Speedster/race car trailer "Period stuff"

mikewest

I was trying to explain to my son in law what I wanted to build for a trailer to haul my race car.  I explained when I was a kid in my dads old car group there was a man Newt Sweet that had a teens Metz roadster and he hauled it everywhere  on a simple trailer with no bed , just 2 channels . It was just like this one with oversized wheels and tires and no springs. It worked great, was light and looked very cool and period. Today I found this shot and thought Id share it! I love the 37 Ford custom as well! I think these type trailers were quite common before trailers were mas produced like today.

midget on trailer.jpg

The only car trailer I have... and I haven't used it in years, is made from an old garage lift. I added 2" T&G planks between the sides to give it a floor - made out of salvaged roofing from a semi-bomb-proof barracks at the old Quonsett Point Naval Air Station. Years ago I helped a friend remove the engine from a 3 liter Bentley... it was delivered on the trailer, which my friend didn't have any place to keep, so he gave it to me.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

Yes the second pic in post #2 above does show the "truck" to be a Mercedes Benz as per the hood ornament , steering wheel , and hubcaps. Further close inspection shows the load being toted might well be the same make ! Hubcaps arouse suspicion.   - Carl 

It looks to me the Right Guy is doing the job. I wasn't trying to minimize the work, In my mind it looked like you had what you needed in front of you  to make the car great  like it was when new. Im looking forward to seeing the progress!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Looking to put together a trailer/rig myself.  I have a trailer I'm doing now but it will be more for long distance towing (say 1000 miles plus one way) and all enclosed so it can double as a garage.  For closer trips I plan on putting a hitch on the '38 zephyr sedan and constructing a light weight basic trailer out of a discarded aluminum boat trailer.  With this I will be able to tow the speedster I am building or my Mom's.

20190118_161412.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...