Auto Inspection Companies

bobg1951chevy

I have a '51 Chevy for sale, which has attracted a high level of interest.

Problem is, most of the interest is not close to home.

Potential buyers have asked if I would allow a company to come to my home, to evaluate the car.

I have not had this experience, do not know what to expect.

I would like feedback, as to what happens when a potential buyer pays for an inspection.

What does the inspection consist of ?

Thanks.

You'll probably be shocked by how little the "inspector" actually knows about cars. Most companies pay a guy a partial cut of the fee to do the inspection, take some photos, and fill out a form. Some of them hold seminars at a hotel on a Saturday afternoon, and afterwards the guys walk out as "certified" inspectors. The inspectors we've had through our shop have day jobs like appliance repair man, taxi company dispatcher, college student, high school shop teacher, restaurant manager, etc. Only a tiny handful have any real industry experience. Some are genuine hobbyists, and they usually do the best job, but I still expect the deal to fall through when an inspector shows up. Remember that he's being paid to find problems, not rave about quality, so that's what he does.

It is unlikely that he will drive the car, but he will probably want to ride with you while you drive it. He will not do any of the things that buyers hope he will do--he won't do a compression test, a leakdown test, or sample the fluids. He'll ask you to turn it on and off a few times, he'll test the lights, signals, and horn, and he'll measure the tread depth of the tires. He will probably take a VERY CLOSE UP photo of every single flaw on the car and over-react to leaks underneath. Anything that isn't perfect, flat, shiny paint will be labeled "bad bodywork." He will act like he knows what he's doing and what he's looking at, but he probably doesn't (I remember a buyer sent an inspector to look at a 1970 GTO Judge convertible we had, and this college kid walks in, looks at the GTO and says, "Wow, I didn't know they made orange Mustangs!" Derp.).

I have found it's best to just stand back and let them do their thing. Don't try to distract him from the problem areas and don't try to steer him to the good stuff. Don't fill his head with production figures and stats, because that's meaningless to him. He doesn't care if it's rare or unusual or that your Uncle Frank bought it new. Let him do his thing, which can take 5 minutes or 2 hours, depending on the inspector.

You should also be prepared for them to insult your car. Not directly, but by the time it's done, you'll be feeling very defensive. If you want to try to explain away the issues, pick one or two, don't die on every hill. He won't care and won't make any notes, but it'll make you feel better. One company's inspectors in particular (the biggest one with the initials that start with AA_) has flat-out admitted to me that they do not want their clients buying the cars that they inspect. 1. they get paid, who cares if the guy buys the car. 2. they look like heroes for helping the guy avoid a lemon, and better yet, he'll probably use them again on the next car. And 3. they won't have to own any problems that they might have overlooked. I strongly suspect this is the case with many inspection companies--it certainly makes sense, doesn't it?

In my opinion, pre-purchase inspections are borderline scams with unqualified people performing an inspection of irrelevant features and refusing to put a 70-year-old car into context and instead comparing it to a 2-year-old Lexus. But since you're the seller, let the buyer do what he wants and just cooperate with the inspector when asked (open the hood, honk the horn, take it for a drive, etc.). They won't hurt the car, but they probably won't help you sell it, either. He'll leave and you'll think he's a dipshiat and that'll be that.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My Father and I have purchased several cars that were a great distance from home and we have inspected each one in person. Having a second party inspection on ones behalf seems to be an invitation for trouble or disappointment in my opinion. 

• Like 1

everything Matt says and be prepared for the "beat down".

The buyers like to use these guys to knock down the price. The guys I had here, knew nothing about a 39 Ford panel and were asking me the questions..............

then the buyer thought he was getting the vehicle for free.  I wouldnt waste my time if the buyer is not willing to come out on their own................

very similar to house inspections, where 300. gives the buyer another 10k of "necessary" repairs on a house or more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I was really serious about purchasing a car I'd go look at it in person! If your buyer doesn't have the time, that's his problem and decision.If he wants an inspection , make sure he pays for it! There's no opinion like your own!

