Steering Gear lubricant change

Summershandy

I loves to change old fluids to new. I've had zero experience with steering gears. Manual doesn't want a change unless unit its disassembled for repairs. Of course, they didn't think their car would still be on the road 64 years later. Yay or nay? Would I be opening a can of worms or gear oil if you will? Just check the level? What you guys think? 

8 minutes ago, Summershandy said:

I don't think there's a cover per say. I thought I read somewhere to remove a bottom bolt and the fluid will empty from there. It's not the typical rear diff that I'm familiar with a cover on the backside, so I haven't pursued it. 

Some cars the fill hole is located on the side of the third member..

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up making a slurry mix out of grease and gear oil. Read up on grease being too thick and straight gear oil may leak if seals are worn. It took more than I thought so it had to be low. This should suffice, way I look at it I'm not doing any performance pylon driving. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2018 at 10:44 PM, C Carl said:

Very good idea , but not just any oil or grease. Semi-fluid 00 grease. Penrite Steering Box Lube is exactly that.   - Carl 

Where can this stuff be found? 

On 3/6/2018 at 8:55 AM, Summershandy said:

I ended up making a slurry mix out of grease and gear oil. Read up on grease being too thick and straight gear oil may leak if seals are worn. It took more than I thought so it had to be low. This should suffice, way I look at it I'm not doing any performance pylon driving. 

Was this for the steering gear? I’ll be filling mine up soon too

Hi Grizz ! Out here on the West  Coast , Restoration Supply Company in Escondido , CA carries Penrite. You might Google up someone close to you. Along with others , I am quite skeptical of the very heavy Penrite engine oils. Low detergent seems to be counter to modern thinking also. I am obsessive about using full synthetic engine oil , and all other lubricants. Currently use Amsoil , but if anyone comes up with anything superior , I will use that.   -    Carl 

4 hours ago, Summershandy said:

Yes. I think the pitman arm seal leaks somewhat so I may have to change that out someday. Some guys just shoot straight grease in there. You can read up on the debate about the different viscosities. 

Is there even a seal down there on your car? I don't think my '36 has one. I put that penrite stuff in and it stopped leaking.

Straight grease is not a good plan. It does not lubricate well because it wipes off and never flows back. After a time, it may migrate up the steering shaft and come out the top of the steering column.