Selling Classic Cars on E Bay ?

bobg1951chevy

Any car I personally have sold,  was done in person. 

But now, with the Internet, our choices have become so vast.

Any inquiries I have had, regarding my '51, have been from long distance potential buyers.

I have received VALUABLE INFORMATION from all the AACA members here, regarding auto inspections and payment transactions.

For that assistance and input, I say "thank you".

I have not listed anything "for sale" on E Bay, but have made numerous purchases from E Bay.

Now, has anyone listed their car for sale on E Bay ?

If so, how did the E Bay experience of selling your car work for you ?

Thanks !

Edited by bobg1951chevy (see edit history)

I sold a '71 Pontiac on Ebay, the entire transaction was fine, I put a price on the car, had a close offer, took it.  Took a $500 deposit via Ebay Paypal, then had the balance from the buyer wired to my bank.  All painless, other than dealing with the transport company that came to pick it up.  Not a name carrier, but one of those other companies that use drivers not versed in the English language, so it wasn't as much fun getting it loaded as it was selling it.

There are three ways to sell a car on Ebay.

No reserve, start the auction at a low price.  Usually the car will find it's price level, but the hazard is there that few will bid and it will go cheap.

Reserve, start the auction at a low price and put a reserve on it.  If bidding gets close, you can always lower reserve as you see fit.

Buy it Now, list the price, and either have that as a firm price, or put the option to Make an Offer.  You'll get some lowball offers, but you can also set the auction to automatically refuse those.  If you get a fair offer, either sell or counteroffer.

Ebay will expose you to tens of thousands of potential buyers.

One piece of advice, put meaningful words in your listing title, that people can search and find it.  Words like "mint" and "rare" and "one of a kind" and such are NOT what people are searching.  Put in "1955 Ford Station Wagon Antique Classic automobile car vintage".  You'll list it in Motors, of course, so people can find it there, but someone searching "1955 Automobile" or "Antique Automobile" will happen upon your listing, too, if those words are there and they just might end up bidding.

Good luck!

• Like 3

For a favor to a friend, I sold a 1958 Chevrolet panel truck that went to Australia. It was a GREAT deal. The guy wired the money to my friend and then sent a hauler to pick it up to take it to Long Beach, California for it's overseas trip. EXCELLENT deal. I also sold a 1928 Ford pickup and a 1926 Chevrolet coupe all on Ebay and all of the deals worked out quite well. You just have to be careful on any deals you make with strangers.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I believe you have to have at least part of the payment go through Paypal.  It's a money maker for Ebay (can you imagine having tens of millions of dollars in "float", of other people's money, that you can draw interest on?).

That's why I suggested ask for a $500 down payment, yes, set up a Paypal account, what I did was open a separate checking account at my bank to tie it to, that way you can sleep at night.  If you don't mention Paypal in your Ebay listing they will sometimes cancel the listing, they're very strict.  Used to be you could message on Ebay and send a phone number or email, now if you do it they catch it and refuse to send the message.

• Like 1

I sold a car quite a while ago. A local came to look at it, said he really liked it and would bid. He bid low, outbid by someone who was in Las Vegas. He paid, then said he couldn't pick it up because the friend who said he'd give him a ride to get it changed his mind. Then I waited, he finally decided to send one of those discount haulers to get it.

As soon as the local guy found out he got outbid he came right over and said he'd match the winning bid. Told him, too bad it doesn't work that way you should have bid at least $500 more. I thought it sold for less than it was worth but I wanted to get it done.

Looks like you do not need to have PayPal. You do not need to accept a deposit. They recommend payment by cashiers check or cash in person. Or you can have a personal check and not release the vehicle until it clears.

Fee is now $125 if it sells, and it looks like there is no listing fee and no fee if it does not sell. It used to be $40 to list plus another $40 if it sold.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/motorfees.html#vehicle-price

Shipping and Payment
*Shipping The buyer is responsible for vehicle pickup or shipping.Change this
*Payment methods We recommend that vehicle sellers accept cashier's check or cash in person. 
*Full Payment Due 
Accept deposit through PayPal (optional)
*Item location 

• Like 1

I’ve sold several and it’s easier than the ones in person. Good info above.  Also, be sure to put as is, where is, etc. I will message you a copy of one so you can get some verbiage ideas. just change it up some as it’s not my verbiage, but someone who helped me. 