• Like 1

Matt's accounts, from his experience, are always

worth reading.  I suspect that most people who hire

these inspectors think the inspectors really ARE

knowledgeable people.  They don't realize how little

some know.

Bob G., maybe you should recommend to your potential

buyer that he engage some knowledgeable marque expert. 

The buyer would likely appreciate your candid expertise that way.

And helping a fellow hobbyist, or hobbyist-to-be, brings

its own reward.  However, let the buyer find his own expert.

Some inspectors surely know old cars.  William H. Smith,

the former Executive Director of the AACA, has done

antique car inspections and appraisals after he left his

AACA office position.  I know another, active in a 

well-known car museum, who does the same work.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I was storing a car for a friend with the first right to refuse. The title was tied up in the estate and there was some friction between the heirs.

One of the siblings (my friend) was left this car by her mother but her step brother felt jilted. (don't know why as he was left a couple of nice pieces himself).

Anyway the step brother sent out three different inspectors to look at the car. I am thinking that he was fishing for a high appraisal.

I have to agree that these inspectors didn't really know much, however they did all agree that the car wasn't worth what the step brother was fishing for.

Long story short, when the title finally cleared I was able to buy the car for about what these inspectors suggested it was worth.

I ran into the step brother at a show shortly after that and we had a nice talk. I had met him before but he didn't know I was the guy sitting on the car. No problems, he was driving a nice car that he inherited.

On another note, I got interested in a car that was on the other sider of the country and asked on these forums if anybody lived near the location of the car.

One of our forum brothers stepped up and took a look at that car and found it to be as described so I bought it.

I wouldn't be afraid to let an inspector come to my home to take a look. Just make sure that he is some sort of legit via a phone conversation and have him bring his ID.

• Like 1

I have had two cars I was selling subjected to these inspections and I agree with most of Matt's comments above. In one case the inspector was a total joke and obviously knew nothing. In the second case with the "AA" company the inspector seemed to know his stuff but was doing the magnify flaws thing. In both cases the inspections apparently killed potential sales, I never heard back from the second one but the potential buyer in the first case was kind enough to send me a copy of the inspection. It was a sixth grade level mess with the deal ending blow being the inspectors assumption the car had a cracked block with absolutely no evidence.

I used a third party inspector once for a prewar car but he was a well known CCC officer and prewar car collector. His positive review clinched the deal for me and the car was exactly as represented.

• Like 1

Interesting!  Guess it is all a matter of perspective.  An inspector killing your deal might be viewed as a wonderful lifesaver by a potential buyer?

I used an inspection service once to look at a car for me in WA state.  I was in WI, and not desirous of taking a trip to the coast.  I was able to request/instruct as to specific things I wanted inspected.  I was very satisfied with the result/report. I say that, as it convinced me not to buy the car!

At one point I offered to inspect cars for a fee of $1,000 per day plus travel expenses. That's less than I charge for "real" work, but I am covered. People were stricken with the blind staggers at the thought.

There is a whole list of cheaper ones in Hemmings. $200 or $300 is not a conceivable fee. I have heard the spiel at club meetings and seen the booths at swap meets. Matt's point about no giving the go ahead to reduce their risk is probably the key to it all. I never thought of that, but I like the concept.

One group told me they had a data base and reference members for their agents to consult with. Kind of makes one laugh.

Bernie

3 hours ago, D Yaros said:

Interesting!  Guess it is all a matter of perspective.  An inspector killing your deal might be viewed as a wonderful lifesaver by a potential buyer?

I used an inspection service once to look at a car for me in WA state.  I was in WI, and not desirous of taking a trip to the coast.  I was able to request/instruct as to specific things I wanted inspected.  I was very satisfied with the result/report. I say that, as it convinced me not to buy the car!

