Princeton Auto Show Al Garganigo Brass Autos/Zimmermans

playswithbrass

Princeton Mass Historical Society are doing a talk and slide show on June 16 to document the history of the Princeton Antique Auto Museum from 1935 to 1962. They are inviting owners of cars from1900 to 1941 to attend and display their auto. It would be neat if some of the cars that were in this museum were brought back for this event! Seems to still be in the planning stages but details so far are on their website http://www.princetonmahistory.org 

Edited by playswithbrass
Other user good suggestion (see edit history)

When I was a teenager, I lived in Princeton. I loved to go to the museum. Mr. Garganigo was kind enough to allow local kids in for free. His cars were all beautifully restored. I hoped to get a summer job working in the restoration shop. However, in the late 1950s, he wasn't doing any more restoration work.

It was a beautiful museum: Approximately 200 cars, if I recall correctly. My favorites were the Pierce Arrows. He had some Pierce 33 and 66 touring cars from the teens and 1920s, and several sedans from the 1930s. I loved them all. When Mr. Garganigo died, the cars were actioned off. I think many went to a museum in Pennsylvania. I wish one had gone to me. :) Realistically, they were all museum quality, and I like drivers.

Phil

So it should not be underestimated how many early cars were preserved by first being in the Princeton collection and then in the Automobilorama collection of Zimmermans in Harrisburg PA . My interest is a little selfish. I have the Model k Cadillac, identified as a 1905 but actually a 1906, and because it was really not as impressive as most of the other cars, no one seems to have photographed it. I would love a shot of this car when it was in either collection!! You can see the lettering that Princeton put on the side of the body. There is a photo on the Historic Society website of a car with the same lettering. 

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

• Like 1