Rear Turn Signal- Color Preference?

89RedDarkGrey

I think installing turn signals on the side of the front fenders like modern cars have is a great idea, and of course- LED. There are many brands and shape/types to choose from- this is what I'm thinking about, to put on my Reatta-

5a66c5b45c394_AMBERLEDMARKER_.thumb.jpg.f4631ddd6a878924e3fce19117a14b9d.jpg          5a66e6cf46fb1_R-FENDERANDTURN-LIGHT-DRAFT-001.thumb.JPG.e3d99e647813ca03d3f5186f2b1e7bc3.JPG

As for the rear- years ago, when I was restoring my tail light module-

5a66c6bda9f28_3piecetail.thumb.JPG.75a4f1331a845b0c209aaa3379fab759.JPG 

I seriously thought about removing a portion of the red lens, and splice in amber sections, 1 for each side (you can buy them online now, as "fog light covers")                                                                                                                                                                                                    

AMBER-PLASTIC.thumb.jpg.65b03ccd1c05a10f74c0d5efb1048fda.jpg     5a66cdf430c78_AMBERTURNING.thumb.JPG.0714df771e9c744b81369133f97d4eca.JPG    maybe 1 bulb each, before the outer 194 marker bulb?

Run the turn signal wires- and viola. I just really miss amber turn signals in the rear, and they're much more visible, too. 1 amber blinking LED bulb would be plenty to get attention, or just use an OEM 1156 bulb. So- when the brake is applied- you'd still have the normal amount of red, but you'd be minus 2 "tail" lights, near the edges.

Your comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by 89RedDarkGrey
added fender (see edit history)

I think one of the things that make the Reatta is the taillight. I would never change it, but what I have added and I believe it really improves visability is the sequential directional/brake light. When I use the brakes everyone notices, that's what stands out.

• Like 4

I would have a hard time cutting up the taillight but there are possibilities on the inside to perhaps add some amber? I have found the sequential lights Dave has are very effective although I would like to expand them by two for four on each side. Maybe an amber substituted for the suggested fourth bulb but without the taillight function, just the brake/flash. I know European cars have what are termed rear fog lights, usually down low.

4 hours ago, 2seater said:

I would have a hard time cutting up the taillight but there are possibilities on the inside to perhaps add some amber?

That's exactly what I'm talking about. The module is 3 separate pieces- reflector, color/diffuser, clear lens. What I'm proposing- is to cut out 1 bulb's worth of the red plastic, and splice in amber. You would need to be up close with a flashlight to see it unless it is lit from behind. It would be cosmetically invisible.

I'm not much for the idea of modding the taillamp, as it is a focal point of the car, almost a trademark. I also am not so big on modding the front fenders as it means making holes for wiring and mounting. I have considered that if wanting to add a side mounted marker lamp, to take a cue from the BMW Z4 and use a Reatta hood emblem sandwiched over a 1/4" thick piece of machined lexan internally lit by an amber bulb. I think that would be pretty sharp, but would add more badging which clutters the the generally clean appearance of the exterior. I prefer the fairly minimalist stock appearance where badging and other baubles are concerned.

One thing I have given thought to is modifying the mirrors to have amber strips on the back of the housings as many cars now have so both oncoming and following traffic will see it the turn signals up higher on the nirror housings. This could be done with leds and look really good with proper effort (i.e. not some Chinese made stick on crap from ebay). I've not done it yet for lack of time, and who knows if I ever will since my list of projects never shrinks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gentlemen-

Thank you for all the feedback. Unfortunately- it has all been predictively negative. If it's not a mainstream modification- people usually steer away from doing it; if it becomes popular, then many will do it- and is it then still a "mod" or is it just an "upgrade"? I have been still going over this in my head, and you guys are right about "modding the taillamp", and in doing so I'd probably break it now anyway; when I first disassembled it- the old dried out Butyl came off easy. When I was done cleaning & restoring- I epoxied it together pretty well.

So- it got me thinking- how to "improve" the tail lamp module to my taste? If I were to only use the 2 outer sockets as I earlier proposed, just by simply using 1157 amber led, It would be an intensely brighter "reddish orange" (because of the red plastic) like I prefer a turn signal to be. IMO there should be a huge difference between STOP and TURN signals.

At the same time- I don't want to lose 2 brake light segments, So- I can "add" 1 brake light segment to each side- by splicing the segment next to the B and K segments to function as brake and tail lights, not just tails- as they normally do. By doing these 2 simple mods- I get the more visible turn signals I want- and still retain 3 stop segments on each side. The only visible difference (in the dark with parking lights on) will be the 2 dark outer segments. The corner "Markers" will still be the 194 bulbs showing red.

3 hours ago, KDirk said:

One thing I have given thought to is modifying the mirrors to have amber strips on the back of the housings as many cars now have so both oncoming and following traffic will see it the turn signals up higher on the nirror housings

Amber lights on the mirrors are nearly the same idea as fender indicators; anything to make your maneuvering intentions more obvious to other drivers is a plus.

