Spindle reinstalled opposite side from original

Summershandy

Okay, I just replaced my Kingpins and floating bushings in my 54 Pontiac Starchief. Everything went back together and had to add a shim to one side. I hammered down the end caps but hesitated doing the retainer pin. Didn't stake the end caps either. Took a look at an old picture of the spindles on the computer and noticed the grease zerks facing the front of the car. My zerks are now facing the back indicating to me I put the wrong spindles on the wrong sides! Left on right, right on left. Are the zerks SUPPOSE  to face a certain direction? Did someone ELSE put them on backwards or is this me....oh whoa is me LOL

Should I switch them back or does is really matter the way they work? I would have to destroy the end caps and get new ones. No problem removing the pins and bushings as they are floaters. 

It could affect your alignment.  That is why I always mark everything with punch or letter marks as I disassemble.  Today I guess digital cameras would work as well in many instances.

Yup, I marked my drums before they went in for machining and have the rest of my brake components separate left from right.....what good is that now? haha. I take pictures of things before disassembly to help when the time comes to put things back. If CPR can supply just caps from their repair kits, I should put things back where they belong. I replaced the tie rods so an alignment is required. Don't know about the camber/caster.  

You installed them without issues (or use of force) so they must be pretty similar between the two sides. 

Sometimes it maters, sometimes it doesn't. 

One way to check these things is to compare the manufactures part number. (do you have a parts book?) 

If the same part is used Right and Left, then it uses the same number and the orientation doesn't matter. 

If the R & L numbers are different then SOMETHING is different between them. 

You can also look in the shop manual  or lubrication charts for references to the grease fittings and see which side they are on. 

• Like 1

Are the "caps" special, most of them are "welch plugs" available anywhere. Many people talk about staking them in but I have always just dimpled them in the middle.  Never had one leak or fall out and have done thirty or more king pins.

8 hours ago, m-mman said:

One way to check these things is to compare the manufactures part number.

I'll give it a shot.

8 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Are the "caps" special, most of them are "welch plugs" available anywhere

My concern is it's part of a kit and may not be separate.

8 hours ago, jp928 said:

heck that going from lock to lock , nothing interferes with anything

Nothing interferes lock to lock and zerks still accessible.

Guess my concern is, here are pieces that have been mated for 60 some odd years. Now is not the time to mismatch.  

This all depends on the relationship of the steering arms relative to the kingpin axis. Some GM vehicles use the same spindles on both sides.  Others do not.  If the steering arms end up in the wrong place due to the swap, steering geometry will be completely screwed up.

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

This all depends on the relationship of the steering arms relative to the kingpin axis. Some GM vehicles use the same spindles on both sides.  Others do not.  If the steering arms end up in the wrong place due to the swap, steering geometry will be completely screwed up.

My thoughts as well.

CPR are sending out some "welch" plugs (thanks for the word of the day Tinindian) for me today! I can rip the old ones out and put those arms back where they belong. As alway, thanks for your comments and thoughts. I always learn or gain knowledge from these brainstorms. Y'all have a great weekend. Cheers!

Left and right part numbers may just be that the grease nipples are fitted on the opposite of them and nothing more. They would have to be for them both to point in the same direction on the car. The way the steering arms attach will affect if they are really interchangeable.

Is it easier to grease them from the front?

12 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

Left and right part numbers may just be that the grease nipples are fitted on the opposite of them and nothing more. They would have to be for them both to point in the same direction on the car. The way the steering arms attach will affect if they are really interchangeable.

Is it easier to grease them from the front?

GM always uses the same part on both sides if possible, since that is less expensive.  If the grease fittings are different, there's a reason - like maybe you can't access them if they are installed the other way around.

I finished punching out the welch caps and swapping the steering knuckles to their correct sides....and I'm quite happy. The side I had to add a shim to originally was really really tight. Now it's just snug and turns much easier. I couldn't get a shim in the other side and rightfully so. You need play of .005" or more to require a shim. I had also originally added the shim to the top but reading the manual, they call it a thrust bearing shim. So I placed it at the bottom with the bearing where it does not turn and wear out.  Now just waiting for the new caps to come in then finish off the new brake components. Hooray!

3 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

GM always uses the same part on both sides if possible, since that is less expensive.  If the grease fittings are different, there's a reason - like maybe you can't access them if they are installed the other way around.

You can be sure of that as GM's business aim was as was most manufacturers, to increase investors profits their decisions had nothing specific to do with making better products. It is interesting just looking up steering knuckles. Up to 1927 Oakland and Pontiac were different L & R.  From that point Chev and Pontiac were the same both sides.  Buick, and Chev and GMC trucks were L & R  at least up until 1947 according to my parts books.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)