Gents,  an effort to get the color on the 63 Buick Riviera air cleaner holder as close as possible. In all cases: the version you see is my last attempt of “ getting it right”.5665F4BF-97FF-496A-B10F-4F91F158ABDC.thumb.jpeg.977200d298c85ab610aa24545d6ea12b.jpeg

Bob- nice job . Were you able to get the "crinkle " feel ?  What paint did you use ? Got one to restore myself -trying to get up the nerve to do it . Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

2 hours ago, Scott Mckenzie said:

VHT makes a crinkle red if you have to have crinkle . Bob that looks great,keep up the good work !

Scott, thanks for your valuable and appreciated input.

Red Riviera Bob

2 hours ago, kreed said:

Bob- nice job . Were you able to get the "crinkle " feel ?  What paint did you use ? Got one to restore myself -trying to get up the nerve to do it . Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

Ken, the recipe is simple. Strip all the paint off to bare metal. Wash it with soap and water. Dry it off good and use dark gray primer. Next spray with cream color paint. Lastly get the VH? Red hi temp paint and spray. Go light on each coat and you won’t get any drips.

This is Jim Cannon’s recipe- not mine. I used Jim’s method. Piece of cake. Getting the metal decal on secure and have the seems match up is another Jim Cannon instruction set.

ill send some close ups and you decide how much krinkle is there.

RRB

2 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

The color looks pretty good Bob.  I don't know why GM used a crinkle finish to begin with.  It certainly wasn't practical.  

I've also wondered why Buick chose not to match the color of the decal and the air cleaner.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

I've also wondered why Buick chose not to match the color of the decal and the air cleaner.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Ed, have not a clue. Actually, I thought the aluminum decal on my ac cleaner “holder” was incorrect. Since I’ve never seen the real deal so to speak I’m only guessing. I would think, like you, the metal decal color would match the canister color that holds the air cleaner. I’m sure there may be someone that knows the truth.

thank you

3 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Ken, the recipe is simple. Strip all the paint off to bare metal. Wash it with soap and water. Dry it off good and use dark gray primer. Next spray with cream color paint. Lastly get the VH? Red hi temp paint and spray. Go light on each coat and you won’t get any drips.

This is Jim Cannon’s recipe- not mine. I used Jim’s method. Piece of cake. Getting the metal decal on secure and have the seems match up is another Jim Cannon instruction set.

ill send some close ups and you decide how much krinkle is there.

RRB

Ken here are some close ups.

D626E4AF-6F3E-4B79-B0BD-6FE870BB2915.jpeg

824C9F65-D844-4582-9E0C-C2EC3FB670F5.jpeg

8596B0EA-BA23-433D-A644-6E803767E1B8.jpeg

1 minute ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

I’m sure there may be someone that knows the truth.

Probably took it to his grave with him. 😔

13 hours ago, RivNut said:

Probably took it to his grave with him. 😔

Ed, again you have it right. So much of automobile history is preserved you would think a color code for the air cleaner cover would exist. It is hard to believe the facts regarding the color of that particular air cleaner doesn’t exist some place. I suppose a history detective with time available could track down the color story.

RRB