Here are some photos I took of my own '89 Reatta to use as graphical models of my idea. It will be implemented ASAP.

Thank you for your time to read this.

5a6841abf1711_OEMTAIL01.thumb.JPG.7d2ed59c187029963becb99c2c4cc521.JPG5a6858fc51c98_OEMBRAKEANDTAIL.thumb.JPG.a81740c3445207fcde85a9c52577a29c.JPG5a685a5f27cd3_OEMBRAKEANDTAIL02.thumb.JPG.988cb54c19863a79f8fc89ceae2281a9.JPG

5a6858d8355fa_NEWTAIL01.thumb.JPG.349c11dbbd6d5041550ec77f29013b8b.JPG5a6859147f9d9_BRAKEANDTAIL-CAMFLASH_OFF-NEWTURNANDSTOP.thumb.JPG.f35b2f1208bab231362faa9d441fe434.JPG5a685972575c1_NEWBRAKEnTAILTURNLnR.gif.c549825f7e5e193c9595f274715c7f83.gif

2 hours ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Gentlemen-

Thank you for all the feedback. Unfortunately- it has all been predictively negative. If it's not a mainstream modification- people usually steer away from doing it; if it becomes popular, then many will do it- and is it then still a "mod" or is it just an "upgrade"? I have been still going over this in my head, and you guys are right about "modding the taillamp", and in doing so I'd probably break it now anyway; when I first disassembled it- the old dried out Butyl came off easy. When I was done cleaning & restoring- I epoxied it together pretty well.

So- it got me thinking- how to "improve" the tail lamp module to my taste? If I were to only use the 2 outer sockets as I earlier proposed, just by simply using 1157 amber led, It would be an intensely brighter "reddish orange" (because of the red plastic) like I prefer a turn signal to be. IMO there should be a huge difference between STOP and TURN signals.

At the same time- I don't want to lose 2 brake light segments, So- I can "add" 1 brake light segment to each side- by splicing the segment next to the B and K segments to function as brake and tail lights, not just tails- as they normally do. By doing these 2 simple mods- I get the more visible turn signals I want- and still retain 3 stop segments on each side. The only visible difference (in the dark with parking lights on) will be the 2 dark outer segments. The corner "Markers" will still be the 194 bulbs showing red.

Amber lights on the mirrors are nearly the same idea as fender indicators; anything to make your maneuvering intentions more obvious to other drivers is a plus.

Here are some photos I took of my own '89 Reatta to use as graphical models of my idea. It will be implemented ASAP.

Thank you for your time to read this.

5a6841abf1711_OEMTAIL01.thumb.JPG.7d2ed59c187029963becb99c2c4cc521.JPG5a6858fc51c98_OEMBRAKEANDTAIL.thumb.JPG.a81740c3445207fcde85a9c52577a29c.JPG5a685a5f27cd3_OEMBRAKEANDTAIL02.thumb.JPG.988cb54c19863a79f8fc89ceae2281a9.JPG

5a6858d8355fa_NEWTAIL01.thumb.JPG.349c11dbbd6d5041550ec77f29013b8b.JPG5a6859147f9d9_BRAKEANDTAIL-CAMFLASH_OFF-NEWTURNANDSTOP.thumb.JPG.f35b2f1208bab231362faa9d441fe434.JPG5a685972575c1_NEWBRAKEnTAILTURNLnR.gif.c549825f7e5e193c9595f274715c7f83.gif

I appreciate what is trying to be illustrated but I am not totally onboard, yet. IMHO, if amber is to be used as a turn indicator, some wiring modification would need to be done. I have found the sequential turn signal to be quite effective. The added movement tends to catch the eye and I would like to see a fourth segment be added to the sequence. Perhaps an amber bulb behind the rear lens could lead off the sequence? Are there bi-color led's available? I am not fond on the amber near the outer corner.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I don't mean to be critical of what you do with your car, we all have different tastes, but I don't care for the missing light on the corner of the taillight even if it does flash when the turn signal is on. I think it distracts from it's natural flow of the taillight across the back of the car.

89RedDarkGrey,

It has been brought to my attention by a fellow forum member that my posts in this thread to you may have sounded offensive. I apologize. That was not my intention. I have removed my posts.

• Like 1

Ronnie raises a valid point regarding mods to exterior lighting, specifically  what is street legal in your jurisdiction. I have seen a multitude of cars here with mods that clearly aren't legal (green and blue side markers, blacked out tail lamps, etc.) Knowing some mechanics who do state inspections here, I hear about how they fail cars with this stuff routinely, and with a certain amount of relish. Be careful of doing this stuff if you are in a state with tough standards on safety inspection  (or areas with cops who like to nick drivers who have cars that stand out in certain ways).  I always advise against putting a target on your back and in these days of police as revenue enhancement agents, all the more so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

89RedDarkGrey,

It has been brought to my attention by a fellow forum member that my posts in this thread to you may have sounded offensive. I apologize. That was not my intention. I have removed my posts.

