Seat covers - 1990

Likecars

Unless you find a 1990 select 60 being parted (unlikely) or one of the handful of 1991 convertibles that had white seats by special order being dismantled (even more unlikely) your only option is to have an upholsterer repair or remake seat covers. White was the least common interior color, so finding replacement parts from a donor car will be next to impossible.

Now, if you are looking for aftermarket seat covers (not original upholstery) there are probably sources for that, but will not be OEM quality or appearance. I've seen aftermarket  seat cover sets offered on ebay, but have no idea how good they are. 

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

I always worried about the other white panels.......you could spray a door or rear panel white but would the color match.   If I had to do that, probably start with a grey part because that would be the lightest factory color to use.

Having the seats redone is possible, I know a fellow in PA that had his done and they looked great......no I don't know where he had them made.

I've done two cars like this. Both started out with blue door panels and rear panels. Seats and headliner were reupholstered, and the other panels were dyed. If you use the correct dye (about $180 a gallon), it will cover well. a set of reupholstered white seats will run you $1100-1500 depending on your upholstery guy. 

FB_IMG_1517351189948.jpg

FB_IMG_1517351181781.jpg

FB_IMG_1517351198582.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NCReatta said:

I've done two cars like this. Both started out with blue door panels and rear panels. Seats and headliner were reupholstered, and the other panels were dyed. If you use the correct dye (about $180 a gallon), it will cover well. a set of reupholstered white seats will run you $1100-1500 depending on your upholstery guy. 

FB_IMG_1517351189948.jpg

FB_IMG_1517351181781.jpg

FB_IMG_1517351198582.jpg

So how does this dye work exactly, do you paint it on or spray, Because that looks really nice.

Did you do the dying process or your upholstery guy?

Thanks!

Marck, are you using a DuPont flexible auto interior coloring? That's what I've used in the past with good results, but am wondering if there is something better. Also do you have an upholsterer who is setup to do your seat covers from a pattern, or is each set a "one off"? I guess my real queation is what is your lead time on a set? Curious for future needs, as I'd like to do a fresh set on my early 88 (burgundy with suede) someday.

I've considered a custom white and burgundy interior combo, but don't think it'll stay clean enough without a ton of effort (much like the white select 60 wheels).

2 minutes ago, KDirk said:

Marck, are you using a DuPont flexible auto interior coloring? That's what I've used in the past with good results, but am wondering if there is something better. Also do you have an upholsterer who is setup to do your seat covers from a pattern, or is each set a "one off"? I guess my real queation is what is your lead time on a set? Curious for future needs, as I'd like to do a fresh set on my early 88 (burgundy with suede) someday.

I've considered a custom white and burgundy interior combo, but don't think it'll stay clean enough without a ton of effort (much like the white select 60 wheels).

I use SEM color coat. They guys at the local auto  paint supply store suggested it over the DuPont product because it dries easier, coats better, and has a better flex agent in it.    My upholsterer just did them one off for me. After he did the second set he said he'd only do another set if he had no other projects going on. They are very time consuming to do because of all the stitching involved. Plus material cost.