip all the time here in KY.  It’s not enforced in the good ole boy counties throughout the state where the dealers and politicians are related.  The state loses all sorts of tax dollars because of it.  Just one of the littany of reasons education and progress in KY remains behind the rest of the nation.

Clearly the situation is different from state to state.  That said, I think it's a bit much to state that anyone who buys a car with no title is a fool.  If they pay full price, then yes.  But if you are in a state where it is fairly easy to obtain a title, and you get a car at a significant discount because it doesn't have one, I don't see the foolishness.  I think it makes more sense for a fairly inexpensive car like this because any small residual risk is mitigated by the price; I wouldn't do it on a $30k car.  Personally, living in IN, if I could get a $3k car for $1500 because it didn't have a title, that would be a really easy savings or profit potential of > $1k.

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2018 at 6:47 PM, Buickborn said:

Well, it may be that the seller is located in a state where a new title is difficult to obtain and hoping to find an optimistic buyer or -- failing that -- a buyer located in a relatively easy-title state.  By the way, I have a friend here in easy-title Nevada who buys untitled cars all the time, gets them titled, and flips them accordingly. 

Could you provide a reference to your friend?  My brother gave me a car that was on a property in Nevada he bought from the bank that took over a reverse mortgage after the owner died.   I found CA and NV plates, CA registrations, the latest being 1970.  Getting help from someone knowledgeable in Nevada would help.

Thanks,

Steve