4Cyl Inline Air Cooled Engine in Bendix 1908-09 "Roadster"??

Bud Tierney

Somehow the 1908-09 Bendix got onto my Continental MMCo engine list; googling around for a verification just confused things...

I found one site that appeared to describe three Bendix models with 2Cyl opposed engines, mentioning, almost as an afterthought,  another model with a 4Cyl water cooled engine...

Then, on EBay, is a Bendix brochure (which at one time had come thru Autolit) several pages of which are on the Ebay listing, one showing a 4Cyl inline AIR Cooled engine...

Does anyone here have a book that mentions the Bendix and/or whether that 4Cyl was water or air cooled, and mentions the engine builder??

Cont;l Engine Co, Chicago and Dallas City IL, advertised 4 inlines, either water or air cooled; it might be theirs...

Any comments appreciated...

1 hour ago, Bud Tierney said:

Somehow the 1908-09 Bendix got onto my Continental MMCo engine list; googling around for a verification just confused things...

I found one site that appeared to describe three Bendix models with 2Cyl opposed engines, mentioning, almost as an afterthought,  another model with a 4Cyl water cooled engine...

Then, on EBay, is a Bendix brochure (which at one time had come thru Autolit) several pages of which are on the Ebay listing, one showing a 4Cyl inline AIR Cooled engine...

Does anyone here have a book that mentions the Bendix and/or whether that 4Cyl was water or air cooled, and mentions the engine builder??

Cont;l Engine Co, Chicago and Dallas City IL, advertised 4 inlines, either water or air cooled; it might be theirs...

Any comments appreciated...

If there isn't a actual motor, what difference does it make? There are tens of thousands mystery's about old cars and motors from 100 years ago.  Lets see a picture of the motor.

Sorry, never learned to link...the engine illus is on EBay #351583344467; it's an AutoLit sale, reduced from their own website..

It's just my own idle curiosity; piqued when I saw a 20s or so Cont'l   MMCo Muskegon ad saying their engines were in 120 makes...

Just for fun, started a Cont'l list some time back, limited to pre-war cars, trucks and a few commercil vehicles (cabs, hearses, etc.)..

.With my limited resources and time, I'm up to around 400 or so, with twenty or so still unsourced (realized after a bit the names were useless unless sourced somewhere)...subject, of course, to catalog errors, misprints etc, AND the 1895?1905? or so to 1913/14 or so life of  Pfeiffers Contl Eng Co, the "imitation" Cont'l...