It's an antique, it rolls on pavement and it's steam powered

Ronnie

I've driven by this barbecue place a dozen times and never noticed the steam roller sitting beside it until today.  I always focused my attention on the railroad caboose sitting next to it.  It is an amazing machine with all the valves and levers that were used to control it.  From what I could tell the large hand-wheel was used to steer it.

Very cool. It's not a tractor, nor a car but needs a home.....so I'm good with adopting a steam roller. This is what it looks like in action.  Kind of reminds me of the Wonka Mobile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stude Light said:

Very cool. It's not a tractor, nor a car but needs a home.....so I'm good with adopting a steam roller. This is what it looks like in action.  Kind of reminds me of the Wonka Mobile.

That's cool. Thanks for posting the video.

Seen this one at the Milton Steam show a couple of years ago. Just click on the link to see a video in action  of the one in the picture. Looks very similar. Do not know how else to load it.

This is a have to see event if you are up this way and interested in steam and old machinery.

2013-08-30 steam show 054.AVI

2013-08-30 steam show 055.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

11 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

The O.S.H.A. inspectors would have a field day with that baby!

Up north here you have to have a licence to operate a steam powered machine excluding cars. They have to be government inspected plus insurance to take it to a show. Many of the owners have dropped out because of all the regulations and insurance issues.  

13 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

Up north here you have to have a licence to operate a steam powered machine excluding cars. They have to be government inspected plus insurance to take it to a show. Many of the owners have dropped out because of all the regulations and insurance issues.  

Here in PA steam engines (generally speaking) require an annual inspection and I believe the operator needs a licence. Back around 2000 a steam tractor exploded at a fair in Ohio and killed 5 people.

Steam is really neat and really scary. Nothing quite like a good steam explosion............Bob

• Like 1

Very nice! Along with the steam theme here is my ride for a couple of events per year:

DSC_4605.thumb.JPG.80c2254d698f39f34a0241f4ae68ce77.JPG

Its a 20 ton Lombard Steam log hauler dating from approx. 1908. Its owned and operated by the Maine Forest & Logging Museum in Bradley, Maine. These machines were designed to haul long sled trains of timber (up to 300 tons) over winter ice roads. We have swapped out the skis for wheels so we can operate it during the summer months. In the photo I am working the throttle while my daughter makes sure I am doing it all correctly. Way out in front is the steersman.

When we get board with steam (is that possible?) we have the 1932 10 ton gasoline Lombard to operate. This particular machine is on loan to the museum.

IMG_1288.thumb.JPG.9f49ba36421dcd4a20c7e5722cc17ce5.JPG

And... a video link to a film taken during the Museum's Living History Days event.

Steam & Gasoline Lombard Maine Forest & Logging Museum

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Fantastic. Wish I lived a bit closer. What powers the machine shop main belt shaft?...............Bob

There is no electricity at the museum. For now use an electric motor powered by a gas generator. It would be real neat to have a small steam engine to run it or perhaps a make & break.

11 minutes ago, Terry Harper said:

There is no electricity at the museum. For now use an electric motor powered by a gas generator. It would be real neat to have a small steam engine to run it or perhaps a make & break.

I thought maybe the mill wheel was used. That would be fantastic. Really nice museum you folks should be proud.........Bob

I really enjoy old iron and only live a few miles from one of the larger old engine/tractor shows in the mid-west.  There are several building with engines, a saw mill, hundreds of tractors, tractor harvesting demos, tractor pulls.....steam, gas, diesel.....just a bit of everything.  The video below just walks you through two of the buildings - love it when the ground shakes from the energy of these machines.

This is one of the reasons I really like the Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village in Dearborn, MI in September.  You get to see and hear all the vintage cars and trucks do what they were designed for as they drive around.  Plus there are some really cool buildings with working equipment (engines, line shaft, machines), a steam train and lots of other vintage stuff as part of the village.

The only problem is it's winter here now - cold and snowy, so most everything is put away. But I am looking forward to the Gilmore Car Museum pre-war tour in May.  If you're interested, check out their website.

Dad, being a steam guy made it clear that the use of "steam roller", "steam shovel", and "fire engine" were not to be used unless they really were, which wasn't often.  He was also adamant that "angle iron" is not available in steel or aluminum.  Those are just angle.

4 hours ago, emjay said:

Dad, being a steam guy made it clear that the use of "steam roller", "steam shovel", and "fire engine" were not to be used unless they really were, which wasn't often.  He was also adamant that "angle iron" is not available in steel or aluminum.  Those are just angle.

And an engine is a manly thing that makes noise, belches fire and smoke, and is found in most cars/trucks. A motor is an effete usually round quiet thing found in some car like objects................Bob

• Like 1

I was in the same class on engine versus motor.  Only electric vehicles have motors yet "Motor Car" was widely used.  Thermodynamics calls these things "heat engines" probably because they produce work by moving energy from a high temp source to a low temp output.  The internal combustion engine hides the high temp source internally.

Edited by emjay (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I'm an old railroader so I think an engine is what pulls train cars. :D  Otherwise the term engine and motor are basically interchangeable in referring to a machine that converts power into motion.

Yeah I know. They are technically interchangeable terms. Neither is wrong or right. But my cars all have engines to make them go and motors to blow hot air on a cold day. But that's just me.................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1