'64-65 Riviera bombsight source

65VerdeGS

There are several places you can buy these repros... Right '64 & '65 are the same.
You can get the repros at Ebay, OPGI and - I'm not sure but - Clark's should have them too (or had them for a while).

I got mine from OPGI. Quality is quite good but they are a bit expensive: 

https://www.opgi.com/searchpart.asp?vehicle=riviera&year=1965&keyword=hood+spear+emblem

Here I found one for less than OPGI wants but can't say anything about the quality:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/64-65-Buick-Riviera-Hood-ornament-NEW-1964-1965-BUR010-/332134281784

You can also ask David Jackson for an original ornament... He is on Facebook and has a lot of cool and good quality parts (I bought a few from him - always neat)... Just drop him a pm via FB messenger with your request, you will get a fast answer:
https://www.facebook.com/david.jackson.3990

Good luck! ;)

Edited by Schmiddy
Update (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have no personal experience with the repro bombsight, but someone on the forum a while back

was complaining that the repro piece is not die cast but  instead a low pressure casting that is made of soft metal that bends easily......

not good for a piece that has to stand up on the hood unsupported. If that is indeed the case a nice used one might be a better alternative.                

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I would venture to say that all of the repos are made by one manufacturer and there are many distributors.  I've seen a few on cars at different ROA events and have to say that they all looked good.  If you can't find a really nice used one, just go with the best price on the repo.  No harm in contacting the seller and asking who made it.  

Ed

The repros that I have bought in the past looked fine and the chrome was good but the metal is soft.  These are mounted with a speed nut and will tighten up OK when first installed.  If you need to remove it for any reason, good luck getting the speed nut to tighten down again.

Thanks Schmiddy for your tips on where to find a replacement '65 hood ornament!

Here's a picture of mine.  It's the original, but showing its age somewhat:

image.png.b2dc5e1e6ff09f224990b0c33a6f5ddf.png

This hood ornament has been removed at least twice over the years, as I've had the car painted twice in the 35 years I've owned it (it still wore it's original paint when I bought it).

The ornament is loose because, as Pat mentioned, the 'speed nut' no longer grabs the stud tightly. 

Always something to tinker with, right?

8 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Thanks Schmiddy for your tips on where to find a replacement '65 hood ornament!

Always something to tinker with, right?

You're welcome Alex!

Yes...That's nothing new an can be fixed quite easy. As Ed mentioned, just take a new smaller speed nut, or put 2 heat shrink tubing on top of each other. (As long as you don't drive at 200 miles per hour, this hold good enough :lol::P). 

If you buy a new repro part, you can of course try it with a matching bolt and some sensitivity - take care to take a bolt wich is not too tight (otherwise you could break the pin... that's how I did it, this fits perfectly). The bolt cuts a much finer screw thread than the speed nut. You can prepare this before the final assembly and the bolt can be screwed back easier and more precise - use an adequate screw spacer between hood and bolt. (You can't do this 100 times though, the metal is really very soft and the "new thread" keeps it up to 3-4x I would say.  After that, just use a smaller bolt, or the same method with the shrink tubing. (Way better than this dumb speed nut... didn't understand why they fix it that way in 63-65).