Sign in to follow this  
Tom Devoe

King Seeley fuel gauge

I am on the last bit of the fuel system on the 31. I have successfully repaired the fuel gauge, and filled it last night. I bought the fluid from a Packard vendor on line. It seems to work well with light pressure from a syringe. I've read that the liquid is caustic to zinc and steel, which is what the gauge is made of. The faceplate was rusty at the top, but fixable. I'm now concerned with the gauge rusting again, and also the smell. I haven't returned the gauge to the dash yet, it's hanging in the basement workshop. The smell has permeated the shop. It's all I smell when I'm in there. My wife is even complaining about the chemical smell in the kitchen. I'll move the gauge to the garage today, but my question is: will the smell fade? I'm doubting that it will. How do you live with the smell in the car? If your car is in a sealed, heated garage, does the smell take over? I'm now reconsidering using this gauge, and trying to find an electric alternative.

I have worked on four K-S fuel gauges over the years and have never found the liquid to have an odor. I really wonder what you have . Acetylene dibromide is what I remember it being. It has a specific gravity that's critical.

According to the info I found, acetylene dibromide has an odor similar to chloroform. So the system would need to be sealed to prevent any odor leakage.