R-P

Studebaker Identification

Two things struck me about this thread. First of all, until perusing this discussion, I did not appreciate the artistic value of modified / customized automobiles. Well except those modified for special purposes like movies or to fulfill a utilitarian need. The other is how well the persons on this forum write. This may or may not imply something about the membership of this particular forum but I would rather think that it does. "Any ol' who", I think the Internet needs more civil, though sometimes not too civil, discourse like this. I also think there should be room for those whose tastes run to customization as well as those whom prefer to keep everything as originally produced. 

Thank you for the reference photo's Bill, they reinforce what I have learned from the owner of a 54R roadster.  A very unique characteristic of this particular car is the lack of the external door hinge, and the location of the interior door handle.  As you can see in the sedan and coup pictures, the door handle is mid door or so.  Then compare that to the 54R that sold and the door of my car.

The interior door handle is directly opposite the exterior door handle.  My door handle is missing, as the original builders decided to put electric operated solenoids for openers.  However, you can clearly see where the original door handle went (end of linkage, you can see the square insert for the interior door handle).  This interior door handle was only done on the roadster, no other models.

Plus talking to an owner of a 54R was very helpful.  Thanks for all the input, happy motoring.

RP

Stude door frame 1.jpg

54R sold two pics.docx

54R sold two pics_Page_1.jpg

Sedan door handle location.jpeg

I would also like to praise Barbara Fox (HistorianVMCCA) for exemplary work in helping me to run down some important contacts.

She also dug up a factoid that might explain the rarity of this car.

" It appears 23,917 1931 Cars were made including all #54 models.  Of those about 5.45% were roadsters, so about 1300." 

1,300 produced is a low number, even by Ferrari Standards.  Add that almost 100 years have gone by, and well, not many survivors.

RP