4-note horns - big horn, small hole?

65VerdeGS

On my '65, there's a small hole in the top of the large trumpet horn, closest to its top edge:

image.png.cdcc4e19168fed30ce5e0b39d5387a6e.pngI

At first I thought perhaps someone had drilled this hole, for reasons unknown, before I owned the car.

But, I've seen exactly the same hole, of the same dimensions, and location, in the large horn of other Rivieras with the 4-note horn option.  However, I've also seen large horns that didn't have this hole.

Does anyone know if some large horns came pre-drilled with this small hole from the factory?  What's the purpose of the hole?   Could it be to install a bolt and ground wire?  But, I see zero evidence of anything ever having been bolted to the large horn on my car.

Anyone care to shine light on this mystery?

Hi Alex,

This observation has suraced before and if I recall correctly someone posted that the hole was intended by the original supplier/manufacturer to suspend the horn for painting...dont know if I am buying that.

I have seen similar holes on exterior truck fender mirrors to act as a water drain to prevent water from collecting at the metal base of the mirror to prevent the mirror housing from rusting out. And they WILL rust out if the drain hole is not positioned correctly to drain water.

The edge of the horn has a rearward rolled edge which WILL collect water/road salt and rust out. I have horns with the lower edge completely rusted away from trapping water/debris.

My theory is that the original intention of the hole was to act as a water drain but in the manufacturing process the mounting bracket was incorrectly weld to the horn which positioned the drain hole 180 degrees from its intended position. I know it`s a stretch but thats my theory and I`m sticking to it! LOL..

Tom

Great theory Tom!  Makes sense to me!

I was always puzzled by that little hole in the large horn.  I guess the manufacturer didn't feel it was needed on the small horn because its shape wouldn't retain water, or because it's positioned farther back in the engine compartment where residual heat would dry out any moisture?  I guess we'll never know for sure.  But is interesting to theorize about it.

Cheers,

3 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Great theory Tom!  Makes sense to me!

I was always puzzled by that little hole in the large horn.  I guess the manufacturer didn't feel it was needed on the small horn because its shape wouldn't retain water, or because it's positioned farther back in the engine compartment where residual heat would dry out any moisture?  I guess we'll never know for sure.  But is interesting to theorize about it.

Cheers,

The small horn does not have the rolled edge, no where for water/dirt to collect

Tom

Not trying to hi-jack the post, but does anyone have a source for rebuilding the 4 note horns?  I have a customer who has them and the small one, does not work.  I have taken it apart and cleaned the contacts, checked everything, etc and still does not work.  When testing the coil inside, I am not getting continuity through it.  No obvious breaks, but no juice. Any info/ideas are appreciated.

1 hour ago, DualQuadDave said:

Not trying to hi-jack the post, but does anyone have a source for rebuilding the 4 note horns?  I have a customer who has them and the small one, does not work.  I have taken it apart and cleaned the contacts, checked everything, etc and still does not work.  When testing the coil inside, I am not getting continuity through it.  No obvious breaks, but no juice. Any info/ideas are appreciated.

I'm not sure this will answer your questions but here is a pretty informative site on repairing the horns ...

TRUMPET HORN REPAIR

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DualQuadDave said:

Steve Lorenzen does them. I purchased a refurbished set from him last year. He advertises in the Riview. His e-mail is fostermom1962@yahoo.com.  Steve is a good guy and charges fair prices on his work and/or parts.

Bill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DualQuadDave said:

Lol, I know Steve, he does all my window motors for me. I should have thought to ask him. Super cool guy, we always have great talks about Riv parts. Thank you, Bill!  

Take a look at post #385 on the thread "Rivieras on local Craigslist".  The pictures and accompanying link are for Steve.  In one picture you can see quite a few sets of four-note horns on the shelf.