John Byrd

Porcelain Exhaust manifolds

I have a friend with a mid-60s Corvette that is very careful, and proud of his car.  He has made the engine compartment look really nice, but is wondering if anyone using a modern, regularly driven car has any recommendations, warnings, or experience with the porcelain process for a "normal" car.  He is also wanting a satin or non-glossy finish.  Don't know if that's possible, but I told him someone on here will have something useful to say on the subject.  I've told him about all the vintage cars I'm familiar with that used this process from the factory and gave him a couple of links to check, but we both sure would like to hear some first hand  words.  Thanks folks !

A very good friend had the manifolds re porcelain coated on his 1930 Cadillac two years ago. He had to show them off so he drove the car to my place for my opinion. When he opened the hood the porcelain was coming off in large pieces. His chin hit the fender seeing he only got the car back an Hr. before that.

Porcelainizing for a '60s Corvette is not correct and will probably look very odd even on a car that isn't intended to be stock. I would recommend a ceramic coating such as offered by Jet-Hot. They can do something shiny, they can do something that looks like cast iron gray, and they might even have colors available now, I'm not positive. I usually do cast iron gray or satin black which looks clean but doesn't stand out. Porcelain is not very durable at all and will eventually crack no matter what he does. The ceramic coating will last forever.

Here's a '67 Corvette with exhaust manifolds that were ceramic coated in cast iron gray:

074.JPG.c2d10a52498eb4f2a9ea9572798930ff.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Matt !  I told him that ceramic coatings would probably be a cheaper option, but had no idea about durability.  He has no concern about being exactly proper, unlike a lot of our Vette friends, he just loves what he wanted as a young man and uses it !  Here it is with my Studebaker.... they got along just fine, ha !

Thanks to Joe in Canada too.... your friend must have been really upset about that !

DSCN7277.JPG

• Like 1

I have a set of manifolds that I had done in less then chrome silver about thirty years ago and they look just like the first day still.

RM Engineering (finish line coatings) Portland Oregon. www.finishlinecoatings.com

On 2/23/2018 at 1:58 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Porcelainizing for a '60s Corvette is not correct and will probably look very odd even on a car that isn't intended to be stock. I would recommend a ceramic coating such as offered by Jet-Hot. They can do something shiny, they can do something that looks like cast iron gray, and they might even have colors available now, I'm not positive. I usually do cast iron gray or satin black which looks clean but doesn't stand out. Porcelain is not very durable at all and will eventually crack no matter what he does. The ceramic coating will last forever.

Here's a '67 Corvette with exhaust manifolds that were ceramic coated in cast iron gray:

074.JPG.c2d10a52498eb4f2a9ea9572798930ff.JPG

Very good advice Matt as that coating isn't durable and isn't correct!   Your photo above is about "spot on", maybe just a tick more shine?

Oh, on another matter I lost another battery yesterday so have you ridden by the battery place in a few days as some have tried to convince me they reopened!  I won't be showing this summer if I have to use a "mega-tron" 

Robert