Hard starting after sitting a few days

Buick35

My 35 Buick takes awhile to start after sitting awhile unless I pump the gas repeatedly six or seven times while operating the starter or if I squirt gas down the carbuerater.I tried a six volt electric fuel pump but didn't seem to help much,I probably Had it too far from the tank.I wonder if a squeeze type bulb that some boat motors use would help. Any ideas? Thanks,Greg.

I am not a fan for electric fuel pumps, but they are useful as a helper pump to fill the fuel line & carb. for cold starting or help stop vapor lock. 

You mentioned that yours might be too far from the fuel tank, so I think you already know how to fix this issue. 

I suggest you also, check your fuel filter.

Greg,

Regarding your fuel pump location.  Electric fuel pumps push better than they pull so you want it to be mounted close to the tank.  You also want to have an inline filter mounted on the inlet side of the pump so no debris goes into the pump. 

So, does the electric pump work?  Usually you can hear it run ( humming for a few seconds) when it is powered up.  You didn't mention if it is powered by a separate switch or when the key is turned on.

If you think you're lacking fuel at startup as a cause of the hard start; before trying to start the car, take a look down the throat of the carburetor while you move the throttle from closed to open.  You should see a squirt of gas go into the venturi from the accelerator pump.  If no fuel is seen chances are your carburetor is leaking from a bad needle and seat or some other reason.

Let us know how you make out.

Wes in VT

A tip on the boat squeeze bulb.

It would work to fill an empty carburetor, works best if near the tank as most pumps do..

The biggest tip, it needs to be pointed up a bit as there is a check ball in there that relies on gravity. Straight up would be best.

Make sure you get one that has the correct size nipples, 5/16 and 3/8 are the most common, but there are 1/4 as well.

AC made quite a few pumps with hand primers that worked the fuel pump diaphragm. Someone in the past fitted one to the pump on my 31 Buick, but I don't need it unless it sits for more than a month. I would try that before a rubber outboard fuel line pump.  How does your car start when you use it then let it cool on the same day?

Dave

Perhaps you have a problem with your accelerator pump diaphragm or check ball.  If the check ball gets stuck then a good portion of the gas squeezed out of the diaphragm goes right back to the float bowl rather than out the discharge nozzle.  If you shut off the engine with a full float bowl it should last at least a week or two before evaporating, especially this time of year.  I would suspect you should have enough fuel in the bowl after a few days of sitting unless it is leaking out, possibly down the intake. I’m presuming a 35 Buick isn’t updraft but I’m not sure.

Edited by Modeleh (see edit history)

Thanks for all the information. Its a downdraft carb. After running and starting up the same day it starts really well. The fuel pumps on a switch. I removed it for now but I might try to relocate it nearer to the tank. Also I forgot to mention that it turned over very slowly after a run but if I let it sit until its cold, it would turn over fine. I think I solved that with a better ground strap. Greg.

my bad, i didn't look at the year of the car. but i do know that on rochester carbs, there are a couple of plugs in the bottom of the fuel bowl that can let it drain over time, and 20 fuel pumps won't overcome that. remove carb, fill bowl, and see if it leaks out. often a couple taps with a brass drift will seal them up.