Source for Threaded Insert?

Does anyone know of a trade name and/or source for the pictured captive nut insert?

It's used on older Volvos to secure the transmission shift linkage bracket to the unibody frame rail.  It differs from most threaded inserts in that the insert hole is sort of a double keyhole slot style.  Volvo's part number for the insert is 941140, but I've verified through Volvo that the part has been discontinued with no replacement or substitution.  The last picture gives the hole dimensions and show the individual components of the insert, the threaded nut portion floats in the sheet metal cage.

The frame rail doesn't have any easy service access, other than a small drain hole at the bottom of the rail, so a blind insert is the only way to go on this.  The frame rail metal thickness is about 0.080", with plenty of depth, at least 0.75". The thread on the insert is 1/4-20.

DSCN0186.JPG

DSCN0187.JPG

DSCN0193.JPG

11 hours ago, Friartuck said:

Suggest rephrasing your search. This is not a threaded insert. Try "Captive Nut" , "Cage Nut" or "Speed Nut" . Restoration Specialties in Windber, PA Offers many Cage and Speed Nuts. Restoration Specialties & Supply, Widber, PA

Agree. "threaded insert" generally refers to a "helicoil" or a "timesert"  Two different items that usually obtain the same objective.

Helicoil:   http://www.stanleyengineeredfastening.com/brands/heli-coil

Timecert:  http://www.timesert.com/

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Or possibly "Well Nut" as that's what the roof rack and mirror threaded mounting are called.

And "Rivnut" is a brand also. No, not a person with many Buick Rivieras!:D

Thanks to all who've responded, knowing the correct name(s) for a part is half the battle.  It's hard to find a part when you're referring to it by the wrong name.  I'll post a followup after I do a search and hopefully find the part.

• 3 weeks later...

I wound up using a Rivet Nut from Jay-Cee Sales & Rivet Co, their website is at: https://www.rivetsonline.com. Very helpful people, they sell an inexpensive ($15) tool for installation, too.

Pictures of a side view of an installed nut, the installation tool, one nut installed on the car, plus the completed job are shown below.  Thanks!

DSCN0288.JPG

DSCN0285.JPG

DSCN0286.JPG

Glad to help and see it came out with a happy ending! :)

We use a lot of those Rivnuts at work building R&D stuff. Like sides of Conex boxes so no need for a person to be inside to mount stuff on the outside.;)

And thanks for  a new source of them.