If it's a car you want and the inspector flubs the inspection, how is that good for you? Maybe you missed a good car and the inspector's lack of experience made him mistake patina for defects. Maybe you ended up with a second-best car because the inspector didn't know what he was looking at and convinced you not to buy the best. Read what I said up above about it being an admitted scam by the biggest inspection company of all. They don't want you to buy the car. But you'll never know, will you? They're counting on it.

I've told this story before, but my 1941 Cadillac 60 Special was AACA HPOF car of the year in 2012. It won at Hershey of all places. It was a SERIOUSLY nice original car. A buyer hired an inspector to look at it. The inspector looked at the 100% original paint (which had nicks and scratches and thin spots, of course) and instead of making notes, just scribbled all over the diagram where he was supposed to mark defects. He looked underneath and said it was a rust bucket when all he saw was surface scale on the exhaust, axle, driveshaft, etc. He said it was hard to start because it turned over slowly (if you've ever had a '41 Cadillac, you know that it turns so slowly that at about the moment you're about to give up, it catches). He drove it and ground the Hydra-Matic transmission going into reverse (again, if you've owned one, you know to put it in Drive first, let it take a set, then move to Reverse--it's in the manual). All these things combined resulted in a buyer accusing me of being a fraud and a thief and claiming that the car needed a complete restoration and was a hunk of junk. This is the car:

001.jpg

Again, it was AACA HPOF car of the year in 2012, one of the only awards that I truly treasure and display in my office. 

Did the inspector do right by that buyer? I eventually sold it and it went on to win additional awards in both the AACA and CLC and recently traded hands on eBay for about $45,000. I miss it very much and would like to have it back. But because of an inspector, someone missed out on a high-quality car that he really wanted. I'm sure he felt relieved to have missed this "rust bucket" that needed a "full restoration" but he was badly mistaken. Worse, it cost him $500 to not own the car. I don't see how that is a well-rendered professional service that benefits a buyer. I just don't.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 8

Agree with everyone's comments especially Matt's.  While selling cars, several times potential buyers have sent these 'inspectors'.  Most of the time, they killed the deals for nice cars and as other posters mention, these inspectors were mostly clueless about vintage cars & restorations.  A commonality of many have been tools to measure the paint thickness. 

There a well spoken person who posts on the Cadillac & LaSalle Club forums.  He's a book educated, self proclaimed expert who attended one of those weekend seminars and now identifies himself as a 'Certified Appraiser-Classic Car Broker-Global Consultant'.   LOL!!!   He's fooled a lot of people who should know better. 

Bringing up Cadillac cars is always entertaining. Just look at this and raise your hand if you smile: http://www.ebay.com/gds/A-Collectors-Guide-to-Vintage-Cadillacs-/10000000178571607/g.html

AND, if you want real entertainment find a copy of The Illustrated Cadillac Buyer's Guide, by Richard Langworth. I read it back in the 1990's when I first developed an interest in collectible Cadillacs. The book is a real hoot. Why didn't they hire an author who LIKED Cadillacs to write that book!

I can shift a '41 into reverse without instruction and I know to look for rust pinholes in the air cleaner.

My issue with appraisers is the amount of detail they need and generally don't have. We had a contributor to the Forum a year or two ago who bought a Buick convertible based on an inspection and his list of unforeseen problems was truly, the absolute, literal, definition of "incredible". You just can't hire some general gemoke to critique a car as the inspection is perceived.

A few times I have had a car looked over for various reasons. I use my club roster to find a member nearby who has a similar car. $50 to $100 gets you very diligent service and real knowledge. That is a benefit of being a member of the club. Recently I asked a Forum member to check out a car in Brooklyn for me. He readily agreed, but it turned out I was fooled by a picture of the car and my fat fingers in a search.

