65' Wiring Questions

DerekC

I have some ques tions regarding a few loose wires in my engine bay.

1) In the first image there is an extra cable running out of the positive battery cable

2) Second image there is a loose ground wire connected to the voltage regulator. (I am having to unplug the battery so it doesn't die. AMP light is also on (Related?))

3) In the wiring harness there is a loose plug.

I appreciate the help, Derek

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0644.jpg

Ill go for 1 & 3

1 - I'd say that the cable is just what was on the shelf.  Unless you want to power some accessory, like a big subwoofer, just cut it off. THEN turn your battery around so the POS terminal is next to the radiator.  Horror stories abound about the POS terminal contacting the hood - runs a current through the whole car and wipes out the wring harness.

3 - That wire looks like the wire for a cruise control.  The factory only installed one harness. If your car doesn't have cruise control, just let it hang there. It will look like all other cars that don't have cruise.  

I'll look at a wiring diagram later and see what I can find out about the wire on the regulator.  Perhaps a resistor? 

??? about the battery running down.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Originally the ground cable had a small wire just like your positive cable. When someone changed the ground cable to what you have now they cut off the small wire from the original ground cable. The wire on the mounting bolt for your regulator is the small wire which was originally on your ground cable which someone cut off. This dedicated ground is important for regulator function as a back up if the fasteners which mount the regulator do not suffice. The regulator must have ground to function so this may certainly be your problem....or not.

Tom Mooney

Tom......were the original battery cables spring ring or clamp type on a 65? When I bought my car it had the original battery cables

but a previous owner had put after market clamp type ends on them. I have repro cables on the car now of the correct color and gauge but they

are not spring ring. Jut wondering what is correct.

1 hour ago, Seafoam65 said:

Tom......were the original battery cables spring ring or clamp type on a 65? When I bought my car it had the original battery cables

but a previous owner had put after market clamp type ends on them. I have repro cables on the car now of the correct color and gauge but they

are not spring ring. Jut wondering what is correct.

Winston,

The correct original cables are the clamp type

Tom