Carburetor Identification and Value

Mark Gregory

I bought this carburetor about 40 years ago off a 1920's Reo motor . I had it rebuilt for $100 in 1984 by a Mr Evans in Akron , Ohio . It has sat ever since sealed in a bag in a box . I would like to sell it and someone has shown interested in buying it . Where the steel is I think it says RAYFIELD  there is other numbers as shown in different places . Thanks

LL 3P

314 - 1

B

Who is the manufacturer and what would be a fair price for it ? Thanks

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Photos of the carburetor in question....

carb.jpeg

carb2.jpeg

carb3.jpeg

carb4.jpeg

carb5.jpeg

carb6.jpeg

Mark,

I firmly believe that the "314-1" means a grade of 314 bronze and the "-1" is the casting impression number on the foundry pattern (impression numbers are important in order to trace back a defect.  Tells the pattern shop which impression needs re-gating or other steps to correct the problem.)

Regards,

Peter.

Rayfield is the manufacturer.  If you do a search on this site you should find more info.  Not the best carb and not the worst out there from what I have read.  One comment was it makes a great base for a really cool lamp.

Terry

When I found that there was a Rayfield Carb on one of our Buicks, instead of a Carter or a Stromberg, I did some research and was advised that Rayfield was sold as a less expensive aftermarket replacement by such enterprises as Sears, Pep Boys, etc - typically if you could not afford a rebuild kit and labor, you bought a Rayfield.

Actually, our Buick seemed to run pretty well on the Rayfield for the past 8 or 9 years, but we have sourced a correct carburetor, and look forward to even better performance and economy - Even if the terms "Economy" and Buick Roadmaster may not exactly go together?