Is there Interest in an AACA group in the PNW?

Buffalowed Bill

We in the PNW seem to have fallen through the crack, as far as the AACA is concerned. Those effected by having no viable chapter, or group activities, within eight hundred miles of Seattle (its worse for people in the northern part of the state and BC) will understand who I'm talking to. Is there any interest in some of the concepts that the AACA seems to espouse? Several years ago I posed this issue, but it was sidetracked. I don't have a comprehensive roster, so I decided to go directly to the people on the forum.-Bill

Bill, have your been in touch with AACA HQ?  they can provide a list of nearby AACA members as a starting point.  All it takes sometimes is a "spark plug" like yourself to make contact and see if something can be accomplished.  I'm sure the folks at our HQ can also put you directly in touch with those responsible for Regions and Chapter development and support and/or membership to assist.  We certainly need some activity there-it's such a fabulous part of the country and I know there are old car enthusiasts out there.  Where are you located exactly?

Terry

• Like 2

When I first joined the club maybe 6-years ago I reached out to a local chapter that was listed and supposed to be the Portland region, but never got any sort of reply from them. I believe someone at HQ even did so on my bahalf but again with no response. They appeared to really only hold occasional meeting at one member’s home and no real events so I didn’t follow up.

In order to find and commune with other car enthusiasts I tend to hang out with various local car clubs instead, specifically Lotus, Mercedes, British car clubs, and to some degree the Ferrari guys, and also events like Cars and Coffee so I still get a solid car guy experience up here in the PNW. I can’t offer any explanation why the local chapters are so dead, as you know there’s a massive “old car” hobby up here with out no-rust environment so it never made sense to me either. 

The list of regions in the national magazine

shows not a single AACA region in Oregon.

There are none in Idaho, either.

There is one in the state of Washington:

the Fort Vancouver-Rose City Region,

whose president is in Washougal, Washington.

I don't know how close you are to them, Bill,

but at least it may be a start.

• Like 1

Terry if I'm a spark plug, I feel like I'm in a dead hole! I'm really not prepared to lead a fledgling group, just wanted to see if there is any real energy for something.  I'm just a month short of my 74th birthday, I finally just decided that it was now or never. I tried a different approach, several years ago. i inquired, and asked for help from the AACA HQ. I was given the name of the Western Reign representative, who was from Wisc. It was kind of interesting what the AACA considered as the West. I  got the impression that the rest of the country has little conception of the area, in North America, that I was talking about. After a short discussion that really led nowhere, I just decided to give it up. Any initial anguish has worn off, and there are no hard feelings.

I'm not crying the blues the Puget Sound area has quite an active car culture, but it's really fragmented. There is nothing quite as all encompassing as the AACA . There are street rod clubs, antique clubs, single marque clubs, tour groups and cruise nights, but what has always seemed to be lacking, is that one club that covers everything older then twenty five years old, that has both touring and maybe most importantly, points judging. 

The PNW has a wealth of nice survivor cars, but with no incentive to maintain there originality, I really worry about the future. My days of competitive judging are mostly over, but I'll never say never. I really do think that judging is an important part of the hobby. The long term health of  stock car does require the support of a club like the AACA. 

Keiser I understand what you are saying. Great tour roads down there, but sometimes you just want someone to share them with.

• Like 2

HI Bill , and thank you for bringing this up. I am sometimes in Seattle , and sometimes Ellensburg. I wonder if we have a sufficient membership base , and population density to sustain ongoing club activities ? If the Vancouver - Portland region has very little activity , along with Trevor , I wonder what the explanation is. It certainly could be a critical mass problem , with a chicken and egg quandary. You need a sufficient presence to attract members , but you need members to establish a presence. The establishing of a robust regional chapter cannot be accomplished solely by force of forum. What percentage of members participate here ? So contact by email to all local members , with a backup snail mailing would have to be the icebreaker. Here is what happened when I attended a Santa Barbara meeting. What a fine group they are ! The old thing was invited to park on the privately owned property , and of course it doesn't spot ! (much).      - Carl 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys, I’m in McMinnville, Oregon, which is about an hour southwest of Portland. I’d be happy to help someone start a NW group. I could get a list of members and help put out the word to see if we can drum up enough members. I am sure we can! This is something I’ve been hoping would happen!  

