Painting a hood matte black

RansomEli

I want to paint a hood matte black, similar to a 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 302. I have a few questions:

1. Is there a matte black paint I can buy? I checked TCP Global and they don't carry matte black. I don't want satin black or hot rod black.
  2. Am I better off buying a can of black and then using a flattening agent?
  3. Once the paint is on, how do I create it? I'm assuming no clear coat. But does the paint take a wax? 

Thanks. 

Suggest you talk to whoever you buy your paint from. The matte black paint was in vogue for a few years on muscle cars. You could start by finding what paint was used on the Mustang and buying that.

There is no wax for matte colors. There may be a flat clear coat but base/clear was not used in the late 60s. This is the kind of question your paint supplier should be able to answer.

Most auto paint vendors sell a version of "hot rod flat black" topcoat.  It's popular in the street rod world, since it was sort of traditional to run around in a primered car.  The new versions are topcoats and are designed as topcoats. 

45564.jpg

ua70388a.gif1_bbd4e1f5-51f2-4038-ac72-d905d7c83db2_lHot-Rod-Black-Urethane-Paint-Kit-5-Star-

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

If you use the terms Hot Rod Black, Matte Black, and Satin Black, you really do need to talk to the paint supplier you use and see chips, as these terms DO NOT mean anything across paint lines (different manufacturers) except they are not 100% gloss black.

As Joe shows, there are suppliers of not gloss black for topcoat use.

You also cannot buff out dirt and other imperfections!:huh:

If it were our problem we would call our paint supplier and ask for a small amount of, say, 70% gloss black and do a spray out. Too shiny we would adjust the % until we got what we want. A word of warning, matte finishes are extremely sensitive to temp, humidity, and the skill of the painter. Very difficult to get the same effect twice. By the way, it's "flatting agent" not "flattening agent". Why I do not know.

If you want to truly duplicate the look of the Mustang or cars like the 70 AAR Cuda you need to talk to musclecar restorers. I did this hood back in the 80s, do not remember the product I used but it looked great. Comments above about no wax anywhere near it and difficulties with aging were true back then but I would imagine less of an issue with modern materials.

IMG_0025.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How about a vinyl wrap? Not very expensive, looks the same, and  you can take it off if you (or the next owner) don't like it. It's also more durable than paint and doesn't chip as easily, which is good for hoods. There should be a place in your area that can do a wrap and basic satin black on a flat hood should be a piece of cake for them.

• Like 4