Bliss Surrey License& Title

Rod L

Just bought this 1958 Bliss Surrey and want to get it titled. Near as I know, it has never been titled. I am trying the Vermont titling approach that I have heard works for most untitled regular cars. Has anyone tried this or better yet, if you've managed to get a Bliss titled, how did you do it?

Thanks for any response

Rod

IMG_3503.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd update this thread in case anyone is interested and is possibly needing to get a title as well.

I just today received a temporary registration certificate and a brand new Vermont liscense plate. In about 10 days I'm supposed to get the permanent registration papers. Then I go to my local (Oregon) DMV with these papers and they are supposed to issue me a new title and registration for Oregon.

So far the cost has totaled $ 428.00, $23.00 Vermont registration and $405.00 Vermont sales tax. I expect another $175.00 as Oregon charges this to register an out of state vehicle, so for $603.00 I will now have a fully street legal 1903 Oldsmobile CDO Replica.

Whopee

Rod

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Thought I'd follow up on this thread. It's been awhile, but today I finally got around to going to the Oregon DMV with my Vermont registration. It was way easier than I anticipated, there was no hassle at all. The paperwork was accepted and they gave me a  temporary permit to drive the car. The official registration and Oregon plates ans a brand new Oregon Title will be issued within the next 60 days.

The reason for my delay in going to the DMV was that I had decided to do a complete restoration on the car, rebuilt engine, transmission, clutch and new base/clear coat paint, see below.

Rod

z.jpg

Your refurbishment looks great.  The only thing I would question is driving it on the street.  Will someone insure you as you operate it?  I don’t think I’d ever have the confidence to drive it in traffic given how everyone is in a hurry these days and have no love for slow moving vehicles. We have Amish driving a horse and buggy on our roads who then often make the news when some impatient driver crashes into them.  The buggy, horse and operator usually don’t fare well in these encounters.

Good luck!

Thanks Terry,

Hagerty has insured it and you are correct in it being a bit scary on the street. However, this morning I drove it ~15 miles 5 of which were on a 4 lane but the speed limit on that stretch was 30 mph so I wasn't holding up traffic too much. There is probably more of an issue with the gawkers ? than the road ragers?.

Generally, I will be driving it locally in residential area with some parades thrown in. The registering - titling was more for legality and resale than anything else.

Rod