AIR CLEANER QUESTION

jframe

My 65 has a Rochester 4gc carb. I want to redo my air cleaner, new paint, new metal plate, decal, etc. I bought a spacer to use an aftermarket air cleaner while I am redoing my factory one that will adapt to the correct neck size. My question is, will a drop base type air cleaner work, or do I have to use one that sort of perches up high on the carb? I would prefer the drop base if possible, if nothing else but for more hood clearance. This is prolly short term use, but I just wondered what works best.

17 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

why do you want to adapt your air cleaner.......just put the correct carburetor on the car.

I wang to leave the 4GC on the car and drive it while I am redoing the factory air cleaner. I needed the adapter to fit a temporary aftermarket air cleaner to the neck of the 4GC.

It's almost impossible to find an aftermarket air cleaner that has the air horn the size of an AFB or 4GC.  Most all are designed to fit the later Q-jet, Edelebrock AFB or AVS, or Holley carbs. The adapter is necessary or size down the breather to the carb. The adapter raises the air cleaner so using a drop base allows the use of a taller filament.

I run a stock 401 air cleaner on my 425 with an AfB. I had a correct Riviera air filter but it covered up my nicely painted turquoise engine. I like seeing the engine more so after about 20 years of the flat orange filter kicking around the garage I sold it on Ebay.

Bernie