APX. 1915-1920 Touring car wanted

engineguy63

Looking to buy a touring car, not stuck to the idea of a particular marque, but generally I like the bigger buicks in particular, or similar.  Would ideally be located in NewEngland as I am in western MA and do not drive any distance, BUT may consider shipping from a longer distance.  If you have something you would be interested in letting go of, Please send a picture and price, or send me a description and a number to contact you and we can talk. I would like it to be a touring (open) car. Thanks for your interest.

ericsengines@gmail.com 

Welcome to AACA forums , engineguy63 ! Participating in car hunts is actually a fairly popular activity here. I am a bit surprised that I am the first to respond after a day of silence. I am assuming from your handle , and email that you are experienced as a mechanic , and perhaps a machinist also. After making this guess , I don't feel confident from the information at hand to speculate about other relevant skills you may have. Much easier , more efficient , is for you to give us a an idea of your skill sets , and experience level with old cars , particularly of the period of interest.This , and the level of condition you are looking for would help to jump start the discussion here. Another tip is to post on the Buick section , maybe in pre-war. The Buick guys are an extremely helpful loyal bunch. Some are so hard-core that they seldom stray far from their ranks. Since you are open to a number of cars , by all means hang in here too. It seems to me that these days the hunters on the forums do pretty well. Some guys are so diligent and helpful that they go to great lengths , over the long haul , never slacking. Yeah , let us get to know you better. You won't find a more helpful group than AACA. I am very glad you joined us ! This should be fun ! Many of us have great interest in cars of this period. I am 73 years old , and would like to see my original , unrestored 1924 Cadillac 7 passenger touring turn 100. I know that is asking a lot , but I think my chances are better with it than to see my other ancient Cadillac get there. It is a 1927 standard 5 passenger sedan , also original and unrestored. They both look good , and run very well , and I enjoy driving many miles with them.  At this point , I think that is my favorite activity. I wish I could do much more of it. I feel much healthier , younger and stronger behind the wheel of these machines. I have referred to this activity as cheap psychotherapy. Have you been reading any of our forums for a while before signing in ?      - Carl

• Like 2

Hi Carl, Thanks for the input. I am not a mechanic, nor a machinist.....................I was Formerly a sales manager. I use to enjoy vintage Harley Davidson motorcycles, and corvettes, however significant back injury and neuropathy, amongst other issues has left me unable to get any use from my former cars/bikes, and as such they were sold off. I also was  in the Hit and Miss engine  hobby, but at this time I am limited to only the smallest model sized engines to enjoy.  I recently had a chance to sit in a '19 Buick  H45 and was impressed by its size and "presence" and as its much bigger and easier to get into and not at all low to the ground thought it may be a good fit for me. A top speed of 40 mph is fine as everything moves slower for me now. Because I was impressed by the size of this car, I was leaning towards the Buick's but any car in that size range will probably suite me fine. I am particularly interested in the 1915- maybe early 20's models as I like the look and simplicity. Effectively I would not be able to work on it, but, have a mechanically talented friend who would be happy to help. As to condition I am also fairly flexible......... A driver is fine for me, paint does not have to be perfect nor does the interior have to be perfect, however it should be reasonably mechanically sound. That being said I certainly may fall for a really nicely restored car as well. I will post something soon in the Buick pre war section as I navigate around this forum.....I am VERY computer illiterate, however I am finding this site a little easier to navigate around as I explore it. Slow but Sure.  I would also like to ask, and maybe I will post this in the Buick pre war section if there is a size difference in the GM line up in this vintage.......in other words if I like the size of the Buick, would I like the Dodge and olds  Touring cars as well....or are they a bit smaller?? I did once take a VERY short ride in a ford T, and so Those are completely out for me......WAY to small and I would have a hard time with the Transmission peddles........I am a fairy big Guy.

engineguy63, 

If you've had a significant back injury, make sure you test drive before you buy. 1915-20s cars do not have good brakes and you really have to push hard on the mechanical brakes to make a decent stop. 

I don't just use my leg to brake my '21 Franklin, but put my whole body into the process. 

You might want to consider a slightly later car with four wheel or hydraulic brakes.   

Just a suggestion. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...