I like the deposit because it keeps people who might not be serious from jerking you around too long. Deposit in 24 hours or whatever and the balance in however many days. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I’ve sold several and it’s easier than the ones in person. Good info above.  Also, be sure to put as is, where is, etc. I will message you a copy of one so you can get some verbiage ideas. just change it up some as it’s not my verbiage, but someone who helped me. 

I like the deposit because it keeps people who might not be serious from jerking you around too long. Deposit in 24 hours or whatever and the balance in however many days. 

Thanks V.L.,  I will look for your message.  Thanks !

3 hours ago, kgreen said:

The fee for selling a car is $125?  I thought they took something close to 10 percent.

There are some insertion fees. If you have a reserve price (40), add bold headlines, large pictures, etc. depending on choices. Most fees besides reserve are a few bucks. 

The fee if you sell it is indeed $125. I have sold several. I don’t think total fees have ever been over $200 for options I chose. 

3998DEFE-B5D5-424D-8A7A-E1004EB383F7.png

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

I guess the deposit isn't necessary, nor using Paypal, I stand corrected.  I used it because at least it gives some legitimacy to the person bidding.  In reality, it's not really binding, as the would-be buyer can file a claim through Ebay and usually get their money back.

Fees are miniscule compared to the exposure. 

One thing to remember, be serious about selling your car before listing it on Ebay.  If you're silly about it, and put some extremely high reserve or asking price, the car will be remembered and branded as such.  Many, many times, a car has come up for sale and for discussion, and the comment will be a dismissive "oh, I saw that on Ebay a month ago, fellow's asking a crazy price for it" and you've lost your would-be customer.  If you own a car, you know about what the market is, and you know what you'll take for it, so be realistic.......I've walked away from many a car for sale because the owner either wouldn't set a price, or his price was so ludicrous that it would have been a futile gesture to even try to negotiate.....

• Like 3

Ive sold many cars on ebay and worked out well, esp to overseas buyers. BUT be prepared to have sold your car and never hear from the buyer again. Ebay doesnt hold buyers accountable and you can waste a good bit of time and a few dollars on listings.

I sold 3 cars 6 months ago and never had one picked up. I had to pay for listing regardless.

also, expect to get a "real" price for your car, not what you necessarily think it's worth.

11 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Looks like you do not need to have PayPal. You do not need to accept a deposit. They recommend payment by cashiers check or cash in person. Or you can have a personal check and not release the vehicle until it clears.

Who recommends payment with a Cashier's Check?  Sure as heck not me!!!  There have been many discussions, here and elsewhere about fraudulent Cashier's Checks - too easy to fake and by then your car is gone with not much recourse.  I'll stay with bank wire transfers, thank you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

One thing to remember, be serious about selling your car before listing it on Ebay.  If you're silly about it, and put some extremely high reserve or asking price, the car will be remembered and branded as such.  Many, many times, a car has come up for sale and for discussion, and the comment will be a dismissive "oh, I saw that on Ebay a month ago, fellow's asking a crazy price for it" and you've lost your would-be customer. 

You are very correct here Dave.   People don't fully understand the negative effect of the "frequent flyer" vs "fresh to the market".  This is especially true in the high end car auctions where you will see the same car come back every 2 or 3 years and it gets harder and harder to sell.

Also,  on how to get paid.  There really is no meaningful debate you can have.  It has to be a wire for anything semi-expensive,  and wire or cash for cheap stuff.

I am what vendors call a difficult customer. I have high expectations of myself and others. I read and fully expect that the words were intended to be taken literally

I have sold quite a few cars on Ebay and been happy with the sales made to adults.

Be careful about your wording. I listed a parts car as being "very rough". One buyer contacted me twice. Both contacts were offers less than my BIN price, no other questions. When he got the car he wrote "It is rougher than I thought." Remember that, you may want to write "very, very rough" if you sell a parts car.

