Sign in to follow this  
ckowner

Radiator rock screen

I am looking to build a rock screen for my 1930 DeSoto CK radiator. Can anyone help me source the (3/8" x 3/8" ?) stainless steel crimped mesh used for this application?

Thank you

Do you have a photo of the screen that you need?  There is a surplus metals company here in Central Florida that has had "diamond mesh" stainless steel screen in the past. 

Where are you located?

Cheers,

Grog

Go where you go for all things ................McMaster-Carr

"Stainless Steel Wire Cloth"...................Bob

I would also used McMaster Carr. I have been using them for 50 years and they are great. For a reference, I would look at McMaster PN 9656T17 or 9241T45 both are Stainless. McMC, has several varieties listed under "Stainless Steel Mesh".

Restorer, isn't the catalog great! Sometimes when I am looking for something I find something else that would be a better fit. Just paging thru it is fun.

Gotta love the catalog. Great if you are trying to engineer something . They even have such things as Alemite grease fittings  and many things of use to us car guys. 

Thank you for the info. What would be the proper screen to buy and the wire gauge. I would prefer the square running diagonally. Also being in Canada, I am not sure whether I can get this shipped from McMaster-Carr

What is the gauge of the original and are you looking to replicate an original? I would lean to a heavier gauge to prevent wind from causing it to pulsate back and forth against the radiator. McMaster usually ships the same day, if I order something, I get it the next day. I don't think shipping to Canada is an issue.

Also, as to the McMaster-Carr Catalog. I always had junior engineers coming to my office to borrow my copy. I eventually kept it locked in a file cabinet. Every time I received a new catalog I had several people asking for the old one. There is so much info, that engineers love them when they are designing something. Have you ever looked at E-Bay to see what some people get for a copy. I buy everything from them. What I pay for a box of Stainless Screws, I get six or eight from a hardware store.

1 hour ago, ckowner said:

Thank you for the info. What would be the proper screen to buy and the wire gauge. I would prefer the square running diagonally. Also being in Canada, I am not sure whether I can get this shipped from McMaster-Carr

@ckowner, i live in South West British Columbia. I order from mcmaster carr all the time. we usually recieve our orders 23 hours after placing them. it is crazy fast and efficient. it has become not even worth while to drive to town to pick up basic shop supplies.

If we order by 5:00 in the afternoon we  almost always have our goods in hand by 11:00 the next morning. McMaster has a UPS substation in their warehouse.

I have seen two screens and they had a lot of differences in construction. I measured the wire on center and the mesh was 1/2" on one and 5/8" on the other. The mounting points are generally in the same spots but are of different styles. And then there is the chrome surround, one narrow and thin the other wider and thicker. I can get more measurements if you would like. 

20180213_162311.jpg

20180213_162323.jpg

Edited by richasco (see edit history)

s-l1600.jpg

Crimped stainless wire mesh, .063 inch wire, spacing or opening is ??? unspecified

18 by 36 inches $80 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Crimped-304-Mesh-2-063-Cloth-Screen-18-x36/112812702677?

36 by 36 inches $155 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Crimped-304-Mesh-2-063-Cloth-Screen-36-x36/122965720574?

This Listing Is For A Cut Piece of 304 Stainless Steel #2 .063 crimped Wire Cloth
Woven Wire

The picture shows a close up of the wire to show the opening

I can cut it any size