Let’s get a few of us in the NW that could work together and make this happen. Who is in?

3 hours ago, C Carl said:

Here is what happened when I attended a Santa Barbara meeting. What a fine group they are ! The old thing was invited to park on the privately owned property , and of course it doesn't spot ! (much).      - Carl 

Beautiful pictures Carl!

On 1/20/2018 at 1:52 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

The list of regions in the national magazine

shows not a single AACA region in Oregon.

There are none in Idaho, either.

There is one in the state of Washington:

the Fort Vancouver-Rose City Region,

whose president is in Washougal, Washington.

I don't know how close you are to them, Bill,

but at least it may be a start.

This is the group I was referring to in my post, Vancouver (WA) is right across the river from Portland and we are the "Rose City" which is a long time nickname. Oddly I haven't even thought of them since I tried to meet up those years ago so it seems there is no real activity or presence, not even at our Historic Racing Festival which has a massive car show attached. 

11 hours ago, C Carl said:

HI Bill , and thank you for bringing this up. I am sometimes in Seattle , and sometimes Ellensburg. I wonder if we have a sufficient membership base , and population density to sustain ongoing club activities ? If the Vancouver - Portland region has very little activity , along with Trevor , I wonder what the explanation is. It certainly could be a critical mass problem , with a chicken and egg quandary.

Man oh man Carl that is a sweet-looking machine, never get tired of the pics or stories! 

Fort Vancouver/Rose City Region certainly has the potential to build. I've visited with Joe Block and Mark Shaw earlier this year, and know that, with a show of support from other current and potential AACA members, the region could most assuredly be vibrant. There is lots of talent in and around the area, and also a great amount of interest. We need to let the hobby know we are there. Events will bring out the membership. Events which include a short drive and especially a meal will allow families to meet and enjoy one another, and will set the stage to plan other events.

Wouldn't a National Tour in that area be great? You know I'd be there, and so would a great many other who would love to visit there.

Thank's to those who responded.

Carl density of population is not a problem. Washington is the thirteenth largest state in the US, jut behind Virginia and just in ahead of Arizona. The four state region (including Montana) is without a doubt the fastest growing part of the US. We can't forget British Columbia, who I think most of us consider kin with this strange line that divides us. Unfortunately much of our growth come from young people who are flocking to to west side of Wa and Or. Their focus is defiantly not old cars!

The CCCA certainly know this area well. They have had a presence for a long time. the Olympic Peninsula and the northern part of the states are well known tour destinations. This area is really no secret. 

10 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Thank's to those who responded.

Carl density of population is not a problem. Washington is the thirteenth largest state in the US, jut behind Virginia and just in ahead of Arizona. The four state region (including Montana) is without a doubt the fastest growing part of the US. We can't forget British Columbia, who I think most of us consider kin with this strange line that divides us. Unfortunately much of our growth come from young people who are flocking to to west side of Wa and Or. Their focus is defiantly not old cars!

The CCCA certainly know this area well. They have had a presence for a long time. the Olympic Peninsula and the northern part of the states are well known tour destinations. This area is really no secret. 

I understand that HCCA also has a well supported presence, and would hope that, as is currently being developed, that AACA, HCCA, CCCA, VMCCA, as well as Marque Clubs will expand their ways of not only working together, but will seek out ways to host National Events.

Please keep me in the mix as time and events evolve!

