Why can't they get it right??

RivNut

I just watched a new Jay Leno's Garage on CNBC. In the first part Jay takes a ride in a 1965 R8viera Gran Sport (nice looking car by the way) but he told his guest, Bill Burr,  that the car was powered by a "425 hp, 401"  Now it's going to be hard to believe any other facts that he presents.?

Ed

PS -  If you happened to have seen it, did you recognize it.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I watch his shows on youtube. He has an almost photographic memory for all of his collection, it's incredible. But he does occasionally slip on things. I give him a pass, considering he's almost pushing 70. That, and I'm 20 yrs younger, and with half his memory ability.

• Like 2

I'm reminded of a situation when Jay still hosted the tonight show. He had Mark Harmon on, who was starring in a new series about a detective who happened to drive a white 64 Riviera. He mis-identified it as a 65, and Harmon agreed. He said it was originally his dad's car.  I contacted the show the next day leaving a voicemail for Jay, asking him to correct his statement. He did not do so. 

29 minutes ago, jsgun said:

I watch his shows on youtube. He has an almost photographic memory for all of his collection, it's incredible. But he does occasionally slip on things. I give him a pass, considering he's almost pushing 70. That, and I'm 20 yrs younger, and with half his memory ability.

Chances are when Leno shows a car that's not his, he only repeats what he's been told.  Let's throw this error back on the actual owner for not correcting it when it was being taped. Or maybe the owner doesn't even know.  ?????

My dad is out of town and he called me up at 10:05pm telling me that Jay Leno was going to have a Champagne Mist '65 Riviera on his show. I didn't believe him at first, I never see champagne mist Rivieras. I ran to the TV, turned it to CNBC, and recorded it just as he started talking to Bill Burr! 

I wish the segment was longer; it was a beautiful car! I just need my own set of Rally Wheels now! 

I caught Jay saying it had 425hp too and had to rewind it a couple times to make sure I heard him correctly!

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0534.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DerekC said:

I noticed the hood vents on the Riviera on the show were all chrome. Mine are Champagne Mist. Was this a feature for GS Rivieras only or something?

My 64 was originally Tawny Mist, which has the same paint code as 65's Champaign Mist. I suspect it's the same color. It originally had a saddle interior though. But anyhow, my vents appear to have been painted black in the insets, and no other paint.

Missteps are very common with folks who are not dedicated Riviera enthusiasts.  We see it all the time. Even I find myself making an error at times. In the big picture what percentage of audience of that video knew Jay made an error. I bet less than 1% and the shows producer would not be concerned about that. It’s nice to see the Riviera promoted on the show. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DerekC said:

I noticed the hood vents on the Riviera on the show were all chrome. Mine are Champagne Mist. Was this a feature for GS Rivieras only or something?

IMG_0679.JPG

Only the upper perimeter of the vent was chrome from the factory.  However, there is chrome under the paint on the entire vent.  Some owners have elected to remove the paint so all the chrome shows.  Why GM did it this way I don't really know.  Maybe it was easier to chrome plate the entire unit?  The paint doesn't adhere well to the chrome over time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Derek......good for you for taking on this project and taking care of your grandpa's Riviera. It's great to see someone your age

involved in the hobby!

I shared a couple of PMs with Derek - he's looking for a set of rally wheels and caps for his 65 -  and what he didn't mention here is that he's working with his dad - grandpa is dad's dad.  It's a father / son relationship working on Derek's grandfather's car.  Pretty neat family project.  Color me blue with envy. 

• Like 1

Jay has forgotten more about cars than most car guys ever knew about them to begin with.  

I'm going to give Jay a pass on this.

I'll have to try finding this episode on Youtube or something - this show is one I like to watch, but always forget its on.

8 minutes ago, Hazdaz said:

Jay has forgotten more about cars than most car guys ever knew about them to begin with.  

I'm going to give Jay a pass on this.

I'll have to try finding this episode on Youtube or something - this show is one I like to watch, but always forget its on.

My DVR is set to record any new episode. ?

14 minutes ago, Hazdaz said:

I can't even remember how much I have forgotten.

I know my 445 cubic inch '60 Electra only puts out 325 HP.

Don't forget, Leno is a comedian. He is probably reading this forum under an assumed name and sucking up the exposure right now.

I'd go up against him on car knowledge without hesitation. He might beat me on the knuckle dragger cars like Chevelles. I'd know a little more about them but my rear view mirror vibrates at speed.

Bernie

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

At least he didn't say that it was a 465 cubic inch V8 engine.  I have heard this error in the past as well.

When I was shopping for mine, I saw this so often. Even from professional classic car dealers. Five minutes with Google would have sorted it out.

OK, back to grilling Jay!

For sure it is really cool to see this beautiful car on the show. Excellent. The point of the episode was about dreams being realized; so for Bill Bur it is his dream car essentially (which gives me more respect for him). Sure Jay gets a pass...well maybe a half pass.

I do think it was a missed opportunity to educate the public further on these fine cars. They could have walked around the vehicle and gone over the stats and drink in the body lines. Maybe even mention the nailhead?! Somewhere in the marketing they found that people like the person to person interaction no mater what the show, but I think in most car shows now they are doing it to much. Sure its entertaining to see these two stars talk while riding in the car...they just need to remember that the car is the ***REAL STAR***

We can't help it. People who drive Rivieras have high standard and attention to detail...thats why we drive Rivieras...

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 2/2/2018 at 12:15 AM, RivNut said:

Chances are when Leno shows a car that's not his, he only repeats what he's been told.  Let's throw this error back on the actual owner for not correcting it when it was being taped. Or maybe the owner doesn't even know.  ?????

