1928 Peerless 4D Sedan

Juha Paavo Kaita

Hi,

I believe this is a 1929 Peerless. It was once owner by a vetenarian Bernhard Åström in Helsinki area. I would like to hear your opinion about the make, model and make of year. The original phot is owned by Swedeish Literatur Soociety in Helsinki. In the archive there is quite a few photos of this very same Peerless. Peerless automobiles were imported to Finland by "Laatuvaunu Oy".

Juha Kaitanen

Finland

astromin peerless.jpg

Hello Juha,

I think it is a 1929 Peerless Model Six-81 Sedan costing about $1,595 at the factory. Nice photo of Dr. Aström and his car! The factory serial numbers say 3,626 6-81s may have been built...about 750 of them being made late enough(Sept. 1st, 1929 or later) to be called 1930 models. It has a 248 Cu. In., 66 h.p. Continental engine.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Hi,

Thank you very much for your very detailed reply. I shall forward your answer to the achive so that they can add this information to their files. I enclose some other photos showing different sides of the Peerless. Photos were taken in 1930 as you can see from the register plate - small number 30.

Juha

åströmin peerless 6.jpg

åströmin peerless 3.jpg

åströmin peerless 7.jpg

åströmin peerless 5.jpg

Edited by Juha Paavo Kaita (see edit history)

Excellent photos from the past. The one of someone brewing up tea and the one of the lakeside car wash are interesting. Unusual to have a Peerless with a single sidemount spare tire.

There´s someone who posted a picture of another Peerless in Finland a few years ago on the AACA Peerless Forum, a 1928 Mod. 6-60. Update: Peerless called this body style a Brougham. Oddly enough, an online publication called AUTOFOCUS had a story about large engines and incorrectly listed this Finnish Peerless as a Mod. 60-Six. You may be able to find the article at autofocus.ca(¨Enormous Engines: The world´s biggest motors¨, April 28, 2014). The owner left a message here October 8th, 2008.

¨Brockway¨, and the owner, ¨P6-60¨, from Finland have left messages about the car on the Peerlesss Forum. 8 years ago, the owner had the blue car below for sale. We were able to determine that it has just 30,000 miles and has a Raulang body.

Here is the photo of the 1928 Peerless Mod. 6-60 used in the article: .................................................................................Cost: $1,195 at factory    Engine: 199 Cu. In. 

Straight-6: 13.5L (823 cubic inch) Peerless Model 60-Six

Here is a 1914 Peerless Mod. 60-Six:  ...........................................................................................................................................Cost: about $7,000     Engine: 825 Cu. In./13.5 L

1914 Peerless Model 60 Six Limousine Automobile Factory Photo

photo: autolit.com {factory photo reprint $7.99}

Hi,

Thank you so much for your post. If I remember right there was one 7-passenger Sedan for sale about 10 years ago in Nakkila. I think this car was dark blue in color. Then I think Mr. Rannila in Northern Finland has a Peerless from 1910´s. He has his own private car museum. Mr. Rannila used to own a Russian made Zis convertible which was used by Josef Satlin. The Zis was restored here in Finland and later sold back to Russia/Kreml with very high price.

Juha Kaitanen

Sipoo, Finland

stalinjuttu0111LS_au.jpg

Hi again,

This is the Peerless which I saw for sale in Nakkila.  Year 2007 the car was owned by Mr. Markus Järvi near Helsinki. He sell classic automobiles so he doesn´t own the Peerless any more.

In thaat article they tell among other things that in 1929 there were 60 Peerless automobiles registered in Finland. In 2007 there were only 3 or 4. Our national veteran car club membership directory lists only two Peerless; 1927 and 1928 Phaetom.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/autot/200711016788125_au.shtml

Edited by Juha Paavo Kaita (see edit history)

Juha,

I wrote this yesterday but it got erased then restored by the gods of the infobahn. It also explains why I sent you a PM about Pasi, who has a ´29 Peerless:

Thank you for all the information, Juha. I had never heard of a 7-passenger Peerless 6-81, which the one in Nakkila was. This may be the 1929 Peerless someone wrote in to the Peerless Motor Car Club about in 2008, owned by Vesa Elg....though it´s easy for me to get confused by all the cars & their owners. Excellent photograph of this dark blue car with wire wheels in your link!

I recognize the man in the 3rd photo of Post #3 leaning next to the car. 10 years ago I found a photo online of some people out in the country, and he was posing with a bicycle, standing next to a Peerless sedan. Seems to have been from the Swedish Literary Society archives, also.

Have you heard of Pasi Pihlajamaki? He lives in Tampere and is working on a 1929 Peerless 6-81 Cabriolet. Pasi has a coupe, called a ¨Cabriolet¨ that year by Peerless, that came from Texas and needs a lot of parts.

I had not heard of Mr. Rannila in northern Finland with the 1910s Peerless. Nice that he got a good price for the Zis. Looks like it may be the old butcher himself in the back of the Zis(1940s Head Of Government from the USSR). I may not know about the 1927 and 1928 you mention above. Is the 1928 Phaeton the blue car with the landau irons I posted a photo of in Post #4(looks like the top goes down, but it doesn´t)?

Edited by jeff_a
re-arranged to make more sense (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a March, 1928 Peerless Co-Operator company newsletter for sale on ebay calling the car with the fitted trunk and landau irons on Post #4 the 1928 Six-60 Brougham. They were reporting brisk sales and the lowest price ever for a closed Peerless at $1,195. Only 4 pages, about $30 by paperheaven/Troxel´s sellers.

There were also listings of some old & new Peerless dealers, like Priaulx Motor Co. in Cambridge, Ohio(I used to live thereabouts), and Fisk Motor Co. in Superior, WI, right across from Duluth, MN.

One puzzling account was a customer who wrote of all the success he had with three Peerless cars, his first going 65,000 miles before trade-in; the second, an ¨Eight-51¨, going 110,000 miles; and the third, an 8-69; mostly for his work as a Standard Oil road man and warehouse manager. I´ve never heard of an Eight-51 -- maybe it´s a typo when 8-67, 66, or 56 was meant. I did once see a reference to a Model 6-95 and thought it was an error........later finding in an obscure article that the 6-91 was briefly called a 6-95 when it passed into the 1929 model year.