15 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Events will bring out the membership

I joined and attended several meetings with the "Rose City AACA", but found that most members only wanted to participate in judged shows and very few one day drives with their "old cars".  Most of the members have post war cars capable of freeway speeds, so my older slower cars were not a good fit.  I am not a show car guy.  I like to drive my cars and only show as "display only" when a car show is held in conjunction with a tour or other activity.  There are not enough members in the local club to host a tour or other significant event without joint participation from other car clubs.  We explored the possibility of hosting a joint tour with the much larger HCCA, but we couldn't agree on joint participation without a judged car show.  Therefore I did not renew my membership for this year. 

• Like 2

On 1/21/2018 at 4:24 AM, victorialynn2 said:

Hey guys, I’m in McMinnville, Oregon, which is about an hour southwest of Portland. I’d be happy to help someone start a NW group. I could get a list of members and help put out the word to see if we can drum up enough members. I am sure we can! This is something I’ve been hoping would happen!  

Let’s get a few of us in the NW that could work together and make this happen. Who is in?

We could start perhaps by encouraging members to meet at Cars & Coffee down in Wilsonville each Saturday, or perhaps the Vintage Racing Festival at PIR, or Forest Grove Concours? I'm just thinking maybe if there is a standing event that would hold interest to AACA folks it would be a good way to meet & greet and get the ball rolling. I'm open to your ideas tho my time is limited to organize, I am interested to attend and perhaps even host as we have a property in the countryside outside of Portland near Oregon City with lots of space for parking cars on the lawn.

15 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

I understand that HCCA also has a well supported presence, and would hope that, as is currently being developed, that AACA, HCCA, CCCA, VMCCA, as well as Marque Clubs will expand their ways of not only working together, but will seek out ways to host National Events.

Please keep me in the mix as time and events evolve!

There are numerous amazing drives that could take place out here, and I definitely have seen motorcades of Pierce Arrows and Cadillacs sporting CCCA medallions, so there IS hope!

As stated above, depending upon the scheduling, I could even host a gathering, or be a stopping point or catch up point, at our home outside of Portland in Oregon City. 

3 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

I joined and attended several meetings with the "Rose City AACA", but found that most members only wanted to participate in judged shows and very few one day drives with their "old cars".  Most of the members have post war cars capable of freeway speeds, so my older slower cars were not a good fit.  I am not a show car guy.  I like to drive my cars and only show as "display only" when a car show is held in conjunction with a tour or other activity.  There are not enough members in the local club to host a tour or other significant event without joint participation from other car clubs.  We explored the possibility of hosting a joint tour with the much larger HCCA, but we couldn't agree on joint participation without a judged car show.  Therefore I did not renew my membership for this year. 

I have a 1962 car but I very much enjoy being around the cars of the 20's and 30's just to learn more about them, I'm also not a "car show guy" and prefer non-judged gatherings (like the Vintage Racing Festival), so there are plenty of us around who just want to drive, hang out, chat, and eat together. 

• Like 1

Mark,

You might check into the "Golden Era Automobile Association," it's headquartered in the Tacoma area. There are no judging events, they do tour, and they get together for socializing. It's a reasonably large group of us older folks and we do have a sizable number of pre-war cars. The club has purposefully been limited to pre-war cars, but recently they have, somewhat grudgingly, accepted cars as new as 1953. The highlight event is the picnic, at the Old Soldiers Home in Orting Wa, held in the last part of August. Unfortunately the home may be closing and, it's future is up in the air, as well as the future of the picnic may be changing. 

2 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

You might check into the "Golden Era Automobile Association,"

Thanks Bill,

I already belong to two HCCA regional groups in the Northwest, the Olympic Vintage Auto Club in Bremerton WA and the National BCA.  My local BCA group is all post-war cars and they don't do much touring.  I am already signed up for two pre-1916 HCCA tours this year and I am considering a VMCCA tour in Twin Falls ID.

I have known about the Golden Era annual event for years, but always had a scheduling conflict & never could attend. Maybe I can go this year...

• Like 1

I received a few letters in March 2014 from a AACA club member who was putting together people to do what you are talking about. I have the letters, and can post them. He goes by the user name jeff_a, he might have a lot of info that could help in putting together what you are talking about.