56 Buick engine oil leak?

56 Buick

Hi all

I am hoping someone with more knowledge than me is able to help regarding what appears to be an engine oil leak.  Attached is a photo of the area where oil is accumulating.  I am looking at buying the car and I am hoping someone may be able to identify a common leak and the cost in fixing it? 

Thanks

Drew

oil leak.jpg

Rear engine seal is leaking. Quite common problem. Fixes range from replacing the seal, which requires removing the engine, to parking it over a piece of cardboard in the garage, and a bunch of things in between. some. I'll let everyone else tell you their approach. Some work. Some don't. And some do sometimes...........Bob

IF it is the rear main seal, it can be replaced/repaired without removing the engine!  old-tank, on this forum, has a fix documented on his web site. Check it out.

Without more pictures, difficult to say where it is coming from, but my wag is a valve cover gasket leaking. Easy and cheap if so.  But as Bob says, one can live with it. Cars of that time frame leaked/seeped oil. If that is the only problem ,would not be a deal breaker for me.

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the heads have been off, then it could be seepage at the port delivering oil to the rocker arms. This is identified as a very slow leak generally coating the engine block from the front to the back with excess coming off the bottom of the oil pan on the drivers side. It is a rear side leak on the passengers side. The engine would have to be cleaned to get a fix on where the leak is on this car.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all. There does appear to be some leakage from an oil line plug located near the rear drivers side of the block.  Not sure what that line/plug is for. And there well could be other sources of leaking. I think I will have to take the chance and clean it all up after purchase and review.

• Like 1

As long is it doesn't leak a quart of oil every 130 miles, you should be fine. Whenever I drive to and from school, I always buy 3 quarts of oil - one leaving home, one at mid-way fuel up and one on arrival... if you go 500 miles without leaking a quart, don't sweat it.