How would painting the Air Dam the car's body color- make the front look?

89RedDarkGrey

This isn't really a "power" enhancement idea- but I was wondering- without robbing someone else's photo- how would painting the Air Dam the car's body color- make the front look? Ronnie has pics of his car in another thread. I think (especially red) a red Air Dam would make the nose "look" lower. Being merely flat black- hides it, making the nose look really high.

2 minutes ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

This isn't really a "power" enhancement idea- but I was wondering- without robbing someone else's photo- how would painting the Air Dam the car's body color- make the front look? Ronnie has pics of his car in another thread. I think (especially red) a red Air Dam would make the nose "look" lower. Being merely flat black- hides it, making the nose look really high.

Interesting thought...But one would have to be careful not to CURB it if that was painted. I don't know if anywhere else has high parking blocks like we do here but it really frustrates me every time I accidentally hit one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Take a look at 63vikings car and see what you think. I personally like the them black.

EDIT: I should add that I do think 63vikings car looks good with air dam looks good since he has other normally black parts painted silver.

retiredmechanic74 also has the Air Dam painted the body color. Hmm... I'm going to experiment with my PhotoScape on a photo. I'm thinking- when I paint my car soon- just shoot that too. 

Mention of the air dam caused me to remember I tried an experiment a long time ago by lowering the dam some distance, maybe 1/2"-3/4". I made a simple U-tube water manometer and hung that in the cabin. I ran each leg of the manometer to the front of the car in the radiator area, one in front and one behind to see what the differential pressure was. After driving the car stock and with lowered dam, there was on average, a small increase in the differential pressure indicating to me that less air was getting under the car. A small thing maybe, but appeared to be genuine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

retiredmechanic74 also has the Air Dam painted the body color. Hmm... I'm going to experiment with my PhotoScape on a photo. I'm thinking- when I paint my car soon- just shoot that too. 

I suspect the painting the rocker panel covers and maybe the modesty panel under the rear may add to the lowered effect. Hmmm.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2seater said:

I suspect the painting the rocker panel covers and maybe the modesty panel under the rear may add to the lowered effect. Hmmm.

YES. Like I said before- others complain about the stance, height, etc. The "Ground Effects" are already there- their just stupidly hidden by the color. I think "lowering" the body color would dramatically change the overall appearance.

1 hour ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

You want some "performance Upgrades"? They say the engine bay is the "Jewelry Box" of the car- I wonder how many Reatta would've sold with this under the hood??598d0bc5890e3_new011.thumb.JPG.c4630bb4002cb566e7b96b6aed26dbbc.jpg.0b56530e3d55f3b6132732a782c03605.jpg

That sure is purtyB) I think I'll close my hood now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only Reattas I have seen with the front spoiler painted are ones that have been repainted and the paint shop was too lazy to mask off the spoiler.

If you do the front would you also do the back?   Maybe the wheel wells, where do you stop.....at some point it starts to look like a vacuum molded plastic car.

Here is another black car for whoever ask.

91 bk 1.jpg

• Like 3

I think we should all be cautious of posting photos of other members' cars that have been modified using photo editing software without their express permission. ( I'm guilty of doing this myself.)

Just because we find photos here in the forum or elsewhere on the Internet does not mean that those photos are in the public domain. The original person who took the photo automatically has copyrights to the photos unless he/she expressly relinquishes those rights. I have a feeling that grScott may not like the photos of his car modified and reposted. He takes a lot of pride in how his car looks and the photos of it he posts. Just sayin...

• Thanks 1

I think the effect of painting everything to match is much like a painting or photograph that looks different with a matt to crop the appearance or not. Without a border the eye has a tendency to extend the object to a point where there is some perceived difference. The black trim does create a definite border on everything but the one example of course but is practical from a maintenance standpoint.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

The only Reattas I have seen with the front spoiler painted are ones that have been repainted and the paint shop was too lazy to mask off the spoiler.

If you do the front would you also do the back?   Maybe the wheel wells, where do you stop.....at some point it starts to look like a vacuum molded plastic car.

Here is another black car for whoever ask.

91 bk 1.jpg

That is a beautiful Reatta!  I like the wheels on a '91 much better than other years and they make a black Reatta really pop.

4 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

If you do the front would you also do the back?

Yes. 

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:11 PM, 2seater said:

1 hour ago, 63viking said:

The front air dam looks 100% better painted, along with the side rockers and the rear panel.

I don't know why the factory didn't figure it out. The car looks finished when it is painted.

The black plastic looks naked  and unfinished.

That is exactly what I'm talking about.

4 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Maybe the wheel wells, where do you stop.....at some point it starts to look like a vacuum molded plastic car.

No, not the wheel wells- those are black (dark) on almost every vehicle I've ever seen, or worked on. I'm strictly referring to how the black lower portions (Air Dam, rocker panels, Modesty Cover) make the body appear to be higher than it actually is. Take 3 photos of your own red, and Photoshop red in those areas- to see what I mean. The only color that isn't dramatic with this effect is black (for obvious reasons). Every other color would effectively "lower" the car.

Wasn't painting the molding the same as body color an option, like "pinstripe delete"? Many owners paint the mirrors, too.

For $28k in 1989- Each unto his own.

Ronnie, have seen that a few times actually. I'm not really enamored of the painted bumper look, but if the finish is shot, it is a relatively cheap way to hide it, compared to stripping and polishing the aluminum and then either powder coating it or having it anodized again.

I do like some bright work on a car. That said, I've repainted the chrome on the outside door handles on one of the 88's because the chrome was shot, and will be doing the same on the 91 convertibles. May also do that on the 91 coupe as the chrome on those handles is starting to pit. 

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Since the exposed aluminum on a lot of Reatta bumpers needs refinishing, I'm surprised that we don't see any Reattas that have the aluminum painted over on the tops of the bumpers.

Because of it's nature- it's nearly impossible to get paint to stick to anodized aluminum. The only real way to "clean" it- is to have it electrochemically stripped, then anodized again. Even a "self etching" primer wouldn't work. To knock down the "bling" of a shiny bumper, and make it easier to maintain- you could add color (of body?) to the anodizing solution.

I remember reading here before- an owner had the bumpers redone. It's not hugely expensive. Our bumpers are probably done with sulfuric acid. There are Shops all around the Country. 

Kevin, I like bright trim too. The finish on my bumpers are yellowing and have a few minor scratches. I need to refinish them but just haven't gotten to it yet. When I do I will probably just sand and polish them the same way I did when I refinished the Mustang wheels. It takes a lot of time but you can make them look like chrome if you put forth the effort. Then hit them every now and then with Mother's Metal polish to keep them looking good.

Problem with reanodizing is the size of the tank needed to do a Reatta bumper. Very few places have the facilities to do so. Save for that, it wouldn't be that tough or expensive. But, if you have to ship it halfway across the country to get it done, it is no longer an economically  viable proposition for most Reatta owners. 

• Like 1

I stripped my bumpers and had them polished. They now look like chrome but are hard to keep

looking good.

I used aircraft paint stripper on them to take the anodizing off and then took them to a polishing Co. and had them polished.

I think you could just take them to a polisher and they could polish the finish off and not bother to strip them.

33 minutes ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

This is a response to a question regarding anodized aluminum from an Educational Forum)

"Hello, I am a chemist that works in a metal finishing shop and we anodize parts for aerospace

Please do us a favor and stop posting the results of your google searches here on the forum.  What you posted only serves to clutter the forum with unnecessary information that interrupts the discussion. If you have first hand knowledge to contribute please do so but please stop giving a lecture on every subject that comes up based on what you read on the Internet.  Thanks.