Sunbeam Tiger

I'm looking at a 1966 Sunbeam Tiger. There seems to be a question on the tags. Both the VIN and JAL tag are present and the VIN corresponds with the information I have been able to find for a Tiger. I have not been able to trace the JAL number (JAL is the Jensen body number assigned to Tigers). I contacted one database source and sent pictures and the response was which the tags were "homemade" and (he) could not "get excited" about the car. He flatly stated it is not a "factory" car. This seemed strange since tags are often lost and can be sourced with the right documentation. The tags look correct compared to other Tigers. I'm not sure I can trust the response so I am reaching out to my fellow ACA members for help.  The physical characteristics of the car I have checked show no evidence that it is a clone or copy. Any help is appreciated.  I can supply pictures of the tags if requested.

Thanks.

I have been there and it just confuses me more. It is listed on the registry list dated Feb 2011 in MI ( No TAC)  which the cars documents concur but it was Mr. Miller who dismissed the car as non-factory. I do plan to dive in and get the engine, transmission and differential numbers but am not sure if I can find a source to reference. I also plan to look at the grease points.  I know that sounds strange but the Tiger and Alpine differ greatly with the number and locations. 

I attempted to see if I could get the car authenticated by the Tiger (TAC) but they primarily operate on the west coast.  There is only one senior inspector on the east and he is several hundred miles way. FYI - they require 3 inspectors to concur so it is impossible to have this done. I am holding off purchasing the car until I can be absolutely sure it is genuine.  They have had a lot of clones recently as the prices go up that are being passed off.

THX

Larry

Connecticut

4 hours ago, CT Car Guy said:

Thanks.

I have been there and it just confuses me more. It is listed on the registry list dated Feb 2011 in MI ( No TAC)  which the cars documents concur but it was Mr. Miller who dismissed the car as non-factory. I do plan to dive in and get the engine, transmission and differential numbers but am not sure if I can find a source to reference. I also plan to look at the grease points.  I know that sounds strange but the Tiger and Alpine differ greatly with the number and locations. 

I attempted to see if I could get the car authenticated by the Tiger (TAC) but they primarily operate on the west coast.  There is only one senior inspector on the east and he is several hundred miles way. FYI - they require 3 inspectors to concur so it is impossible to have this done. I am holding off purchasing the car until I can be absolutely sure it is genuine.  They have had a lot of clones recently as the prices go up that are being passed off.

THX

Larry

Connecticut

Can i suggest you approach someone in the Sunbeam Alpine Owners Club of America (SAOCA) via their forum or Tigers East Alpines East (TEAE) is another authoritive  organisation.

I can verify that the procedure for authenticating a Tiger is very rigid and time consuming, sadly the market brought it on itself.

• 5 weeks later...