Your club is the real resource. Use it. A few years ago a friend asked if I could check out a modified Chevy he saw for sale in the Good Guys classified ads. I checked the Cadillac roster and found a guy in the same zip with three hearses. Not the same at all, but I figured he was an eclectic. I called and it turned out he had put the exhaust system on that car. I sent a checklist, things looked good and he even arranged another guy to transport it. My friend has put many miles on that car and still has it. I did $250 worth of work to ready the car.

This morning I took a ride over for my 3rd look at a BMW V12 760li that I am thinking about buying. Imagine an appraiser reporting on THAT for me. "I" even know it's a sign of my impaired judgement!

Bernie

I personally never hired someone to check out a car. I would probably trust a member here over one of these ‘pros’  too be honest. I did however have a seller send me an appraisal he had on a Jag MK IX along with a lot of pictures. The pics looked good and the paper work was very positive. I flew out to NJ (probably should have been the first caution flag - sorry NJ members) got to the car and was very disappointed to say the least. The car had been stored outside with one window partially open. The pics had to be 10-15 years old or a different car. The write up was no way from that car or again was very old with a new date filled in. The only way I would consider a car is to go see it. The travel cost is just part of your car cost. If you can’t afford the money or time you probably should not buy the car. 

Have fun 

Dave S 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 4

That would be my appraisal of inspectors.

This topic is reminding me of a personal recommendation I received for a potential employee. The candidate came in for the interview and we walked through some power plant areas and equipment rooms as we talked. Back at the desk I tossed his resume on the flat area between us. "Who's this guy?" I asked. He sheepishly admitted he had hired a professional service to write his resume. He worked out OK in spite of the professional help.

Bernie

• Like 1

In 1979 I was living in a small Okanagan town and selling a 1974 Corolla with 90,000 Kms on it.  A local young lady (soon to be married) came to look at it and wanted to take it to her mechanic.  I let her take it and she came back in an hour.  His report said it needed a head gasket and a new clutch.  I told her it didn't and I would go back to her mechanic with her.  If he could prove that it needed a clutch and head gasket I would pay for the repairs if she bought the car.  The head gasket turned out to be a valve cover gasket not a head gasket (well he said "that is what I call it").  I asked him to pull the inspection cover and show me the worn clutch.  He said he hadn't looked at it because these little cars all need a new clutch at 50,000 miles.  I insisted he pull the cover.  The clutch was just like new he admitted.  When I told him I didn't use the clutch for shifting he said you can't drive a car that way.  I took both of them for a drive and showed them how I shifted.  She said she would buy the car if I would show her how to float the gears.  She did and I did and then I had to show her fiance how it was done.  The mechanic lost two complete families business on that deal.  Having journeyman's papers doesn't make you a competent mechanic.

The other side of the coin.  My youngest son always researches any purchase nineteen ways from Sunday.   He was looking at a Porsche on e bay in California.  He researched someone to inspect the car and send him a report.  He liked the report, bid on the car and won it by going over his maximum bid in the last minute.  He told the seller he would be down on Wednesday and wired him a deposit and a complete list of the paperwork he would need to import the car into Canada.  He flew down, paid the balance, drove back and enjoyed the car for 16 years.  The car was exactly as described in the inspectors report.

Obviously there is at least one good inspector out there and equally obviously there are some that are a waste of oxygen.

It depends on the knowledge and insight of the vehicle inspector.

Like every other profession - it varies.

If you are selling a car and agree to consider serious prospective Buyers who live a distance away - it is part of the selling process.

Jim 

Consider your seller situation after the sale, as well.

A friend of mine used to sell  and service lawn mowers.  He had two similar models. One was in very good condition, the other, a little rough and obviously soon to need repairs. He was complaining about the sale of the second. He said he gave the guy a break because it wasn't in such good condition. But the buyer kept coming back asking for things to be fixed. The good one was paid for and gone.

I told him he should have charged more for the one that he KNEW would be a problem and less for the one that was good and went away. OR charged high for both, one for being good and the other for being a PIA.

