TIRE OPINIONS

jframe

Been doing first one little thing to another to my 65, trying to make a nice car even better. One thing I did was to replace the 32 year old spare tire with a new, American Classic whitewall in 215/75-15. I am wondering whether I should use this size for my other four on the car, or go to the 225/75-15. I put the 215 for the spare mainly because I have read here that a 225 size is damned hard to get on the shelf under the package tray; apparently, it's a tight fit. I will most likely never use the spare; my Vette doesn't have one at all. I have towing insurance if worst comes to worst. I think the 225 tire would fit the Riv better, but I am really hunting opinions. Should I go to the 225 or stay with a 215/75-15?

The 225 is the exact same diameter as the original 845-15 tires it came with when new. That's what I have on my car and they fit great and look right. You are right about the spare......my 225-75-15 spare will only fit on the shelf when deflated, so I carry an air pump with me when I go out of town in the car.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well, I was also wondering IF I had to use the 215 spare with the 225 tires actually on the car, if it would make a huge difference in driving if ONLY for short distance until I could get the 225 tire fixed or replaced?

2 hours ago, jframe said:

Well, I was also wondering IF I had to use the 215 spare with the 225 tires actually on the car, if it would make a huge difference in driving if ONLY for short distance until I could get the 225 tire fixed or replaced?

Do you have a positraction differential?

Tom

When I was a kid in the tire shop we would get a pair of tires and one would be a little taller that the other. I would tell the customer to put the taller one on the passenger side of the car to compensate for the crown in the road. They would agree the road had to drain.

So if you spare is a little shorter you are OK if the driver side tire goes flat. If a passenger side tire goes flat, first take the driver side tire off and replace the flat one. You can then put the spare on the driver side and compensate for the crown in the road. Simple! If you do that could you, please, video the roadside change?

When I first read this topic, I immediately thought of those TV guys modifying the trunk floor to make the tire fit.

Bernie

• Haha 2