Got me a ragtop

Blue90

1 hour ago, NCReatta said:

Looks like you ended up with Charlie's car. Very nice ride! 

Yes, this was Charlie's car.  After about half a dozen phone conversations and numerous photos I decided to 'just do it'.  I flew down to Burbank last Tuesday and Charlie picked me up at the airport.  I drove the car for a while and we made the deal.  I took four nights and five days to make the 1,130 mile trip north, visiting with friends along the way.  Car handled beautifully.  No shake or shimmy.  And it was sunny and warm all the way home.

Thanks all for the kudos.

54 minutes ago, Retired w/Reatta said:

Yes, this was Charlie's car.  After about half a dozen phone conversations and numerous photos I decided to 'just do it'.  I flew down to Burbank last Tuesday and Charlie picked me up at the airport.  I drove the car for a while and we made the deal.  I took four nights and five days to make the 1,130 mile trip north, visiting with friends along the way.  Car handled beautifully.  No shake or shimmy.  And it was sunny and warm all the way home.

Thanks all for the kudos.

I know that car!  Forget what the odometer says - it's practically new inside and out (as you already know). Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Bushwack said:

I know that car!  Forget what the odometer says - it's practically new inside and out (as you already know). Enjoy!

Yeah, Charlie said he knew you; only had nice things to say.  For the mileage it is in great condition.  Charlie had the car for five years and only put on about 5,000 miles.  He also replaced a lot of stuff;  starter, SS brake lines, discs and rotors, fuel pump, fuel tank cleaned, harmonic balancer, tires, plugs and wires, battery, headlight motor, headlight repair kit, 180 thermostat, coil pack, ignition module, filters and regular maintenance, etc.  Before Charlie it was bought new by a woman schoolteacher in Walnut Creek, CA.  She used it as her commuter car to San Francisco (probably over the Bay Bridge) for twenty years.  Passenger seat feels and looks as if it's hardly been sat in.  I think I got me a good one.

But I'll tell ya, and I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but maintenance is everything.  I have two 1990 Reattas; both bought used. The blue coupe has over 233,000 miles and my new claret red vert has over 184,000 miles.  Original engines and trannies.  I just drove over 1,000 miles from southern California and I can keep up with any car on the road.  I had great time.  I love these cars!:)

• Like 1

I agree with you on buying well maintained and looking for 1 [or 2 if in great shape] owner cars. Best way to go. Don't be afraid to spend a bit more because the better one is actually the cheaper car in the long run.

I am impressed that your cars have so many miles on the original tranny, I don't beat my cars and never got that kind of service. With the work that was done I would say that you did great. Good for you. 

13 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

I am impressed that your cars have so many miles on the original tranny, I don't beat my cars and never got that kind of service.

I'm in the same boat.  My Reatta had a rebuilt tranny when I bought it with about 97K miles on it.  I had to have the Riviera's tranny rebuilt at about 159K miles (lost it in eastern CO on my way from MA to an ROA national in 2014).

Congratulations...I like the Claret Red color.