You need to anticipate the buyer's expectations. I usually err on the side of expecting to hear some kind of whining after the sale.

I wasn't born thinking like that. I was trained by experts. One that comes to mind is a GMC truck I sold for under $1,000 in the 1970's. The guy told me it was a piece of crap every time I saw him during the 10 years he drove it. Now I charge a lot more for the rough ones.

There's a smile for after church.

Bernie

Bernie, I like the way you think.  :lol:

Back in early 90s, was selling dad's two Diesel Seville Elegantes.  One had almost quarter million miles but was well maintained and very reliable.  I drove it for 6 months prior to the sale.  The other was low miles and garage kept. 

Friend of my in-laws bought the high mileage car for a song (deeply discounted) then later came back with a list of things that repaired AND expected for the estate to pay for them.  Huh?  The list of repairs was much more than he paid for the car.  Essentially he wanted us to pay to restore the car for him.  Uhh, no.  He** no!!!   Stuff like new shocks, rebuild the front suspension, change antifreeze, fuel filter, glow plug, windshield had some rock nicks.  He then proceeded to bad mouth us to mutual acquaintances how we 'took him' for a ride.  He's the one who asked about buying it - was not advertised when the sale happened.  In fact, I was still driving it regularly. 

The low mileage car we asked top dollar (for a Cadillac diesel) in the newspaper and the guy was happy as a clam. 

Moral of the story?  I don't sell to friends, acquaintances or club members. 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2018 at 5:07 PM, Matt Harwood said:

If it's a car you want and the inspector flubs the inspection, how is that good for you? Maybe you missed a good car and the inspector's lack of experience made him mistake patina for defects. Maybe you ended up with a second-best car because the inspector didn't know what he was looking at and convinced you not to buy the best. Read what I said up above about it being an admitted scam by the biggest inspection company of all. They don't want you to buy the car. But you'll never know, will you? They're counting on it.

What I am trying to point out is, not all inspectors are bad/incompetent/whatever.  In my case I was able to tell him what I wanted photographed/inspected.  His opinions were noted, but not relied on by me in making my decision.  The photos were relied on by me, heavily.  After all, pictures do not lie, right?

I think for a commercial inspection to be of value one has to be able to direct the inspector in terms of what to inspect and photograph.  Many inspection services do not allow such.  That they do not is a red flag!.  Some only allow communication with the inspector after the inspection has been completed.  Another red flag.  Some allow no one-on-one communication.  You get a report and that is it.  Run from such entities!

Of course,  we all agree that doing your own inspection is best.  That is not always possible.  When it is not, we want someone who is knowledgeable with respect to old rides, and the particular marque.

That said, even if I hired/asked Matt Harwood to look at a ride for me I would want to tell him what to look at and photograph.  If, when doing so he said, "I know what to inspect and do not need your directives," well, I would be looking to find another inspector!    

On 2/9/2018 at 4:55 PM, 60FlatTop said:

At one point I offered to inspect cars for a fee of $1,000 per day plus travel expenses. That's less than I charge for "real" work, but I am covered. People were stricken with the blind staggers at the thought.

Now you sound like someone from my generation, focused on what you are worth, rather than what the job is worth! Though I have a feeling you have a slightly better grasp than both values than most folks down near my age (-=

2 hours ago, D Yaros said:

After all, pictures do not lie, right?

Not sure if you were serious or not but pictures can be the biggest liars in the world!!!

Did I already say this?  I've bought cars I personally inspected first and was not happy with the guy that did the inspection.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know of a fellow in Cal. that will do an inspections for potential buyers specialises in Jags. Only problem is he will buy the car himself if it is a very good price telling you it is to expensive, needs too much work what ever. You will see the car relisted for sale again by a different seller after that. Best to Google looking for any info on the person you are going to hire see if he is dependable.

• Like 1

Not sure I should mention the local inspector who walks in and says, "How good do you want me to make it?" Or, alternatively, if he's doing an appraisal, "What should I say it's worth?"

