1991 White Coupe, 35K,

Eclectic1

I spoke to the seller about a week ago. What he doesn't tell you in the ad is that the paint is shot. Peeling in several places and badly checked. Also the engine has a knock in it. Possibly just a harmonic balancer, but who knows. The inteiror is pretty good except for the faded carpets and the passenger seat being pretty dried up. And "all documentation" doesn't include a portfolio, window sticker or anything like that. 

The Carfax checks out though. Miles seem to be true. But this is one of the roughest 35,000 mile cars I've seen in a long time. 

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, NCReatta said:

the paint is shot. Peeling in several places and badly checked.

the engine has a knock in it

faded carpets and the passenger seat being pretty dried up

And "all documentation" doesn't include a portfolio, window sticker or anything like that. 

Somebody- please tell him the definition of "MINT" :o:lol::wacko:

Thought I heard my name invoked from a great distance...yeah, I'm going to have to pass. Just no way I can take on another hard luck case, as I'm still struggling to get my 91 'vert back in proper shape, and have much yet to do to my early 88 (including full repaint). Lack of time and extra funds has the latter on long term hold, but will get done eventually. I also have an 88 to dismantle yet and no time to do so for the foreseeable future.

Problem with the car in question is paint. Will need the peeling sections stripped to bare metal then fully repainted. This is a LOT of labor and probably a $3000 paint job (had to do this to my 91 coupe); more than the price of the car in total. The engine is another issue of unknown extent, may be an expensive repair or maybe not.

Even if I had room for it, it doesn't pencil out when a really clean one with maybe 50,000 miles could be had for $5000 or so and not need thousands of dollars of work right out of the gate. I've done my duty on preservation (saved at least two from the crusher I figure) so someone else needs to step up here. And honestly, if I ever buy another it's going to be claret red or polo green. I have a lifetime supply of white cars already.

• Haha 1

I too was all excited about the car until I learned what this guy's definition of "mint" was. I had already gotten a price on shipping before I even called the guy. If it was indeed mint I would've bought it right then and there. But like Kevin said, by the time you put a $3000 (minium) paint job on it, another $1000(?) In the motor, and do the other routine things every Reatta needs, you quickly have $10k in a car that's worth about $10k. For me, doesn't make sense. For someone who wants to keep it and drive it, maybe it will. My garage is a tad full right now though 

IMG_20180103_155203.jpg

PANO_20180103_155340.jpg

• Like 3

I do like my white cars, so I don't mean to disparage them. It's just coincidental I ended up with so many in the same color (they were for sale at the right price and the right time). That said, any future additions need to add some variety.

And Marck, people tell me I have an unhealthy obsession...

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Retired w/Reatta said:

Dave you don't have a 1991, yet.

That is true. However in the years to come, the only two Reattas I own that I can be sure will get year round protection from the elements will be the 'vert and the Pewter model on my desk. The Red now sits outside in the summertime [under a car cover when not driven] as I have a two car [extra deep garage] that is for my wife and the 'vert. I still have "the widow Schneider's" garage for year round storage of one car [the Black in the summer and the Red in the winter], but she is 82 now so time could be short. When that happens the Black will be put down and stripped of parts and then out to Gibson's. I will then drive the Red year round and my parking problem will be better.

I'm cheap that way as I don't pay for storage. And don't feel sorry for the Red, I don't. Of all the cars I have owned over the years I enjoy this car the most and miss not driving it everyday. So yes it will be driven 12 months a year when the time comes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Imperial62 said:

Why would a 35,000 car need a new harmonic balancer? 

The rubber that holds the two pieces of the balancer together probably deteriorates with age regardless of miles on the car. When that rubber cracks and comes loose the parts can touch each other causing the knocking sound,

• Like 2

Below is a video that I have been planning to add to ROJ and just haven't got around to doing it. It shows the problem with the balancer and and how to test to see if the balancer is the making the noise by removing the belt as Padgett suggested earlier. If the seller of the car has any mechanical skills at all he should be able to follow the instructions in the video. If he tells you he doesn't want to do that you should walk away.