65 riviera - color coded brake springs

moran75

Hi All

I'm replacing my brake pads/associated hardware.

Ive attached a pic - not of my car by the way,  but for reference purposes a random pic that very clearly shows the brake shows/coloured brake springs etc on a 65 Riv.

Can i ask the best order to install the coloured springs after attaching the pads? My first attempt failed - i started from the bottom with the brown spring/screw adjuster but found that i then couldn't get any 'give' to position the red rod (top left corner) - didn't get as far as the blues....

All the best

Kev

IMG_3302.jpg

Edited by moran75 (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, moran75 said:

Hi All

I'm replacing my brake pads/associated hardware.

Ive attached a pic - not of my car by the way,  but for reference purposes a random pic that very clearly shows the brake shows/coloured brake springs etc on a 65 Riv.

Can i ask the best order to install the coloured springs after attaching the pads? My first attempt failed - i started from the bottom with the brown spring/screw adjuster but found that i then couldn't get any 'give' to position the red rod (top left corner) - didn't get as far as the blues....

All the best

Kev

No picture. .???

41 minutes ago, RivNut said:

No picture. .???

Added - would have used pic of my car but this one seemed so much clearer as a reference - looks brand new.

However, i now note when i referred to a bottom brown spring i meant the bottom red spring in the pic (mine is brown)..

Cheers

Kev

You have to do the bottom spring and brake adjuster first....best to assemble them with the shoes off the car.

Next hang the shoes on the backing plate and install the round retainers that hold the shoes to the backing plate. Next you need

to install the red brake adjuster rod  from the top of the adjuster to the top center retainer stud. To do this you need to pull out on the bottom of the

brake adjuster then pull down at the bottom which will let the top pivot towards the center so that the brake adjuster rod can reach the center

retainer stud. Lastly use a brake spring installer tool to put the two blue springs on. Make sure you install the shorter brake shoe towards the front of the car

when installing the shoes, make sure you smooth out the backing plate where the brake shoes ride if there are grooves in the plate, and be sure to put some grease on the backing plate where the shoes ride.

I do them in the same order, only I just grab the blue springs with channel locks and pull them over the pin.  If you can't pull them with your arms, put your knee behind your hands and use your leg for power.  If you forget the small spring on the adjusting lever, you can install it after everything else is done.  Note: that small spring is rarely (never?) included in hardware kits.  Don't throw it (or anything else) away unless you're positive that you have a replacement and won't be needing it.

If you have the front wheels apart, take off the backing plate (it's only three bolts) and clean up the area before reassembly.  You'd be surprised at how much old grease and dirt can accumulate on the back of the plate, the spindle, and around the ball joints.  Spoon, scrape, brush, and (if you're anal) brush again with some degreaser.  It's a lot nicer working on clean parts. Don't lose the o-ring between the plate and the spindle.