30 cf emergency brake

Mars

On 23/02/2018 at 11:45 AM, Mars said:

Would love to have it work.

These are photos of my spare DC gearbox with hand brake ratchet. In the first one you can see the tang is disengaged - the release button is pressed down. I believe the DC and CF are the same.

Handbrake4.thumb.jpg.791beeded57e149fd35d3d864035e4f3.jpg Handbrake5.thumb.jpg.df5ad7d74e0e664dbf095795b116e7cd.jpg Handbrake2.thumb.jpg.ff5c9b879f5118f4c68ab4e68a293e1a.jpgHandbrake3.thumb.jpg.2d8ac56ddfe5994c32835d7f752b91c5.jpgHandbrake1.thumb.jpg.1c44120f0db95709601e47aeed273098.jpg

My earlier post contributed nothing so I have deleted it.

This should be an easy thing to make. 1/8" plate or perhaps a bit more. Make a sort of L shape, drill the two holes, turn over the short leg of the L then rivet to the hand brake lever with the rod through the second hole. The distance between the two holes is enough to make the push rod parallel to the lower part of the brake lever edge - see 5th photo. This is my freehand sketch, not to scale; it is pretty coarse but you get the idea.

Handbrake6.thumb.jpg.7dd88bcdddf7f032ce9e8d6d1972483b.jpg

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Mars Spineyhill is correct DC and CF are the same. 

I have one of each. 

Has he answered your question or are you still looking for answers, do you need parts?  If so give Dodge Vintage City a try, they had a DC in the wrecking yard a few years ago. If that fails let me know and I will reach out to my contacts. 

Also what CF8 do you have! We have a 1930 DeLuxe Sedan. 

Cheers 

Stewart 

20 hours ago, Mars said:

I think if I can keep the gizmo from sliding off to the side it might work 

Can you take another picture of yours from the front, on a similar angle to this one of mine:

Handbrake5.thumb.jpg.df5ad7d74e0e664dbf095795b116e7cd.jpg

I am wondering what this piece is on yours:

image.png.deb7d8876abcb32b0d7f1017164204ab.pngThe bent rod should go through the engaging piece as you can see above. Has the bent rod pin popped out?

On my sketch, the bit sticking out on the left in the lower dwg is bent over to 90o to make the tang that engages in the ratchet. The bent rod above the arrow just above goes through the hole to the right of it (below it in place).

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, Mars said:

Here is a pic of driver side of transmission 

It would be useful if you post a picture of the hand brake ratchet mechanism from the front so we can see the status of the locking tang and the bent rod it fits onto. Then maybe we can help. You need to help us help you.

It looks like the locking tang is broken between the lever and the actuating rod. The yellow arrow is perhaps pointing to the broken end and this piece is hanging upside down. The red arrow is perhaps pointing to the other broken end, hanging down, having rotated on its pin (green arrow). The shadow makes it a bit tricky...

CF-transmission_sml.jpg.343b89f243ef5380bc29c3b3dc2a408f.jpg If the locking tang (yellow arrow) is upside down, the locking tang itself will be below the bent rod as it is shown in the photo. It won't work this way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

E brake project  30 cf. getting back to it. I think I've figured out what I need to make,  The tang piece is riveted to the brake handle I believe. So I think I need to remove the handle to remove the broken piece and install a new one. I've taken the cotter pins out of the rod that connects it to the band assembly.so it's free that way, pivoting on the large pin up higher. How is the handle attached at that pivot point? Does any of this make sense? I hope so. Thanks

At last, the infamous e brake tang thingy. Removed both prices and glued them together to see just what I need to make . Shouldn't be too tough. Reattaching a small challenge . Can't wait for it to work!

Have you looked at it from above?

It is pretty clear you need to remove the floor board then clean up around the brake handle and gearbox top to spotless condition. Then you can remove the top of the gearbox and remove the pin holding the handbrake handle. If you look at the mounting in the gearbox you will see a depression: I bet that is a locking pin. How to remove it will become clear when you have the top off the gearbox.

HandbrakeAtGearbox_sml.thumb.jpg.2821e01aefde4c4de2bdef4ab40dbbc9.jpg