29" DeSoto K brake bleeding problem

GaryBudd

I rebuilt the master Cylinder,checked and cleaned wheel cylinders and checked every connection.Still can't get all the air out.I have tried single person method, vacuum pump and had an assistant pumping but I get no resistance at the brake pedal. There are no leaks.Any help would be appreciated. 

10 minutes ago, maok said:

Shoes (or bands) adjusted correctly?

THIS IS IMPORTANT!

As stated, always adjust the brake shoes prior to bleeding. You should hear a VERY slight rubbing on the drum when you turn it.

Always "bench bleed" the master cylinder. They have kits for this process.

Always start the bleeding process at the farthest wheel cylinder from the master cylinder and work your way closer to the next wheel cylinder (with left hand drive cars).

Right rear, left rear, right front and finally, left front.

Always go around the car at least three times using this process. It sometimes takes more.

This probably goes without saying, but be certain when you bleed, you tighten the bleeder as you are holding the pedal down.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, GaryBudd said:

I rebuilt the master Cylinder,checked and cleaned wheel cylinders and checked every connection.Still can't get all the air out.I have tried single person method, vacuum pump and had an assistant pumping but I get no resistance at the brake pedal. There are no leaks.Any help would be appreciated. 

Is the master cyl. located under the floorboard ( I think it is) and if so did you bench bleed the master before you re-installed it? This could be the problem I had found when the master is in line with the cylinders the air has a tendency to create a bubble. 

• Like 1

If you run your fluid draining tube downwards from the brake bleeder nipple, it is very important you lock off the bleeder before you let the pedal up. Otherwise there is a very good chance it will pull air in. I avoid this by running the draining tube UPwards away from the nipple, so once the pressure goes off the fluid in the wheel cylinder any tendency to pull back a little fluid (or air) results in fluid flowing in from the tube. In fact I bleed them on my own, about three pedal strokes then close the nipple and fill the master cylinder.

Remember also, pump the pedal down a bit slowly and let it up similarly or more slowly.

• Like 2

Well once again I got ahead of myself.After reading the responses here I know I have have to go back to the beginning of brakes.Bleed rebuilt MC,adjust brakes and bleed properly.Thank you all so much.Will wait for a warmer day(12 here today) and try again.

• Like 1