65 riviera - color coded brake springs

moran75

Hi All

I'm replacing my brake pads/associated hardware.

Ive attached a pic - not of my car by the way,  but for reference purposes a random pic that very clearly shows the brake shows/coloured brake springs etc on a 65 Riv.

Can i ask the best order to install the coloured springs after attaching the pads? My first attempt failed - i started from the bottom with the brown spring/screw adjuster but found that i then couldn't get any 'give' to position the red rod (top left corner) - didn't get as far as the blues....

All the best

Kev

IMG_3302.PNG

The easy way I found to install the brakes is to install the left shoe first by positioning the adjuster arm and then installing the hold down spring, next using your brake tool pull the red adjusting lever over the center arbor, next install the star adjuster spring to the shoe and to the other shoe and slip in the star adjuster then install the hold down spring, next using the brake tool install both return springs and last slide the adjuster return spring under the adjusting arm and into place.  In case you are not familiar with brakes I should mention this. Look at the shoes and you should (not always some have all 4 shoes the same and there is no difference ) see that the lining on one shoe is shorter then the other. What that means is you have a primary and a secondary shoe set. The shoe with the shorter lining is the secondary lining and has to be installed facing the front of the car. The shoe with more lining is the primary shoe and is installed on the rear. Also the star adjusters have a right and left hand thread don't mix them up. When you take the old ones off check which way they unscrew. If you mix them up and get them wrong what will happen is the shoes will automatically un-adjust themselves.  I failed to mention, the star adjuster spring also only goes on one way, when placing that spring make sure you hook it to the shoe with the adjuster arm, from the back side of the shoe otherwise the long neck of the spring will lock the star adjuster in place and it won't adjust.

Edited by retiredmechanic74 (see edit history)

Many thanks..and thanks for the tips.

My kit didn't come with a replacement adjuster return spring, so i'm using the one i've got which looks good. Up until reading your post i hadn't removed it from the adjuster arm when attempting to fit everything, which may have added to my problems - i'm assuming then i should remove it and attach it last ...

One other question re. the star adjuster - would it be a good idea if i wound it all the way in, thus shortening its length, before fitting?

Cheers

Kev

10 minutes ago, moran75 said:

Many thanks..and thanks for the tips.

My kit didn't come with a replacement adjuster return spring, so i'm using the one i've got which looks good. Up until reading your post i hadn't removed it from the adjuster arm when attempting to fit everything, which may have added to my problems - i'm assuming then i should remove it and attach it last ...

One other question re. the star adjuster - would it be a good idea if i wound it all the way in, thus shortening its length, before fitting?

Cheers

Kev

Yes, it would also be good to open the adjuster and lube the threads and remove the tip and lube that also.