Mystery part

hermanangus

Hi , as I have looked at different First Gen Motor Bay pics I have noticed a couple of different things sometimes attached in front of the washer fluid reservoir on the drivers side inner fender. This one was particularly interesting. Any thoughts? My Car(Second Pic) seems to have the holes drilled to mount one of these things.

1964-Buick-Riviera-American Classics--Car-100857212-fde4abd78c52a524cddef18da9ef913e.jpg

004.JPG

Edited by hermanangus
addition (see edit history)

Are you referring to the vacuum storage canister?  Every 63 was equipped with one.  Or is it something else you're asking about.

Is that your car?  Look at this pictures of a 63 Riviera engines and you'll see that the air cleaner is painted an orangish red and there's a decal that goes on the lid.  63s also had a round silver decal of a wildcat on the snorkle.

This particular car does not have a/c.  But the air cleaner is oriented correctly.

download.jpeg.6da42d7afccdb38767b48835b813ddc3.jpeg

On 1/19/2018 at 1:10 PM, RivNut said:

Are you referring to the vacuum storage canister?  Every 63 was equipped with one.  Or is it something else you're asking about.

Is that your car?  Look at this pictures of a 63 Riviera engines and you'll see that the air cleaner is painted an orangish red and there's a decal that goes on the lid.  63s also had a round silver decal of a wildcat on the snorkle.

This particular car does not have a/c.  But the air cleaner is oriented correctly.

download.jpeg.6da42d7afccdb38767b48835b813ddc3.jpeg

Nope, not every 63 did. The one I had did not. The spots in the inner fender for the mounting holes were not punched out. This was an original car I bought from the original owner who had bought it in either Sept/Oct 62. I'm sure it was a very early production model. I had always thought the tank was for A/C equipped cars since mine was not, but I guess this was not true.

The picture I posted is of an early production 63 without air. You can tell it's an early production model by the size (small) dent in it.  It was later enlarged to make room for the bell of the larger of the two four note horns.  

I've never seen a 63 without a canister on the inner fender.  Do you have a picture of that car's engine compartment?

14 minutes ago, RivNut said:

The picture I posted is of an early production 63 without air. You can tell it's an early production model by the size (small) dent in it.  It was later enlarged to make room for the bell of the larger of the two four note horns.  

I've never seen a 63 without a canister on the inner fender.  Do you have a picture of that car's engine compartment?

Here you go.

It also had the large horns mounted to the bottom of the hood which can barely be seen in the photo.

IMG_0025.jpg

Edited by Bleach (see edit history)

The tank may only be on AC cars or ones with vacuum door locks.

Remember there were a lot of Tom McCahill fans buying those cars and they would keep their foot into it pretty deep. And drop the AC.

I live about 6 miles beyond the end of the expressway. When I get on there is a stoplight and two miles of straight road. On a hot day you feel the dash vents open and full hot air flowing about 5 seconds after the light turns green. I back off about 85 and everything goes back to normal. That's with the B-body Roadmasters and Impala.

Makes me smile, though.

Bernie

No power door locks, electrical or vacuum, on a '63.  In '64 Buick went to a small plastic vacuum canister that was mounted on the passenger's side inner fender.  The picture that I posted in #7 is a car with a vacuum canister and no air conditioning.  Power brakes were not an option on the Riviera in '63; they were standard equipment and Tom T. is correct, the canister was hooked to the power brake booster.

My 63 was an early production A/C car and had the tank, my recollection is that it was hooked to the brake booster. When I installed the Vintage Air system I deleted the tank but kept it not knowing if it would affect the brakes. It turned out to have no effect on brakes but then I deleted all HVAC vacuum requirements.

DSCF1352.JPG

DSCF7158.JPG

22 hours ago, RivNut said:

Perhaps it's a storage canister so that you'd have vacuum for the booster should your engine suddenly die.  ???

I think that was at least part of its purpose. My 1963 Olds Starfire also has such a tank but in a more hidden location, maybe it was a 1963 thing...

DSCF3792.JPG