Dual exhaust question & navigation help please

Old Man Jimbo

As it has been a while since I have been here things have changed ( or I have ). I have spent the past hour or more going thru pages 1 -9 looking for interesting posts to folder in my gmail folders because I do not see a search topic bar or a tech section ( I'm kinda lost here guys )

My question is ...... If a person ( not necessarily me ) were to remove the cat converter and install duel exhaust what problems would that unlawful person entail other than a warning light ?.

If I get an answer I will tell said person ( not necessarily me ) your answers.

Thank you .

• Haha 1

Hypothetically, if it is on a vehicle like our Reatta with only a single O2 sensor upstream of the catalytic converter, there will be no warning lights of any type. Depending on where this person lives, if he requires an inspection, it will fail the visual test at the least and likely a sniffer test as well. The exhaust will be slightly louder and will smell rich. Dual exhaust will have no bearing on any of the aforementioned.

• Like 1

Having no cat will not set any codes, but will give the exhaust a rich smell. If you are in a state that still requires emission testing on cars this age, it'll probably  fail on the lack of having a converter present, even if the emissions levels are within allowable specs.

If you only get mandated safety inspections (no emissions) then it will probably still fail as most states still require the cat to be present as mandated factory equipment as part of a visual portion of the safety inspection. I know Missouri does this. This does not account for the possibility of a "wink and a nudge" pass from an especially cooperative inspector who'll let it slide.

And for each instance of "you" herein, of course I mean some hypothetical nameless imaginary individual.

Moreover,  I see 2seater beat me to the punch.

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

50 minutes ago, Old Man Jimbo said:

As it has been a while since I have been here things have changed ( or I have ). I have spent the past hour or more going thru pages 1 -9 looking for interesting posts to folder in my gmail folders because I do not see a search topic bar or a tech section ( I'm kinda lost here guys )

Thank you .

The search function (magnifying glass) is in the top right corner of my screen. I have to say, though, that I feel it can sometimes be rather finicky. If you put any character incorrect or enter too many words it will just tell you that it didn't find anything matching your request. The flip side of that coin is if you only enter one word it will bring up everything with that word. With a little practice and patience you can usually find what you want.

Edited by fordrodsteven (see edit history)
  • Like 1

An even fire six with a torque cam like the 3800 can make more power with a single tuned exhaust than duals. Of course the Reatta crossover is so bad that anything will help.

As to inspections that depends of where you are. Florida does not have any.

15 hours ago, KDirk said:

If you only get mandated safety inspections (no emissions) then it will probably still fail as most states still require the cat to be present as mandated factory equipment as part of a visual portion of the safety inspection. I know Missouri does this. This does not account for the possibility of a "wink and a nudge" pass from an especially cooperative inspector who'll let it slide.

Yes, same where I live, exactly.

Thanks for the many well answers . I suppose it's one of those things that reaches back into the good ole days . With this Reatta I am wanting her to breath like she just had a breath of Vicks Vapo Rub and last like I did back in the day without a little blue pill ;).

If I want to lay out a candy cane burnout I'll just fire up my 75 Mach l and risk throwing out my neck and if it's raining or snowing then the Cherokee. If I want to look good , then it's the Reatta . That would be the reason for me to put duels on after cutting that plate out of the exhaust manifold as I have read here.

That all makes sense to me for the stage of my life at this time.

Oh , If I want to feel old , of course I will drive the Pt Cruiser with the banging Moog suspension that I installed . I , as a lot of you , have to many cars !

• Haha 1