Summershandy

Kingpin retainer pin

So I thought I'd start to tackle my '54 kingpin replacement and I can't even get past the retainer pin removal. First I think I flattened the pin making it a mushroom so I ground it down flush. I've been banging on it non stop. I'm sure I'm hitting the right end, from the front to the back. Any backyard tips or should I just continue killing it with a mallet and drift pin? Thanks.

IMG_6815.JPG

IMG_6817.JPG

Now that I've taken a closer look at a pin, I'm thinking I'm hitting the wrong end! The side I was hitting looked a little more round in diameter and didn't have a flat side to it. Wish the manual would be more specific than "remove retainer pin". 

Well, I've just spend an hour flattening out the other side. Ground the mushroom head off it and now both sides look the same. Pounded for a while with the drift pin and no go. I've removed some hard things in my day but a pin? What am I looking at now, drilling out a 1/4" pin?

Mr "I can't wait" here....I broke down and drilled. I was surprised how soft the pin was. It was actually no problem drilling. Got pretty close to center but missed a bit. Popped right out after that because I had drilled so close to one side it was almost gone. Didn't mess up the hole too bad. I'll just use some locktite and use a sealant on the outside to keep out any moisture. My bonehead mistake....I must have hammered it tighter doing it in the wrong direction. The kingpin tapped right out along with the bushings. Noted the hole in the bushing did not line up with the grease fitting. I think I remember seeing the top bushing moving around with the spindle and they weren't really pressed in. One down, one to go!

IMG_6820.JPG

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:49 AM, Summershandy said:

Wish the manual would be more specific than "remove retainer pin". 

I sympathize and have been there.  Apparently in the 1950s & 60s Pontiac service manuals assumed the dealer mechanic had experience with previous Pontiacs (since lots of systems were similar for long runs I guess) and they can leave a guy frustrated with sparse details like that.  As a backup I have bought a few Motors manuals written for general service station mechanics that can sometimes supplement the directions a little, Todd C  

Thanks Todd. I still should have been more careful. My mistake so my fix. One of the things that get me through times like this, are the other wrenchers that say they've made their share of mistakes, learn by them, 4 steps forward and 2 steps back and been there done that. What confused me a little was I read on Buicks the pins were opposite. But I suppose they could go in any direction and if one of the PO's had change out the kingpins they could have replaced them incorrectly. Live and learn I guess!

You never know what a previous wrencher has done.. One king pin on my `36 Buick wouldn`t take grease, the pin had been put in upside down and the grease groove didn`t line up with the zerk..

I don't think mine was getting good grease either. The bushing was turning independent along with the kingpin so it didn't line up either for a good greasing. My other retainer pin came out with 2 blows of the mallet. Went in hard and fast. The kingpin also slid right out. Looks like my first kingpin removal I have been blessed. I've heard so many horror stories. Dang I had to bitch the first pin. Would have been a perfect job. Perfectionism...a curse I must live with!

18 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

grease groove didn`t line up with the zerk..

Thanks for the word of the day. Never heard it called that. 

1 hour ago, Summershandy said:

I don't think mine was getting good grease either. The bushing was turning independent along with the kingpin so it didn't line up either for a good greasing. My other retainer pin came out with 2 blows of the mallet. Went in hard and fast. The kingpin also slid right out. Looks like my first kingpin removal I have been blessed. I've heard so many horror stories. Dang I had to bitch the first pin. Would have been a perfect job. Perfectionism...a curse I must live with!

Thanks for the word of the day. Never heard it called that. 

I don`t know for sure if zerk is a word, but I`m 70yr old and have heard that term all my life..

Two manufacturers of lubrication fittings were "alemite" and "zerk".  Originally they were different types but eventually both types were made by both companies and have been that way for years.  For right or wrong I was taught that the twist on fittings with the two pins were zerk and the push on or in fittings were alemite originally.

7 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

For right or wrong I was taught that the twist on fittings with the two pins were zerk and the push on or in fittings were alemite originally.

Just the opposite, I believe.  But I believe Alemite (the two-pin company) acquired Zerk (the button/push-on company) later in the 1920s.

3 hours ago, Grimy said:

Just the opposite, I believe.  But I believe Alemite (the two-pin company) acquired Zerk (the button/push-on company) later in the 1920s.

I went out for a walk after posting #13.  While walking I thought/wondered if I had that backwards.  Not only is Grimy right, he is faster than I am.  Sorry guys.

• Thanks 1