A reserve is kind of lame. When I see an item with a reserve I skip it. If I took the time to search and find your item the last thing I want to do is find that the price is a secret. If I am selling, the vision of TWO characters competing in what Ebay calls "a bidding war" is laughable.

Bernie

Its been years since I tried to sell a car on Ebay, but When I was doing more of that I kept getting buyers that would bid up and win then come and take a look.

Then tell me that it wasn't what he is looking for.

They are not bidding the first right to refuse you know.

F-ing flakes.

I always sent negative feedback to those guys, of coarse got bad comments in return.  But be sure to include ASK THE QUESTIONs BEFORE YOU BID !!!!

I see many listings from guys that have had the same experience stating that potential buyers better get permission from his mommy, wife, pastor, bank, kids, etc. before bidding.

• Like 2

I woke up one morning to find I'd sold a car on eBay to someone in ITALY. Had the normal reaction thinking it was some scam deal, but it turned out to be the easiest car sale in my life. Money was wired to my bank, buyer took care of all the shipping details. He said the rollback would be there at noon time , and darned if the backup beeper wasn't ringing at 11:45 on the appointed day! I've had rougher times selling a car locally. Bob 

• Like 1

I sold my 60 Fuel injected Corvette on eBay.  It was bid quite high.  The buyer sent the deposit within 24 hours and then wired the money to my account within a few more hours after getting the routing numbers from me.  It all went smooth.  He never even sent an agent or even had me send him extra photos of the car as I always recommend serious buyers do.  Serious buyers are nice.  There are a few that aren't but you get those with any venue you sell on. 

I think the exposure on eBay is better.  I never look at bring a trailer.  I kind of forgot it existed,  but there are probably few people that don't know about eBay.  There are probably more people registered on eBay as well,  so you don't have to sign up to bid on something like bring a trailer created an account etc.  Most car guys or their wives have an eBay account already and a reputation. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CarFreak said:

Who recommends payment with a Cashier's Check?  Sure as heck not me!!! 

You have to handle the "cashier's check" as if it were a personal check. Either negotiate it at the very same institution that issued it, or wait until "it clears" and in that latter case make sure you know what your bank would say needs to happen before it is proven to have "cleared."

• Like 2

I didn't have any hits on there for my 36 Chrysler convertible.  No one bought it on eBay either,   though there was some interest.   Hemmings had the most response,  but again no sale on that.  Ironically,  I had it as my Avatar on eBay and someone contacted me to ask if I wanted to sell it almost a year after it had been on eBay.  It sold to that guy within a day once I gave him a price and he came back with a very reasonable offer,  which was actually higher than I had advertised it for toward the end of selling it when I finally decided to  wait a while to market it again.  

• Like 1

It is amazing the number of ebay buyers who forget to check with their Wives, Mothers, Bankers, Buddies in the car club they are in, Priests, Witch Doctors, Psychologists, Parole Officers, Etc... before they make a deal. But they are always very sorry they cannot complete the purchase.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, alsancle said:

Agreed on BAT.  Lost interest a long time ago.   Perfect if you like foreign cars with little engines though.

Love 40s and 50s American , but being a Brit I wonder what’s your opinion of a little  engine less than 3 litre , less 2 litre , plenty of foreign cars out there with even smaller engines that would knock the socks off many big Americans  I’m afraid .?

thats before you consider the style , love Alfa’s and most Italian , and have had a small bmw and a Peugeot 205  GT not much could keep up with it and both cornered better than any big American I’ve driven. 

so little foreign cars not all bad ?

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

55 minutes ago, Pilgrim65 said:

what’s your opinion of a little  engine less than 3 litre , less 2 litre

Liters are for soft drinks. Torque is Boomer American style. When you grow up comfortable with a 4 to 4 1/8" bore it is pretty hard to get a stroke to make those little displacement number.

Every time I stop behind a car with an emblem on 2.8, 3.8,  4 or thereabouts I wonder if they are looking for empathy or warning me. I am for taking my living room where I drive. The whimpy buzzy stuff is for a whole different species of driver.