:blink: Hey, I asked for everyone's opinion- and you gave yours. We're all grownups here. Yea- some of us are scruffy, rough around the edges- so what. If we were cars- most of us would barely pass inspection- enough to be a beater or daily driver:lol:

Forget about it.

Lots to talk about here.

My taillights have all been changed to LED's. It was a lengthy process experimenting with different bulbs to achieve the correct effect which was to stand out brighter when the brake is applied. First of all I installed a couple adjustable timing relays to the high stoplight bulbs. When the brake is applied the left bulb lights for a half second then it goes out and the right bulb lights for a half second then they both stay on. Similar to Ronnie's setup (which looks easier). Anything that flashes catches your eye. All the main 1157 bulbs are dual level LED's. They are red colored LED's because white is too washed out by the red lens. The taillight circuit needed a resistor to tone them down. When the brake is applied full voltage goes to both the tail and stop circuits and the result is bright enough to possibly be annoying.

26 minutes ago, DS_Porter 89 Burgandy said:

Lots to talk about here.

My taillights have all been changed to LED's. It was a lengthy process experimenting with different bulbs to achieve the correct effect which was to stand out brighter when the brake is applied. First of all I installed a couple adjustable timing relays to the high stoplight bulbs. When the brake is applied the left bulb lights for a half second then it goes out and the right bulb lights for a half second then they both stay on. Similar to Ronnie's setup (which looks easier). Anything that flashes catches your eye. All the main 1157 bulbs are dual level LED's. They are red colored LED's because white is too washed out by the red lens. The taillight circuit needed a resistor to tone them down. When the brake is applied full voltage goes to both the tail and stop circuits and the result is bright enough to possibly be annoying.

Excellent information, thank you!

Well, then- this is all good news; I was going to get white, but it's good to know about the washout effect. I don't want a dreadful PINK taillight:o  As for any worries of "bulb out" dash indicators or not flashing properly- I'm pretty sure (I'll definitely know when I buy them) these will work fine. THESE appear to be the "top of the line" type now; integrated smart chip, heat sinks, construction, etc. And- THESE for the corners.

THESE and THESE can be for the front.

Maybe- THESE could be featured in the Reatta Store? Here is a diagram of them, next to a lineup of incandescent. The length has always been an issue- so as not to damage the amber globe.

51d6zqot-GL__SL1000_.thumb.jpg.6ed86f4e68e2ccfb8a0cfa0f29f9698d.jpg890_turn_signal_bulbs-fit-550x429.jpg.dbcd4db8e83504ef4c8460eadaaf9c1c.jpg

(0.47244" x 1.488186" x 2.531491")

DS_Porter 89 Burgandy-

Would you mind divulging what type/brands you've had success with, and what do you think of my choice? If you click on the product- you'll see a more detailed description.      Thanks!

Edited by 89RedDarkGrey (see edit history)

I know the led sites I have looked at all recommend the same color bulb as the original lens color. the wavelength should enhance and not change the original color. I don't think we could make ours too bright, just look at the Chrysler products as used on local police cars, Full circle and very bright leds.

1 hour ago, DS_Porter 89 Burgandy said:

Lots to talk about here.

Would you happen to have a picture of your new setup

Thanks

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

DS_Porter 89 Burgandy-

Would you mind divulging what type/brands you've had success with, and what do you think of my choice? If you click on the product- you'll see a more detailed description.      Thanks!

89RDG - here is the link from his original post about his resources

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/294177-led-set-up/?tab=comments#comment-1613863

Just scroll to the very bottom ;)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MRJBUICK said:

I would just like to go back a bit and ask DAVES89  what sequential kit did you use and how easy was it to install/where did you get it /how much

thanks for the help

Marty

I used a company called "Webelectrics" and got the "Universal" light harness. It was about $70.00 delivered and was wasn't too hard to wire in. There are instructions on Ronnie's website. This is one "upgrade" I really endorse.

The selection process for tail / stop 1157 LED's was a long process because they were all purchased from China through Ebay and it took a lot of trial and error to get the right brightness. I found that with most types (and none have an actual part #) the taillight element was not much dimmer than the stop element. I ended up as I said earlier putting a resistor (about 100 ohms 20 watts) in series with the tail elements which dropped the voltage down to about 8 volts.

Here are links to the 1157 and corner bulbs that I used. It will give you an idea of the watts / lumens  approximately.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-1157-High-Power-5630-Chip-Cree-LED-Red-Turn-Signal-Brake-Tail-Lights-Bulbs/231028588922?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-Red-T10-Wedge-High-Power-5630-10-SMD-LED-Interior-Light-168-192-194/301356520064?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

IMG_0755.JPG

IMG_0754.JPG

• Like 1

I don't have any nice visuals, but has anyone thought of tying the center four lights to the high mounted stoplight? I know it would require a relay and a harness change since there is no high filament wire to those bulbs, but that would free up the outer four bulbs on each side as turn signal, additional brake etc...