Position of mirror remote control on ‘63

rodneybeauchamp

Hi all,

have got one of my remote mirrors ready to install to replace the fixed mirrors on my ‘63 Riviera.

Can some one provide some measurements that determine where the oval control fits on the door trim. Or is this already fixed by mounting holes etc.

Any help and pictures would be good.

thanks Rodney ????

4265CE26-09C4-4AFA-A393-8F2F1093DF20.jpeg

You all realize that any passenger side remote mirror is not a factory option. 

If you're considering installing a passenger side remote mirror, you might want to look for a late 70's / early 80's passenger remote from a GM product.  Those mirrors are equipped with a remote cable that is long enough to run behind the dash to a place near the driver's side of the car where it can be adjusted.  The cables are interchangable.

s-l225.jpg.7168e1b175a1d82ccba721260c1774b4.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

many thanks for the pics, especially on the RHS. I should be able to get it pretty exact now, much appreciated.

And Ed, 

I did realize it is not an option on RHS for the remote, but I’m ok with it. The remotes are easier to adjust for the passenger and IMHO look much much better than the fixed version currently fitted. It’s a wonder they didn’t fiddle the internals of the remote to produce a matching RHS mirror, without a cable. (Might do that myself) I had thought about using a longer cable set but how often do you want to play with them? 

Have calculated that the wind cheating aerodynamics of a remote mirror versus the fixed version should give  .000354 mpg better and probably .0007865 mph better top speed, even taking into account the additional weight ?

Could tell you a long tale about my search for the ever elusive ‘64 Buick remote mirror that I finally found and pulled from a Buick Special in  Missoula in 1999! Big adventure. ?????

Rodney

Rodney, et al.

I have a 1963 BUICK Engineer Approved ACCESSORIES brochure which shows the remote control mirror as a dealer installed option.  $12.00 plus installation. The body of the text says "Fits both sides of all model Buicks."   What's more interesting is that a  rear view mirror is also listed as a dealer installed option.  It also fits both sides of all models.  This tells me that a base car was delivered from the factory with no outside mirror.  You either had to order one or the other or have the dealer install one or the other.  Hard to imagine driving a car without a rear view mirror on the driver's door.  

So in your quest to find that elusive remote control rear view mirror, don't limit yourself to just looking for one from a Riviera.  They appear to be the same for all models.

Ed

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Rodney, et al.

I have a 1963 BUICK Engineer Approved ACCESSORIES brochure which shows the remote control mirror as a dealer installed option.  $12.00 plus installation. The body of the text says "Fits both sides of all model Buicks."   What's more interesting is that a  rear view mirror is also listed as a dealer installed option.  It also fits both sides of all models.  This tells me that a base car was delivered from the factory with no outside mirror.  You either had to order one or the other or have the dealer install one or the other.  Hard to imagine driving a car without a rear view mirror on the driver's door.  

So in your quest to find that elusive remote control rear view mirror, don't limit yourself to just looking for one from a Riviera.  They appear to be the same for all models.

Ed

No outside mirror was standard. The remote controlled drivers rearview mirror was available factory installed as an option but not the manual mirror. The remote controlled outside mirror and the manual mirror was available as a dealer installed accessory.

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)
  • Like 1

For anyone thinking about installing a passenger side mirror, I'd mention one caveat: don't put it in the same position as the driver's mirror without first checking the sight lines.  If you do so, you may find the your view of the mirror is obstructed by the vent pillar, or that you can't adjust it to get the view that you want.  Make sure you can see what you want to see before you drill those holes in your door skin.

10 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

No outside mirror was standard. The remote controlled drivers rearview mirror was available factory installed as an option but not the manual mirror. The remote controlled outside mirror and the manual mirror was available as a dealer installed accessory.

Tom

I agree with Tom, and this has been brought up before, concerning the '65 anyway.

The 1 of 454 LX '65 I have has NO outside mirror, and appears to never have had one.

P1000479.thumb.JPG.42c91e4ecb52000b18bb1f946dbef31c.JPG P1000485.thumb.JPG.370dc6eb5c9635e323664e36d823abd7.JPG

I don't mean to hijack the thread, I just wanted to post there are some out there with no outside mirror.

Edited by Rivman (see edit history)

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:22 PM, KongaMan said:

For anyone thinking about installing a passenger side mirror, I'd mention one caveat: don't put it in the same position as the driver's mirror without first checking the sight lines.  If you do so, you may find the your view of the mirror is obstructed by the vent pillar, or that you can't adjust it to get the view that you want.  Make sure you can see what you want to see before you drill those holes in your door skin.

Very good point. The mirrors were already in place on my car and not in a good location. The drivers side was useable but marginal and needed more than a quick glance. The passenger side looked good on the outside but was totally useless from inside the car unless it was the passenger using it! Making it worse was the fact that the mirror used plain glass with no magnification like newer cars.

On 26/01/2018 at 6:27 AM, telriv said:

Don't forget about the mirror support added to the skin to support the added weight of the mirror. Installing only sheet metal screws into the skin will NOT hold up for too long.

Tom,

is that the small bracket that the Allen head screw goes into to secure the head and body together. Or is there another bracket that I may not have. Any pictures?

thanks

Rodney ????