He's well-known in our area and has made a good living doing this for many years. A lot of people have trusted him. 

13 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

I know of a fellow in Cal. that will do an inspections for potential buyers specialises in Jags. Only problem is he will buy the car himself if it is a very good price telling you it is to expensive, needs too much work what ever. ...

Such a practice is unethical, according to logic and morals, and,

thankfully, to the ethical guidelines of a national society of appraisers.

Anyone who appraises an item as an independent appraiser

would have a conflict of interest if he offered to buy that item.

"Well, Ma'am, I'd say your late husband's old Bugatti is 

worth about $10,000.  I'll buy it!"

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Such a practice is unethical, according to logic and morals, and,

thankfully, to the ethical guidelines of a national society of appraisers.

Anyone who appraises an item as an independent appraiser

would have a conflict of interest if he offered to buy that item.

"Well, Ma'am, I'd say your late husband's old Bugatti is 

worth about $10,000.  I'll buy it!"

And that should stop unscrupulous people from being unscrupulous how, exactly?

That's the whole point of this discussion. Many professional appraisers and pre-purchase inspectors are woefully unqualified at best and criminally dishonest at worst.

• Like 3

I've actually had better luck hiring a friend that knows very little about cars.  He was so nervous he was going to mess something up,  he called me and asked exactly what what I wanted to know,  then took photos of exactly where I wanted to see.  The car  was a very good deal and a non runner anyways,  so I just need confirmation that it was what it was  and nothing important was missing.  I flipped him $100 and he was happy to take the wife out for the Sunday drive to go look at it.  

The professional inspection of my Corvette I had 2 things I wanted verified.  That ll the numbers matched and there were no body repairs as evidence by all the bonding seems being original.  

The seller had already sent me over 100 photos of the car and 80 were of the undercarriage on a lift, so I wasn't concerned about that.  I bought it,  then it showed up and the first thing I saw as it was coming off the transport truck was the front fender had been repaired at some point down low including replacing the bottom corner panel so the bonding strip was wrong there,  It was a good repair and probably only noticeable as the filler used on the seam (the repair being over 25 years old) had shrunk a little leaving a variation which was highlighted by the very smooth gloss black paint.   I was a little irked as I only asked the inspector to verify two things.  He was suppose to be a Corvette judge as well,  because I specified I wanted someone knowledgeable on C1 Corvettes.  

I sent my wife out in the garage after it had been unloaded and told her,  the car was ok but had been fixed.  She went out and found the spot within a couple of minutes,  in my tight 2 stall garage.   She's not a car person,  though her critiques are much better than a lot of car guys I know when it comes to repaints or body work.   Even at Hershey in the Car corral she picks out the 100 percent original paint cars with a respray. 

• Like 1

From reading all the unfavorable comments about hiring an inspector through a company, I'd strongly suggest that a potential buyer try to reach out to a known authority on the type of car in question (possibly through a club, or just by reputation).

I've been hired to document (inspect) '58-'64 full size Chevys a number of times, and I don't just pick on the cars. It depends on what I'm being hired for. I have been asked to pick the stuffing out of a car that was previously restored and list all the mistakes that were made and need to be corrected. Mostly, I'm asked to verify what is authentic about the car (or not as presented).

Whether it's the owner or a potential buyer, a reasonable fee is worth every penny either way the results come in. If the car turns out to be legit, the fee was worth it to confirm its higher value. If the car turns out to be a forgery, the fee is a small price to pay to save someone thousands if he had bought the wrong car.

• Like 2

I belong to a club here in Canada that has multiple regions and each region  has insurance recognised apprasers. There is no such thing as a licenced appraiser here in Canada so do your homework on who you hire. Now my real point is if you get your car appraised by a club appraiser at the regular price of $125. You get a free membership for a year and yes we do get some new members that stay with the club. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)