Redhead Cylinder Head

richasco

At long last I am begining my engine compartment refresh. The exciting part of this will be putting on the correct Red-Head cylinder head. I wanted to remove the rust from the outside and inside as gently as possible. The head has a crack repair from who knows when and I do not want to damage this hard to find head. I decided to start with a vinegar bath and here is a picture after a 24hr soak. I did use a long bristle brass brush to see if it was working. So far it is working well on the outside, however the inside is not progressing as well as I'd like. There were some small rust flakes and other deposites in it when I started, the vinegar hasn't done much to remove them yet. So I am starting another soak with fresh vinegar. The question is this, if further cleaning is required will an engine shop be able to clean the head with a low risk of damage?

20180216_160223.jpg

Vinegar is a mild acid and it will remove metal everywhere, not just rust. If you want rust off, such as inside the head, you might try a chelating agent for iron oxide. These include citric acid, molasses (1 part to 9 parts water) and commercial products like Evapo-rust. Molasses will do it but it might take a couple of weeks and you will probably have to remove and replace it in the molasses a couple of times. Afterwards it will need a damn good clean to get the molasses and remnants of rust off it. I have read citric acid is good inside an engine but haven't tried it.

If you are trying to clean the inside,  I would go with the evaporust as well.  I imagine you will need a couple of gallons to do it.  It will degrease as well. You might need to tip and jiggle it around to make sure you get the air out of the pockets inside the head.   Make sure it is fully submerged as well. 

After a 36hr soak, the outside looks perfect. However, I think the inside needs a professional hot tank and a magnaflux? I want to make sure that there are no other cracks and the cooling passages are clean. I got 3 cups of mud and rust flakes out of the inside. It is much better and maybe even usable now. I just can't take the chance of there being anything left that could come out and plug the radiator once it is on the car. Anyone have recommendations for a trustworthy shop within a decent driving time of the south central Pennsylvania area?