I have been looking for a less utilitarian replacement for my Silverado. Friday I tried out a 2017 Cadillac XTS 3.8. I read a lot and they are the DeVille "big commercial service" car. Walked away and didn't look back. Why play with a Piper Cub when you can fly a 747?

One look at the Cadillac and it is over. FIVE times, I have stopped in a town just north of me and looked at this:

2779632359.jpg.eb547572fc42b794450408fd470c12bf.jpg2779632361.jpg.b9f40dabf81e44af62757a02a271b364.jpg

6 liter V12, 4800 pounds. And a longitudinal engine with rear wheels pushing. Kind of like my truck!

I can do a lot of maintenance myself on the high predicted upkeep. And justify that second lift I want in oil charge expenses alone. ;)

Five visits, anyone who knows about Navy anchor pools would be buying chances on which trip it comes home with me. I like them furin cars, but I lean to the teutonic ones, maybe even teu and a half tonic.

Big, I want the living room.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Love 40s and 50s American , but being a Brit I wonder what’s your opinion of a little  engine less than 3 litre , less 2 litre , plenty of foreign cars out there with even smaller engines that would knock the socks off many big Americans  I’m afraid .?

Europe has always been different because of the smaller tighter spaces,  so the nimble smaller cars make sense.  I can appreciate some of them for their engineering and refinement,  but ultimately for me bigger is better.   We have owned a XK140 for decades,  and the one thing that always struck me was that it was a awfully big engine for a not very big car.

Not to stereotype,  but you can figure out at a party which guy is in to the 426 HEMI and which guy likes the 4 cylinder Alfa without asking.

I tell my Wife that I don't stereotype. I make generalizations. Picking out the owners of various brands has become very easy over the years.

One thing I have found odd. No matter what I drive, if I am sitting in some little diner, people make a bee line to me and ask about my car out front. Maybe I don't look like I belong in a diner.

Bernie

Oh, and once I heard the Brits don't believe life should be too easy. They heat their house with a little scuttle of coal lumps and wear sweaters, drink warm beer stored in Lucas refrigerators, and include a tool kit with new cars. Wealthy Brits own two cars so they are always sure one runs, generally.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

I tell my Wife that I don't stereotype. I make generalizations. Picking out the owners of various brands has become very easy over the years.

One thing I have found odd. No matter what I drive, if I am sitting in some little diner, people make a bee line to me and ask about my car out front. Maybe I don't look like I belong in a diner.

Bernie

Oh, and once I heard the Brits don't believe life should be too easy. They heat their house with a little scuttle of coal lumps and wear sweaters, drink warm beer stored in Lucas refrigerators, and include a tool kit with new cars. Wealthy Brits own two cars so they are always sure one runs, generally.

Hi Bernie , posted for a bit of controversy,  I also like big engined cars , had a xjs  V12 , Bmw 735 se , mind you agree with alsancle , best was a grunt car a cobra replica with Chevy 427 . 

Litres was part of the metrification, and other rubbish brought in by our mistake of joining EU . thats all I’ll say no politics , at least we’re trying to get out.

Amuses me the stereotype you describe of brits ,  things have changed a bit since that description , 

we drink more cold beer than we should ,stored in double fronted American style fridges  much more than trendy warm bitter , drive foreign cars , my Nissan has no tool kit ? mind you my bmw 735 did , think that’s   a throw back to the luxury days of motoring , rolls Bentley etc. Wealthy Brits have two cars at each of their  homes  town and country !, but keep the 4x4 Range Rover for picking up their school kids from private school in Chelsea .?

we heat our homes with natural gas , underfloor electric and my favourite a wood burner., the councils over here are all green now and don’t let us burn coal in cities . I remember it was my job as a boy to keep coal scuttle full also had a coal grate in my bedroom was great to dress by on a freezing morning.

i think brits pick up more American traits with every generation, we visit coffee shops most days , eat out , or buy take away most days and half the population live on Mac Donald’s food !, ?

living style probably depends much on where you live town or country and much the same in US I would think 

cheers 

pilgrim

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2