Found for sale in the UK

Chewbacca

1989 Reatta at a UK auction house.

19k miles from new has all paperwork back to the original build sheet and bill of sale.. Single UK owner from brand new. Car looks in good order but it's the only one I've ever seen.

Didn't sell in their last auction at £6000 reserve (around $8500).

Is this value for money?

Reatta 4.jpg

Reatta 1.jpg

There's not enough information provided for for estimating the price really.  Plus we don't know your market for a Reatta in the UK. It looks like a nice car in the two photos but I think $8500 would be a little high here in the US.

I find it odd that a car that has spent it's life in the UK would have what appears to be a Rebel flag on the rear???

The car has also had round amber side marker lights added to the front fenders ahead of the front door (as is compulsory in most ofI Europe). The rear lower bumper valence also has auxiliary turn signal/brake lights added (half red and half amber rectangular lamps). These probably were added as the Reatta lacks amber lenses for turn signals at the rear, and most countries in Europe will not certify a car with only red lenses at the rear.

This car looks nice, and being probably the only one in the UK, might be worth the ask based on scarcity. You couldn't get one that nice from the US, have it shipped over and add the auxiliary turn signals and other mods for less I don't think. Now, whether there's a market for it in England is the question. Finding that eccentric buyer who wants a "one of one in the country" that will be difficult to source parts and service for is going to be tough.

• Like 1

There is no market here. The dealer claims it is the only one in the UK. My 64 Riviera is supposedly one of only four in the UK. For whatever reason, Buicks don't have the cachet here that Ford, Chevy and Mopars do but I like something different.

The supplying dealer was from Naples and we have a small group of people in the UK who like to wear cowboy hats and pretend they were extras in the Dukes of Hazzard.

I'm asking values mainly to see if it would be worth making a very lowball offer.

• Like 1

That being the case, if the car interests you, and you don't mind the potential challenges inherent in getting parts shipped from the US when repairs are needed, what's to lose in making a low ball offer? I'd say (from the limited pictures at any rate) it is a nice car, certainly for the low mileage and it's paint and wheels look far better than average.

On this side of the pond, this car would look to be in the top 15-20% on overall condition from what I see. Even then, the market here in the US isn't great for the Reatta, and coupes of any year in this condition or even better seem to top out around $6500, with most fetching less than that. Convertibles will fetch better if their condition warrants the premium.

On the flip side, since Buick is not a particularly regarded marque in the UK, there probably isn't much to be said for the inherent exclusivity of owning this car. If you're the type who just likes something different for it's own sake,  this would fit that bill nicely. However, I don't  expect it will get a lot of attention at cruises and car shows though, based upon your assessment of how Buicks are perceived there. Really, a Reatta doesn't get much attention here except at all Buick shows where there are more people familiar with them present.

As to the good old boy bit, a Reatta clearly is an incongruous car to present that image. A muscle car or a pickup truck would fill the bill for those wanting to role play as extras from Hazzard county.

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 22/01/2018 at 5:42 PM, KDirk said:

That being the case, if the car interests you, and you don't mind the potential challenges inherent in getting parts shipped from the US when repairs are needed, what's to lose in making a low ball offer? I'd say (from the limited pictures at any rate) it is a nice car, certainly for the low mileage and it's paint and wheels look far better than average.

On this side of the pond, this car would look to be in the top 15-20% on overall condition from what I see. Even then, the market here in the US isn't great for the Reatta, and coupes of any year in this condition or even better seem to top out around $6500, with most fetching less than that. Convertibles will fetch better if their condition warrants the premium.

On the flip side, since Buick is not a particularly regarded marque in the UK, there probably isn't much to be said for the inherent exclusivity of owning this car. If you're the type who just likes something different for it's own sake,  this would fit that bill nicely. However, I don't  expect it will get a lot of attention at cruises and car shows though, based upon your assessment of how Buicks are perceived there. Really, a Reatta doesn't get much attention here except at all Buick shows where there are more people familiar with them present.

As to the good old boy bit, a Reatta clearly is an incongruous car to present that image. A muscle car or a pickup truck would fill the bill for those wanting to role play as extras from Hazzard county.

Thanks for the input. Gives me plenty to think about before the auction. I’ve no issues running something rare that needs parts sourcing from the US as I’m in that position already with my Riviera. I guess parts for the first gen Riviera are still easier come by than this Reatta.

Steering wheel is a 90. Also has a very strange license plate that says "Naples Florida" and appears to have registration sticker for November  1990 (11-90). Except I've never seen a Florida plate like that and registration is by county here. (Naples is in Collier county).

Only the VIN will tell the story. 

On 25/01/2018 at 4:11 AM, ol' yeller said:

I find it interesting that it is a Maui Blue car and an 89.  I thought that Maui Blue was first introduced in 1990.  In 89 the blue color offered was a darker blue.  I could be wrong...

The auction listing says 1990.

Model year vs year of manufacture??

Most countries rego list the year of manufacture. Model year is only for sales

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Well, that isn't an early build. Reatta VIN sequence numbers start at 90000 (last 5 digits of VIN) so this is number 3843 for 1990. Not sure how they would have had it listed as an 89, since Maui blue - the exterior color of this car - was introduced in 1990 replacing sapphire blue firemist offered  in 88 and 89 - and with this VIN number would've been built well into 1990. 

• Like 1