On 2/2/2018 at 9:50 PM, Chimera said:

OK, back to grilling Jay!

For sure it is really cool to see this beautiful car on the show. Excellent. The point of the episode was about dreams being realized; so for Bill Bur it is his dream car essentially (which gives me more respect for him). Sure Jay gets a pass...well maybe a half pass.

I do think it was a missed opportunity to educate the public further on these fine cars. They could have walked around the vehicle and gone over the stats and drink in the body lines. Maybe even mention the nailhead?! Somewhere in the marketing they found that people like the person to person interaction no mater what the show, but I think in most car shows now they are doing it to much. Sure its entertaining to see these two stars talk while riding in the car...they just need to remember that the car is the ***REAL STAR***

We can't help it. People who drive Rivieras have high standard and attention to detail...thats why we drive Rivieras...

Leno is aging. In the businessI was in it was critical to have your facts right.  We know the old story: assume too much and you make an....out of you and me. 

34 minutes ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

In the businessI was in it was critical to have your facts right.  

I just finished reading a previously classified report that is claimed to be very inaccurate. Stuff I figured was more important than inept air cleaner decal reading. At least Leno broadcast it.

Makes me wonder how much more inaccurate classified stuff is out there.

I'm so bad I check the spelling of people's names to be sure I get it right. Many don't. With a name like Daily the ignorant ones surface quickly.

Even on this Forum, people take what they read literally!

Bernie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Leno is aging. In the businessI was in it was critical to have your facts right.  We know the old story: assume too much and you make an....out of you and me. 

In business, probably so. But this entertainment.  Chances are that less than 10% of one half of one percent of the viewers even cared.  

On 2/2/2018 at 5:30 PM, lrlforfun said:

OK Riviera People:  I gotta blast y'all here.  If everybody were as critical of  routinely and obscenely overpriced cars ....we'd be in much better shape!  Mitch

Mitch, I would bet some of those overpriced Riviera’s have some Bondo plugging something up somewhere and heaven forbid JB Weld ( I’m learning MIG welding) in the wheel covers.??

RedRiviera Bob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I just finished reading a previously classified report that is claimed to be very inaccurate. Stuff I figured was more important than inept air cleaner decal reading. At least Leno broadcast it.

Makes me wonder how much more inaccurate classified stuff is out there.

I'm so bad I check the spelling of people's names to be sure I get it right. Many don't. With a name like Daily the ignorant ones surface quickly.

Even on this Forum, people take what they read literally!

Bernie

Bernie, I would not mail any written correspondence unless I was certain their name was spelled right. Sending business correspondence with the intended recipient’s name spelled wrong would also give the customer reason to ask, “ What else is wrong” in this letter.

Hard writing makes it for easier the reader to understand what your message is. Writing English with good grammar is tedious.

16 minutes ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Bernie, I would not mail any written correspondence unless I was certain their name was spelled right. Sending business correspondence with the intended recipient’s name spelled wrong would also give the customer reason to ask, “ What else is wrong” in this letter.

Hard writing makes it for easier the reader to understand what your message is. Writing English with good grammar is tedious.

...their name... is an example of incorrect subject - verb agreement.. It's either 'their names' or 'his name'.  Gotta get those singular and plurals in agreement. ?

• Like 1

This was somewhat interesting to read. I would just like to add one more thing in regards to wrong and confusing information:

Why didn’t Buick clearly spell out that it was the torque that was ment on the air cleaner? Could it be that the company secretly hoped that it would have been misinterpreted as the horse power?

Certainly Buick does have some responsibility for the confusion. Of course if you look at many other vehicles, often there are confusing numbers that are not so obvious. Like 442 for example. I would think that would be the cubic inch or hp...not 4 barrel carb., 4 speed transmission, and 2 exhaust. But there is marketing behind the scenes I’m sure. Bigger...better...

D9104443-9463-440F-83F5-AA770FCB6044.png

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

...their name... is an example of incorrect subject - verb agreement.. It's either 'their names' or 'his name'.  Gotta get those singular and plurals in agreement. ?

Concur. English grammar is easy for less than one tenth of one percent of those that write the English language. Please know the customers’ names were spelled right in letters that I mailed or carried by hand.( If I have the apostrophe correctly placed is that plural possessive?)??✒️?

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

1 hour ago, KongaMan said:

I deal with people all the time.  The question I ask most frequently in the initial conversation (besides "Do you want fries with that?") is "Can you confirm the spelling of your name?".

Mr. KongaMan, I leave the fries out of the conversation, but I do ask for their business card. It seems to move the line faster then trying to get the name spelled right. 

Red Riviera Bob

6 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Mr. KongaMan, I leave the fries out of the conversation, but I do ask for their business card. It seems to move the line faster then trying to get the name spelled right. 

Red Riviera Bob

If I can interpret Chip's reference to asking his customers "Do you want fries with that?", I'm having to assume that he a Master's Degree in Philosophy.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

If I can interpret Chip's reference to asking his customers "Do you want fries with that?", I'm having to assume that he a Master's Degree in Philosophy.

One more thing to consider remembering the customer’s name and  correctly pronouncing the customer’s name. Consider looking the customer in the eye and pronouncing the name before you shake their hand. Should the customer be an adult female wait until she offers her hand to shake. Please remember to get the business card. At this point in the encounter you can hand over the fries. I learned this in Salesmanship 101. 

Ed, I’m missing your point regarding Mr. KongaMan’s Masters Degree in Philosophy. The most important thing to a person is their name. Fries or not, get the name right.

Red Riviera Bob